“...first time....experience was okay...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of El Agave - CLOSED

El Agave
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Sandy, Utah
“...first time....experience was okay...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

There are a lot of mom and pops Mexican restaurants in town...not any one is outstanding from our perspective so we thought we'd give Agave a try. We went on Saturday evening expecting a crowd, but we were seated immediately. The host and wait staff are pleasant and eager to please. As other reviewers have stayed the decor is new and the menu has "routine" Mexican fare. Fresh chips and two salsas (tomato and cabbage) were brought while we were perusing the menu. I selected the chipotle enchiladas with rice and beans...my husband ordered carne aside and a chile relleno also with r&bs.

The red salsa is very much tomato based...too thick for my taste...almost as though it was
straight from the can with some onions and heat added. The cabbage offering appeared to be filling for fish tacos...dry and not impressive.
Rice and beans were typical. The filling of the chipotle enchiladas was fine; chunks of chicken
breast and spices. The sauce was again of the same thick tomato consistency that the salsa was made from...not appealing to me.
My husband enjoyed the carne asada which was thinly sliced and well marinated...(they forgot to bring the warmed tortillas with his meal) relleno was fair, battered but not deep fried and the Anaheim chile had heat.
Service was timely and pleasant....but we felt no compelling reason to return.

• Visited January 2013

Salt Lake City, Utah
“Great Mexican restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were happy to find a Mexican restaurant in the valley that was different than the others. So many have the same food, but Agave is a cut above the others. The food is fresh and delicious. I'm happy to recommend this restaurant!

• Visited October 2012
Utah
“OK Mexican food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

The decorating is the best part of this restaurant. They have really gone all out to convey a "Mexican" feel. Unfortunately, the food isn't as good. We each had something from the lunch menu and the food was pretty unremarkable. With so many Mexican restaurants to choose from, nothing at El Agave sets it apart except the really nice chairs and tables. Probably would not go here again.

Visited October 2012
Sandy, Utah
“SOOOOO Freakin Good!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have been to this restaurant twice now and it is SOOOOOO yummy! Super fresh authentic food, the staff are unbelievable and the decor is gorgeous carved wood chairs and benches. Very open atmosphere, quick service, super friendly and very happy to please their customers. I love this place and have already taken three of my friends here...can't wait to spread the word!

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank danielle r
Salt lake City
“Great place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

This place had been open less than 3 weeks when my wife & I went for dinner. Much work had been put into remodeling and changing the insides of this building that had formerly housed another restaurant. The result is a fresh, bright, colorful Mexican motif. This Sandy location is the third of three family-run Mexican restaurants, the other two in Washington state. Service was attentive and professional. Warmed tortilla chips and salsa were immediately brought to our table. I had the carnitas burrito plate and my wife had the spinach & mushroom enchilada. Both were excellent
I would rate the food next to the Red Iguana (long established SLC premier place for authentic Mexican) and the dining area much more spacious and relaxed. It was a good experience and we intend to go back.

• Visited September 2012