“Unimaginative Japanese”

Add it.
Mikado
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We went out for an early New Years Eve dinner. On the way we noticed most of the restaurants along the way were packed so when we got to Mikado and saw only a few tables occupied we were somewhat concerned but decided to go in anyway since we had had so many excellent meals at their former location in downtown SLC. The appetizers were excellent so we were optimistic. However when the Chefs Sashimi platters arrived were could not believe it was simply slices of fish on a plate with a banana leaf. No artistry or decoration Japanese cuisine is noted for. Only a small dab of wasabi and some ginger! The fish was only OK. My daughters Kobe style steak arrived about 10 minutes later and the minute she tried to cut into the steak she knew it would not be a good experience. It was tough and tasteless and after tasting we agreed wholeheartedly with her. To the restaurants credit they took this off the bill, which arrived without being requested nor were we given the opportunity for tea or desert should we have wanted it (we didn't) so we paid and left vowing not to return!!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Very impressed overall and enjoyed several meals there over two stays. Really liked the service and food quality. Though at a higher price point for the area, compared to an equivalent meal in Connecticut, I was quite pleased with the seemingly discounted rates.

Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

This is our second time there. Last visit 2011 as we live out East. Sushi is so so because a LOT of rice in the rolls. But we got great prices for Happy Hour. Gyozas were good. Tempura good. Service again wonderful. Cool looking place.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We came here for dinner tonight because my daughter kept asking to come here.
We ordered a variety of rolls during their happy hour. We had their California roll, Playboy roll, Crunchie Roll and Rainbow roll. We also ordered a couple of bento boxes (regular and surf and turf). For apps, we had a couple orders of gyoza and edamame.

All our dishes were good - not great, not bad. The rolls had a lot of rice on them, but that is what I always expect when I order rolls during any happy hour at any Japanese restaurants. The bento box had a lot of food and variety of tempura, rice with your choice of meat and California roll. My son said his beef was good and I tasted my daughter's chicken. To me, it had way too much butter.

Would I come back here again? Only if my daughter asked again. You know, she is my little girl.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is our go-to place for excellent sushi. Jeremy's creation - Green Goblin - is superb with wasabi infused tobiko. We take our whole family to Mikado for a pre-Christmas dinner each year (20 people) and it's great to be able to spread out in a couple of tatami rooms. Sometimes they get an order wrong or slip up on service but they always make it right for us. When we walk in the door they start our Mikado Prawns without us even asking. We ate there last night and he food was outstanding. A perfect dinner for us is Mikado Prawns, Green Goblin, Playboy, Connect Roll & an Ahi Tuna Salad. Yummy!!