“Friendly staff, poor accommodations!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy

Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Sandy
Vancouver, Washington, United States
“Friendly staff, poor accommodations!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Horrible mold odor in room, dogs keeping us awake all night(s) in the room above, and fridge never got cold spoiling our food. :( We were downgraded into a room with smaller bed and the price was not even offered an adjustment. The stairway's had a bad odor and the were people outside behind the the hotel blasting their music and drinking beer and being noisy as if they were at a party and had no regards for the hotel patrons. Perhaps this was an isolated incident but it left a bad taste in our mouths and we would not recommend coming here to our friends or family. On a positive note, the staff was friendly and tried to do their best,

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor so others above do not disturb you.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Sam P
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Sam - Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We appreciate the kind comments about the staff; however, we apologize that there was an issue with your original room and the second was a bit smaller. As well, that you were disturbed by other guests in the new room. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am speaking with our maintenance staff about making repairs to your original room and reviewing with the entire staff different ways to ensure these types of situations are not repeated.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at sls@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The staff was very helpful and responsive to our needs. The facility is well equipped for an extended stay. Only issue was a faulty phone/phone line that seemed to be quite a challenge to rectify (but the staff went to great efforts to correct the problem). Very limited television channel selections for an extended stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Lisa - I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that our staff was helpful and courteous during your stay. We all take guests feedback very seriously, so when we receive comments like yours, it truly makes us smile.

Jackson, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We recently were at the Extended Stay America/Sandy UT for business. What a delightful experience: staff very friendly and attentive to our requests, room ample in size, clean, location super for dining, shopping, coffee shops, groceries, easy expressway access. We also travel with our dogs...what a relief to have a location that offered great "long dog walk" areas. Would highly recommend this particular Extended Stay America location. Others we have stayed in have been good, but this one raised the bar!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I'm so pleased to hear that you and your dogs were comfortable while staying with us. We loved having the opportunity to see all of the talented dogs that were here for the dog show!

Harrah, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I read the reviews for this hotel before my stay, which almost stopped me from booking it. However based on the rate I received, I decided to take my chances. It is definitely in need of some upgrades, such as the elevator and the curtains in some of the rooms. But it is clean, and well maintained. The kitchen offers a few cooking items, which is sufficient, if you are creative enough. It also offers 2 of each eating item, such as plates, cups, etc. Since it is an extended stay, house keeping only comes once a week, you may need to ask the front desk to replenish certain items, such as T.P.

Don't expect a 3 or 4 star experience, you get what you pay for. This hotel offers just the basics, which is why it only has 2 stars. So, if you are looking for an inexpensive hotel, in a safe location, this is a good choice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Annette A
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Annette - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am sorry that you found the elevator and curtains in need of upgrading; however, I am very happy to read that you found our hotel and your room to be clean . As well, I am so glad that you enjoyed the in-room kitchen .

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at sls@extendedstay.com. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Riverton, Utah, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I do have to agree with some of the previous comments about the hotel being slightly outdated, HOWEVER, what is not mentioned are the things that more than make up for it. I stay in hotels on an average of 10-20 nights per month. I have stayed with many different hotels, with many different chains, with many different upgrades and/or amenities. I won't claim to be an expert but do feel I know a little about staying in hotels. I stayed in this hotel a while back & was definitely not impressed with that first stay. The hotel was not only in need of some TLC but the people and staff were just "ok" & appeared to be there for nothing more than a paycheck. A few months after that was my second stay. NIGHT & DAY DIFFERENCE!! They had brought in new management & it was apparent, not only in the staff but also in the effort to improve the hotel's appearance & atmosphere. I had an opportunity to interact with every staff member (including housekeeping) at least once during my stay & the customer service of each one of them was more than any 5 star rating (which if you ask me, is worth more than a couple upgrades or amenities). Because the staff does take so much pride in their jobs & make the guests' (& their pets' should they be staying as well) comfort their main priority (short term & long term), I'm positive the company will make sure the updating of the hotel and the additional (& needed) staff will not be too far down the road. I would (& constantly do) recommend this hotel to everyone, it's definitely worth it (at least to me) & has become my home away from home. So to Stephanie (manager), Nicole, Lecia, Mandi & Josh (both of whom I miss greatly), Emily, Adriana, Che're, Tina, Kay, Erica, Raul & Arnold: thanks for always going above & beyond & doing so with a smile...not because it's your job & so feel required or obligated to, but because you want to and enjoy doing it. Bubba & I won't stay anywhere else because of it.

Room Tip: Suites at the end have two windows; Rooms on the southwest are quieter
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that our staff has taken such great care of you during your stays with us. Myself, Nicole, Lecia, Mandi, Josh, Emily, Adriana, Che're, Tina, Kay and Erica truly enjoyed having you visit with us and we would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Portland, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Unfortanetly we had a horrible experience. The place had many people lurking around late at night and the room was not only outdated but... very dirty. Bathroom kitchenette bed... all dirty. We had planned to stay 6 nights but checked out after just one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hank115
Eleal, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize you had a horrible experience with us. To ensure doesn't happen again, I am personally meeting with all staff members and continue to work on training on the proper inspections of our rooms; thus ensure all rooms are properly set up for our guests. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I hope that you will contact me directly, at eleal@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This “hotel” is a joke. My only consolation in staying there is that rather than paying the $129.00 (listed on the door of the room) a night I paid only a fraction of that cost by booking through Hotwire. This place is a scam. Here is how it works it this: They call it, “Extended Stay” and provide you with a kitchen and a refrigerator. By doing this it allows them to not provide the basic amenities that one would expect from virtually any hotel at that price point. If the kitchen was properly equipped, which of course it was not, having the opportunity to cook for yourself would be nice. Instead they use the “kitchen” as an excuse to not provide a continental breakfast, but rather what they call a “grab and go” breakfast which consists of bruised fruit, granola bars and some pre-packaged muffins. Additionally they do not have an ice maker, the philosophy being that you can make it yourself in your freezer. They provided me with one ice tray but I had nothing to store the ice in once I emptied the tray. Here’s a few other reasons not to waste your money at this rip off establishment:
1. No hangers, or closet, just a cheap metal rack. I guess you’re supposed to travel with your own hangers, since it’s an “Extended Stay”???
2. No Shampoo. The girl at the front desk had to bring some from he own house for me the next morning. Ironically, I had actually called the hotel to ask them if they provided shampoo and I was told emphatically that they do! They told me they were out.
3. My sink and shower was dirty and had hair in it when I arrived. But no big deal, I could just ask them to clean my room right? Wrong! THEY ONLY PROVIDE ROOM SERVICE ONCE EVERY FIVE DAYS!
3. My Kitchen utensil consisted of one pot, one knife, fork and spoon and the silverware tray in the drawer was filthy, covered in dirt and old food. There was a coffee mug, bowl and plate. I even found leftover food in one of the cabinets.
4. My room was on the ground floor and the windows which one could easily open and walk right into the room, WOULD NOT LOCK.
5. I had to have my door keys re-programmed two separate times during my horrific four nights there.
6. Hope you don’t want to have much variety as far as channel selection…..Maybe 15 channels???
7. Lastly, I asked for a wake up call, at 2:45 AM….Think I got one??? Nope, don’t think so. Luckily I set my alarm on my phone, since to be honest I didn't think they’d follow through. The staff at the front desk had even used a highlighter on my name and wake up time on the call sheet and the phone still never rang.
I’m sure that the excuse that they will give a guest for all these complaints is that, all I had to do was ask…..Well, I shouldn't have to.
I will say the girls at the front desk were all very nice. But other that, I believe that this company has figured out a way to cut millions of dollars from their operating budgets by providing an ill equipped dirty kitchen in the room and using it to justify providing nothing other than a bed to their guests. Don’t be fooled….Pay the extra $10.00 and stay somewhere else.
Robert Younghanz

Room Tip: If you want a good room...don't stay here!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Robert Y
Eleal, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy, responded to this review, March 23, 2013

The experience you described is truly regrettable. We strive to ensure that our guests have an exceptional stay. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of our staff thus ensure situations as what you encountered do not happen again Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better.

Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at eleal@extendedstay.com and we can discuss this further.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandy
BEST WESTERN PLUS CottonTree Inn
3.5 of 5 stars 131 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sandy
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
No photo provided

Been to Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy? Share your experiences!