“Excellant”

Cuisines: Diner
Stockton, Kansas
“Excellant”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Down home cooking at a reasonable price. Dinner was great. Had chicken fried steak/mashed potatoes and gravy with green beans and salad.Waitress was very pleasant.

Visited April 2014

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“unexpected delight for brunch”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stopped by here at 11am on our way through to Moab, and saw this local spot as well as some typical chain places. We opted to try this one without knowing what to expect. We were quite pleased. I had the pancake breakfast with sausage patties (late breakfast), and my companion had a cheeseburger (early lunch). The pancakes were wide as the plate, almost an inch thick, and very fluffy--not chewy or stiff at all. It was great with butter and syrup. The sausage looked uneven sized (meaning hand-shaped rather than machine pressed) and had just the right level of spice. The burger was also very nicely done, cooked through but still tender and not at all greasy. From reading other reviews, after the fact, it seems like some guests don't like their dinner options, but our experience with breakfast was a good one.

• Visited April 2014
Provo, Utah, United States
“Used to be THE place to eat”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Mom's in Salina was once spoken of with glowing adjectives and promises to return. Not anymore. And it's sad. It used to have such a great reputation.

We shared a "broasted chicken" dinner and wondered where the meat was. It was pretty much all crunchy skin with a few morsels of chicken. It came with a baked potato and some steamed vegetables, we think. There weren't many on the plate. The salad bar was alright, nothing super great. The scone (which used to be a fluffy, delicious item) was sunken and a little doughy. There used to be homemade honey butter for the scones. Now there is a bottle of some honey flavored goo to squeeze onto it.

My husband knows they've had great pie in the past and asked for the last piece of coconut cream. The serving size was plenty big but it was a little too thick and pasty. The "cream" was actually the real whipped kind from cream but it wasn't whipped enough so it didn't peak like it should.

The waitress was nice but preoccupied even though the diner was nearly empty. Our water glasses sat empty for a lot of our meal. And a waitress should never ask "How are we?" upon greeting customers. I heard her ask that of others who came in. Overall, I don't think we'll return. We're not in that area much but we'll either keep going or see what else is in town.

I truly hope the new owner finds some help who a) know how to cook something-worth-talking-about homemade food and b) are pleasant and attentive with customers.

It would be nice to have Mom's reputation restored to what it was in years past. If it does, we'll return.

• Visited March 2014
Salina, Utah
“moms cafe”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

we live here and only ate there 1 time in 14 years,we will never eat there again,food was greasy,service was at best average

• Visited April 2013
Salt Lake City
“Never again!”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I've heard about the homemade pies at Mom's so we had to try while passing through. I ordered the veal meal. It came with homemade chicken soup which was nice but too salty! The veal was extremely unappetizing! it was watery in the middle and the white gravy reminded me of the homemade glue we used in kindergarten! The pies were nothing to write home about! Hubby had the cherry pie a la mode and I had the German choc pie. All I could taste was the cheap chocolate chips thrown in - that's about as much chocolate I got! Don't waste your money stopping - just drive through to the nearest fast food joint!!

• Visited December 2013