“A "hole in the wall" worth the visit!”
Review of Adobo's Caribbean Grill - CLOSED

Adobo's Caribbean Grill
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban
Salt Lake City, Utah
“A "hole in the wall" worth the visit!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

A friend showed me this place not too long ago and now it is on my "must try" list to share with friends and colleagues coming into town. Pricing is good, food is great, and it's definitely different from much that you'll find down in Sandy, UT. So far, everything on the menu has been good...so be adventurous and experiment!

• Visited January 2013

Salt Lake City, Utah
“A disappointment”
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Got a mailer on Adobo so gave it a try. I travel a lot so I may be a little picky on restaurants. The decor is a fun Caribbean, the service is quick but our server had a valley girl attitude which got annoying. The food was served quick and clearly just warmed. It was bland and very low on the Wow meter. Will not go back.

Salt Lake City, UT
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I've driven past Adobo's countless times, but since it's located in a less-than-glamorous strip mall, I was never enticed to check it out. My loss! When I finally decided to give it a go, I was pleasantly surprised.

The place is small, sort of a Mom and Pop kind of restaurant. Not the most outstanding interior, but it was clean and inviting.

The house specialty is the mofongo. Never having tried anything remotely similar, I was a little hesitant, but the server assured me it was delicious. And sure enough, it was amazing! I settled on grilled chicken breast mofongo. It was crispy, with wonderfully flavored tomato sauce and some veggies. Simple, yet right to the point. They even made it without an ingredient I'm allergic to. It wasn't a problem at all. Even my 2 year old liked mofongo! My companion had a sandwich and salad, both which were pretty generous.

The service was casual and friendly. We promptly got our drinks and food arrived in time too.

Overall, great place, I'm glad I decided to try it and will definitely be back for some more mofongo!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank hatifnati
SLC, UT
“Food Seduction”
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Having no recollected experience with Cuban food, we were excited to try Adobo's. While checking out their online menu, I was surprised to note that it featured a somewhat infamous dish called Mofongo (thank you, Guy Fieri). That's all we needed to know - we are in the car on our way there. Good call. No - great call.

Friday evening was busy, but our party of 3 adults was seated immediately. The friendly hostess turned out to be our waitress, and then cashier. We believe she was the owner or co-owner? She was delightful and informative, and seemed genuinely interested in providing us an overall satisfying experience. The personalized table service is really nice as it allows the patron to become familiar with the menu items at a leisurely pace.

We promptly ordered drinks - Pina Coladas (a house specialty, very tasty), and their Caribbean Fruit Punch which was *amazing* (a truly magical mix of tropical juices). They offer wine and beer currently - due to the laws of the State of Utah, they patiently await their full liquor license (fingers crossed).

We contemplated the tempting appetizers, but...let's face it...we were clearly on a Mofongo mission. We each ordered the intriguing dish a different way. All beautifully presented, the Grilled Chicken Breast Mofongo delivered a mild spice, and was cooked perfectly. The Ropa Vieja (shredded Cuban beef) was very tasty - a lightly spicy-sweet meat infusion piled like a volcanic eruption over the Mofongo shell. And, last the best of all the game, the Spicy Creolle Shrimp was made from heaven. The shrimp were large, meaty and perfectly cooked (which is a technique eluding so many restaurants). The spice was tangy and just right if you enjoy a little kick! In general, the Mofongo was every bit the taste sensation we had hoped for - the fried green plantain smashed with olive oil, garlic, chiccarones, and salt. Sounds way too simple to be *that* good, but as we've often proven to ourselves, it's the simple things that are often the very best.

We were stuffed after the entrees - those Mofongos are decievingly filling - but we were powerless against the temptation of the house dessert - Guav Vabestia. Are you ready for this? It's a warm empanada filled with guava and cream cheese; served with vanilla ice cream, a trio of sauces, and whipped cream. I'm personally still daydreaming about this. My instinct was to greedily reach my arm around the plate, and stab with a fork anyone who dared approach. But, I didn't. I shared it with my two dinnermates, who both felt the same way as I did about it.

We couldn 't have been more pleased with our Adobo's experience - the friendly and prompt 'didn't-miss-a-beat' service, the astoundingly good menu fare, all served up at a reasonable price. Yeah, we'll be back. Is tomorrow too soon?

Next time, we look forward to trying the house Sangria and the specialty wings!

• Visited June 2011