“You get what you pay for”

Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Sandy
Utah
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed March 14, 2009

This hotel is cheaper than the others in the immediate area for a reason - once a week service, paper thin walls, lousy beds. But, I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. I was hard pressed to find anything more economical that I could tolerate for a long term stay. Most of the problems are caused by inconsiderate guests who bang cabinets late at night, stomp down the halls in muddy boots, and people who open their door into the hall while cooking stinky stuff. If you are OK with Days Inn, Super 8, and Motel 6, this will be a step up. If price is less important you may prefer a remodeled La Quinta, or Holiday Inn Express for a bit more money.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Noise, clientele
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank 4q2a

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Creswell, Oregon
Reviewed May 24, 2008

The rates on this hotel and the fact that the others around it were sold out caused us to stay here. I'm not sure we would do that again. While the rooms were a reasonable size, the amenities were pretty lacking - no soap, no shampoo, had to buy extra pillows and blankets, etc. Elevator reeked of cigarette smoke. No cleaning service except for an extra fee.

None of that would have phased me had the staff been marginally pleasant and/or the internet functioning. The hotel advertised wireless. Yes - we could get a signal BUT the internet was slower than dial-up! I was not able to download any emails with picture attachments, and it was so painful that it was virtually unusable.

When I called the front desk to ask if she could contact their internet provider, she (Joanna) refused, told me that was not her responsibility, and was extremely rude about it despite my explaining that it was un-useable. With that kind of attitude, there is no way I would come back to this hotel.

I have to agree with the last reviewer - drive somewhere else where they actually care about your business.

• Liked — Low price, other hotels were sold out
  • Disliked — Incredibly rude staff, horrible internet access, lacked basic toiletries, did I mention REALLY rude staff?
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank jjonak
ftl
Reviewed February 29, 2008

I ended up here because all the other hotels near the client were booked. If this happens to you, drive a little longer and stay somewhere else.

If you are looking at this property for price, remember you get less than you pay for.

Beyond location and price, there isn't a single aspect of this property I can compliment or recommend.

It is not clean: the carpets are matted and stained through out the hotel, including in the room.

There is a strong unpleasant smell in the halls. Someone was nice enough to leave the ground floor hall window open to try to reduce it, incidentally, it was Feb. This smell seeps into the room also. Sadly, I was there for 4 days, so this wasn't some one time thing.

They use re-usable keys rather than modern programmable keys, so if you have security concerns that doesn't help.

Poor Maint & Amenities:
Sloooooow internet. Poor Maint (Non-functional kitchen sink, bathroom lights missing covers, etc ) Uninviting worn out looking bed and bedding. The office closes at 11 or 11:30. If you have a late flight, you get a "night attendant". They seem minimally functional with the procedures and systems required to complete check in.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Being there
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
4 Thank x_bob_x
Austin, TX
Reviewed January 29, 2008

I was booked into this hotel by my company due to there not being other rooms available at other hotels.

This hotel may be fine for those people looking to stay for weeks at a time, but for most business or pleasure travelers needs, I'd look elsewhere.

Although my room was clean, it didn't seem very inviting. The beds were probably the worst I've ever slept on. If you like a firm bed, then these are the ones for you. I think the floor might have been better. The sheets were thin and made me itch. In a cold place like Utah, having a nice warm bed would have been nice.

The entire week I was at this hotel, there was always a terrible smell in the elevator and the hallways. It smelled like an ashtray or bad food all week. It never changed.

The elevator had exposed wires and dirty floors. Not the place if you have kids.

The final straw was when their boiler broke on the last day. No hot water! And, they didn't bother to tell anyone so everyone had to find out by taking cold showers.

I can't honestly recommend this hotel to anyone and feel safe about doing so. I will say that I never felt unsafe here, but that's definitely not enough to get me to go back here.

• Liked — Close to business meeting
  • Disliked — The beds are terrible! Like sleeping on rocks.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank KKAustin
Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed July 2, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the ESA in Sandy during the International Convention of Rotary International for six nights in mid-June, 2007. Airfare alone from our town in Oregon to Salt Lake was $489 per person, but I found the exact same air, all air taxes, six nights lodging and all hotel taxes for $411 per person on Priceline. We rented a car at SLC airport and when we needed to go to the city, we drove a half mile to the TRAX station and rode in from there on light rail. It takes about 35 minutes each way. It was very clean and efficient and although we did drive it a couple of times, TRAX was the better option. Our room featured what was described as a *full kitchen* but it was sorely lacking. We had two small saucepans, flatware service for two, a dull, medium-sized knife and a cutting board. There were no fry pans, large Dutch ovens or even a colander in the room. I couldn't have cooked a meal of spaghetti if I'd tried. Also, there are no hair dryers in the rooms, although the front desk did loan us one for our stay. As previous posters have noted, there are a number of restaurants in the immediate area, all within walking distance, both sit-downs and fast foods. There is no daily maid service, but you can obtain fresh towels by trading out with either the room maid as you catch them in the hallway or with the front desk. This wasn't the Ritz, and we didn't expect it to be, but it was very sparce. Also, the room reeked of smoke....*sigh* But all in all we got what we paid for and more. (Like a free room.)

• Liked — Many restaurants nearby, as well as a shopping mall.
  • Disliked — No pool.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank pilotgirl210
New Zealand
Reviewed April 9, 2006

I stayed in ESA Sandy from 23 Feb to 11 Mar 2006. I was there to ski the 4 Cottonwood Canyon resorts (Alta, Brighton, Snowbird, Solitude). Because I was booked for 16 nights I got the weekly rate which was $260 including tax. I was on my own and had a room with one double bed.

At checkin a different rate was mentioned, since I didn't have my rate in writing and it was after 5pm the lady suggested we leave it till the next day. (I had it in an email which was on my laptop) The next afternoon we sorted it all out and I got the rate I'd been promised with no problems.

The room was a good size especially for a skier with lots of clothing needing to dry / air out each night as well as skis and boots. Having two tables was handy as I could leave my laptop set up on one and eat at the other. The kitchen contained a fullsize fridge/freezer, a two-element rangetop (i.e. no oven) and a microwave. This latter was a little inconvenient to use because it was below the benchtop.

In the kitchen cupboards there was a medium-size pan, a small-medium pot, a colander, and two of each type of dish plus two mugs and two tumblers. A can opener (which broke during my stay -- but was immediately replaced by the front desk), two knives suitable for medium-duty cutting jobs, two forks, one desert spoon (the front desk gave me a second one on request) and two teaspoons. I think there were a couple of blunter knives also but I didn't use those.

In short, everything I needed to put together simple cheap meals.

I enjoyed staying at the ESA Sandy very much and will definitely be staying there when I ski Utah again. The staff were always friendly and the hotel is in a great location (see below).

Since budget was very important to me, I used the ski bus system [--]. The bus stop is outside the Best Western next door to the ESA, very convenient.

For groceries I went to the Super Target which is less than a mile away, this is a full grocery store as well as a Target store. Everything you'd need including fresh fruit and veges.

There are about a dozen cheap and/or chain restaurants in the immediate vicinity (within a mile of ESA), so if you didn't want to cook you could still eat at a different place each night. Also within a 5 minute walk is a Subway which I used several times for lunches. I don't know about alcohol stores since I don't drink when I'm skiing.

For ski lift ticket discounts I walked 5 minutes to the Canyon Sports store [--], they sell lift ticket vouchers to just about every Utah skifield. For the Cottonwood resorts the discounts were around $5 per day each. You can buy the vouchers ahead of time, i.e. you don't have to buy them on the day you will use them. Very convenient.

The hotel rooms are serviced once a week -- this didn't bother me but if you like having your bed made for you and towels changed every day then perhaps staying somewhere a bit more expensive is a good idea. I wanted a place that was warm and secure and I got that and much more from the ESA Sandy. Even though I was there on my own, I was given four bathtowels, four handtowels and two facecloths each week. This was great because I did a fair amount of handwashing (of clothes) and it was good to have clean towels to lay things out on to dry.

One thing that I did find a bit annoying was the thinness of the walls and ceilings. The first week I was there I thought they must be quite thick because I didn't hear any of my neighbours. However, it turned out that the hotel was not full and the second week I had some noise problems. I never was bothered by the TV next door...but the person above me seemed to like using their spa bath at 4am!!!!

However overall I am delighted with ESA Sandy and will stay there again whenever I am in the area. For the downside of learning to ignore my upstairs neighbour I had a very well-priced room with everything I needed, perfectly located for skiing the Cottonwood canyons and self-catering without a car.

• Stayed March 2006
15 Thank KiwiSkier
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandy
Hampton Inn Salt Lake City/Sandy
Sleep Inn South Jordan
Sleep Inn South Jordan
#4 of 5 in South Jordan
Best Western Plus Cottontree Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sandy
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City / Sandy

Been to Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy? Share your experiences!