“By far the best value for extended stays in SLC”

Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Sandy
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Extended Stay America in Sandy, UT is the best place to stay in the Salt Lake area if you are on any kind of extended trip. I have been here for 9 months and this has truly become a "home away from home" for me. The rooms are clean the staff is super friendly and if you need anything swapped out or restocked the staff here will get it for you right away. No waiting and no excuses. One of the better hotels I've stayed at when you consider the price. Nothing fancy, but not broken down or in disrepair either. Don't even bother with the other extended stay hotels in the area cuz I've seen them all. Of course, unless you like to pay for toilet paper from a vending machine or wanna step on someone else's needles or smell pot in the hallway. I would recommend this place to any friend or relative. So think of that when you read some of these other reviews.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed March 26, 2011

I stayed here because the other nearby hotels were sold out and I needed the location. The elevator and hallways are filthy and smell bad. The staff are unfriendly. The kitchen faucet was drippy and squirted water everywhere when used. Unmistakeable repair was needed, which must have been known and ignored. The room was okay, but first appearances set the tone. Replacing the hallway carpet and cleaning the elevator would help. Add some air fresheners to the hallways. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank thumperjonez
Reviewed March 14, 2009

This hotel is cheaper than the others in the immediate area for a reason - once a week service, paper thin walls, lousy beds. But, I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. I was hard pressed to find anything more economical that I could tolerate for a long term stay. Most of the problems are caused by inconsiderate guests who bang cabinets late at night, stomp down the halls in muddy boots, and people who open their door into the hall while cooking stinky stuff. If you are OK with Days Inn, Super 8, and Motel 6, this will be a step up. If price is less important you may prefer a remodeled La Quinta, or Holiday Inn Express for a bit more money.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank 4q2a
Reviewed May 24, 2008

The rates on this hotel and the fact that the others around it were sold out caused us to stay here. I'm not sure we would do that again. While the rooms were a reasonable size, the amenities were pretty lacking - no soap, no shampoo, had to buy extra pillows and blankets, etc. Elevator reeked of cigarette smoke. No cleaning service except for an extra fee.

None of that would have phased me had the staff been marginally pleasant and/or the internet functioning. The hotel advertised wireless. Yes - we could get a signal BUT the internet was slower than dial-up! I was not able to download any emails with picture attachments, and it was so painful that it was virtually unusable.

When I called the front desk to ask if she could contact their internet provider, she (Joanna) refused, told me that was not her responsibility, and was extremely rude about it despite my explaining that it was un-useable. With that kind of attitude, there is no way I would come back to this hotel.

I have to agree with the last reviewer - drive somewhere else where they actually care about your business.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank jjonak
Reviewed February 29, 2008

I ended up here because all the other hotels near the client were booked. If this happens to you, drive a little longer and stay somewhere else.

If you are looking at this property for price, remember you get less than you pay for.

Beyond location and price, there isn't a single aspect of this property I can compliment or recommend.

It is not clean: the carpets are matted and stained through out the hotel, including in the room.

There is a strong unpleasant smell in the halls. Someone was nice enough to leave the ground floor hall window open to try to reduce it, incidentally, it was Feb. This smell seeps into the room also. Sadly, I was there for 4 days, so this wasn't some one time thing.

They use re-usable keys rather than modern programmable keys, so if you have security concerns that doesn't help.

Poor Maint & Amenities:
Sloooooow internet. Poor Maint (Non-functional kitchen sink, bathroom lights missing covers, etc ) Uninviting worn out looking bed and bedding. The office closes at 11 or 11:30. If you have a late flight, you get a "night attendant". They seem minimally functional with the procedures and systems required to complete check in.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank x_bob_x
Reviewed January 29, 2008

I was booked into this hotel by my company due to there not being other rooms available at other hotels.

This hotel may be fine for those people looking to stay for weeks at a time, but for most business or pleasure travelers needs, I'd look elsewhere.

Although my room was clean, it didn't seem very inviting. The beds were probably the worst I've ever slept on. If you like a firm bed, then these are the ones for you. I think the floor might have been better. The sheets were thin and made me itch. In a cold place like Utah, having a nice warm bed would have been nice.

The entire week I was at this hotel, there was always a terrible smell in the elevator and the hallways. It smelled like an ashtray or bad food all week. It never changed.

The elevator had exposed wires and dirty floors. Not the place if you have kids.

The final straw was when their boiler broke on the last day. No hot water! And, they didn't bother to tell anyone so everyone had to find out by taking cold showers.

I can't honestly recommend this hotel to anyone and feel safe about doing so. I will say that I never felt unsafe here, but that's definitely not enough to get me to go back here.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank KKAustin
Reviewed July 2, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the ESA in Sandy during the International Convention of Rotary International for six nights in mid-June, 2007. Airfare alone from our town in Oregon to Salt Lake was $489 per person, but I found the exact same air, all air taxes, six nights lodging and all hotel taxes for $411 per person on Priceline. We rented a car at SLC airport and when we needed to go to the city, we drove a half mile to the TRAX station and rode in from there on light rail. It takes about 35 minutes each way. It was very clean and efficient and although we did drive it a couple of times, TRAX was the better option. Our room featured what was described as a *full kitchen* but it was sorely lacking. We had two small saucepans, flatware service for two, a dull, medium-sized knife and a cutting board. There were no fry pans, large Dutch ovens or even a colander in the room. I couldn't have cooked a meal of spaghetti if I'd tried. Also, there are no hair dryers in the rooms, although the front desk did loan us one for our stay. As previous posters have noted, there are a number of restaurants in the immediate area, all within walking distance, both sit-downs and fast foods. There is no daily maid service, but you can obtain fresh towels by trading out with either the room maid as you catch them in the hallway or with the front desk. This wasn't the Ritz, and we didn't expect it to be, but it was very sparce. Also, the room reeked of smoke....*sigh* But all in all we got what we paid for and more. (Like a free room.)

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank pilotgirl210
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandy
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City / Sandy
Best Western Plus Cottontree Inn
Hampton Inn Salt Lake City/Sandy
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sandy
Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Union Park

Been to Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy? Share your experiences!