“Green Valley Spa Works Magic!”
Review of Amira Resort & Spa

Amira Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 42 Hotels in St. George
Reviewed September 21, 2010

I recently visited Green Valley Spa with two goals in mind: I wanted to lose weight and find a less stressful way to live and work. They helped me with both and then some!! I was on the HCG weight-loss program. My stay was two weeks. While there I lost 14.5 pounds. I continued the program upon returning home and have met my weight-loss goal of 27 pounds. I feel great and have a new outlook that I truly believe will be with me the rest of my life. The weight loss is made easy by their marvelous Executive Chef Frances and staff as well as the well-rounded program of exercise and classes. The food was the best ever and I was never hungry even exercising and consuming just 500 calories a day. Visitors at the table would remark again and again about not being hungry -- it was true! Chef Frances makes each meal a visual and tasteful experience; her cooking classes help you "carry it home" and she is beyond generous in following up and interacting with you while there and as you make the transition to home. Their exercise staff is remarkable and the variety of choices has something for everyone -- hikes in the red rock areas around the spa, aquacize, stretch, Tai Chi, Zumba, cardio boxing, pilates, yoga, abs, spinning and more. Aquacize is taught in one of the several pools and was one of my favorites. I have found that swimming and exercise in a pool is something I am doing on a regular basis now. Meditation, Labyrinth and medicine cards are not to be missed with Mike -- his positive spirit is contagious and the lessons absorbed build confidence and emotional capacity in ways that are magical. The massage therapy and other treatments were excellent and the staff very pleasant. The mood and settings of the treatment rooms was a special part of the whole experience. There is much more to write, but the bottom line is that I would recommend Green Valley as a special place to go if you want to lose weight, de-stress, hike, exercise, play tennis or golf, or just relax for a few days or weeks. While I do not expect to need to lose weight again, I will return to Green Valley for renewal and to meet great people from across the country and of course to enjoy their great staff and facilities.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank moonskipper42

Reviewed September 15, 2010

I have been here for 3 straight years and plan on coming back for many more. My girlfriends and I LOVE this place, (and yes, we have been to several other, including some of the better known spas.) I love this place because of it;s "boutique" atmosphere. I am welcomed back like an old friend each year.
The food has inspired me to become a better cook and to eat healthier when I return home. I love the classes, the hiking, and of course, the spa services. I always leave knowing what "healthy" feels like and how "healthy" acts.
Because you hike, eat, and interact with guest each day, I do have to say they can have an impact on how enjoyable your stay is. It amazes me what some people can complain about. Just try to find a different seat the next meal and take the strenuous hikes instead of the trail hikes. You'll be too busy catching your breath and admiring the view than complaining about how hungry you are and how your feet, ankles, knees etc. hurt and how your last meal was 10 minutes late with a broken yolk....Really!!??

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank klare55
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Recently spent time there with my girlfriend. We had booked for Sun-Fri stay. We did research online. We booked a junior suite with meals. We are both active and want to achieve weight loss goals thru diet and exercise. We arrived on Sunday afternoon and were greeted warmly, we were given tour of facility and shown our suite. The room was beautiful. This is where warm greeting ends. Based on what we read on line we where looking forward to workouts and hikes with other guests that wanted to be healthy too!! Most of the time we were ignored. We did sit at larger table for dinner the first night to meet other guests and socialize by day 2 we sat at 2 person table. I understand that the resort can't control other guests behavior and I don't expect them to. However, they resort can control the interaction between staff and guests! The servers did their jobs! But not once did the Chef interact the same way with us as they did with guests on HCG. At most we got a casual how is everything as she walke by after delivering another guests food personally. We did inquire about nutritional content of food because we both felt that it was a lot of food for what menu claimed calorie intake was. I did not see her measure food prior to cooking or putting on plate. She told me that she could show me her recipes. I told her that was not necessary because all I wanted was to know how to cook like that at home and get that much food. I have been counting calories for a long time. The classes were not crowded which was good I guess. I was told by Manager that I should be happy I got a personal trainer for free. Many know that people are generally motivated by others in class. We decided that enough was enough, we did not need to feel like we were in high school and not members of the click. We decided to leave a day early. We told night desk clerk of our plan to leave on Thursday morning on Wednesday morning. She told me that the manager was not in yet but she would give her the message and that she would leave message in our suite on refund for last night. After returning from our hike there was no message. We weren't sure if we would be able to get dinner because no one had asked us our selection at breakfast and we were hiking thru lunch. We were given surf and turf for dinner which we assumed was dinner selection. After dinner we went to front desk to make sure they knew we would be checking out early and girl at that time had no idea and told us there was no notes but she would leave for morning. We arrived at 7am to check out and the same woman was there that we told before. When asked about why we did not receive call from manager on previous day she did not know but assured me that when she came in she would call us. She did call me while we were traveling to vegas and I later returned her call to voice my concerns. She pretty much told me that I should have had awesome time and that all the other guests love it. As far as refund goes she gave us one night credit for future visit even tho I told her we would not go back or recommend it. For over $400 per night I expected better service and not have to argue with manager when I voice my complaints. The hiking guides and day hikes were the best part and the only reason we did not leave earlier! (Note: They are not regular staff but work elsewhere too and are contracted with Green Valley). I have also voiced my concern with American Express and they are investigating. I would definately go back to St George but would stay at Red Canyon spa. We had other friends that stayed there the same time and we did not even know it and they raved about there trip!!!! However, if you want to eat 500calories a day with minimal exercise and HCG treatments Green Valley is for you!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
6  Thank bonniehhi
greenvalleysparesort, Public Relations Manager at Amira Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2010

We apologize that this guest had a less than optimal experience. We have are taking appropriate steps to correct these issues. We'd like to take this opportunity to correct a few misconceptions about our programs.

We try to not prioritize hCG guests over standard guests, but guests should keep in mind that our hCG guests are part of a supervised program, and as such, will get more personal attention to keep them on track with the program. In addition, hCG guests are longer-term guests, in fact many of our hCG guests have stayed for multiple weeks, and have developed a personal relationship with our employees.

Dinner is always available to guests, even if they are late for our scheduled times. Our chef lives on property and, if informed, is happy to make any meal required at any reasonable time.

Our hiking guides for our daily hikes included in our packages are regular staff, not contracted. We do offer a full day adventure program through Paragon Adventures, but that is an additional option not included in our packages.

Again, we apologize about this guests experience.

Reviewed July 13, 2010

At first this place seemed very nice. The first problem we noticed that the pool, which is open 24 hours, is very poorly lit at night, and there were used towels scattered around. But that wasn't the worst of it.

On the way back to our room we started noticing the cockroaches, and finally found one in our bathroom (along with some ants). The person at the front desk could offer nothing more than to come dispose of it himself, but I had already done that. It was hard to sleep not knowing how many other bugs might be in the room.

We slept poorly for other reasons too. The beds looked very soft and plush, but in both of them we felt like our heads were angled below our feet and we had to prop ourselves up with pillows. The room was poorly insulated, and the temperature swung wildly as the AC came on and off, plus the crickets were very loud. At about 5 am we gave up trying to sleep and checked out early.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dathorc
greenvalleysparesort, Public Relations Manager at Amira Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2010

We regret that this guest had a less-than-ideal experience. We'd like to address some of the issues that were brought up by this guest.

Our pool lighting is low-level lighting, due to the fact that most of our rooms are pool-adjacent, and therefore obtrusive lighting may introduce an annoyance to guests in their rooms. The lighting in our pool areas exceed standards for safety.

Our facility is in a high-desert area, which means that there are high temperatures, and pests. We spray for pests every two weeks, and our maintenance staff keep our air conditioners in excellent repair. Some guests are coming in from more temperate climates, where they, for instance, leave doors or windows open to let the cooler air in. Doing so here during July and August will not have the desired effect, it will just let pests in, and cause the air conditioner to not provide as efficient cooling as desired.

Our rooms are renowned for their plush beds, but there are some guests who prefer a firmer mattress. Had these guests informed us that they preferred firmer bedding, we would have appointed their room with such. Unfortunately, we only heard about their issue with the beds after their stay.

Reviewed July 12, 2010

Just got back from a week's stay at Green Valley Spa. Second time there and what they say is true - you can never go back! While the accommodations are wonderful (last time I was there, the Coyote Inn had not been built - one would stay in the condos), housekeeping left something to be desired. No toiletries were replaced, floor dirt still there upon return to our room, no consistent turn down service in the evening. Housekeeping would take the rugs from the bathroom in the morning and not replace them (until we called). Used to be when you arrived at the resort, you were taken into the relaxation room and given a short hand and foot massage - not now. For my first treatment, I asked for a bar of soap during my shower and was told I would have to pay for it! I spoke with the receptionist who assured me the next day I would have soap- and I did. The third day, I had to ask, and from there on out I was told I would have to pay for it! Excuse me - I didn't need the $10 bar they took from the spa shop....the one's in our room were fine. I did eventually take the one's from my room. Their answer to not offering soap is that they have a "spread" they put on a washcloth - but it's not good for the face. Offered a "spread" without the abrasive scrub for my face - I prefer soap......am I asking too much? I had a double treatment with Jake whose headrest was broken. After twice trying to fix it and still not being right he said - "what do you want me to do about it? we're almost done here...." This was towards the end of the first treatment and after that comment I said we were done. I left the room and ended up complaining to Carol, one of the owners, who did offer a redo on my treatments and also said she would be taking Jake off the schedule for awhile - NOT! He was there 2 days later (supposedly off the following day). Green Valley has a color for each day. Before,when it was red, rose petals were everywhere, orange - orange slices were in the bath, etc. Now all they do is throw some colored crystals in the water. On a positive note, Francis and her staff in the dining hall were wonderful. Food was great and the service was always with a smile. One would think that a destination spa in this day and age would want to create a niche to ensure their clients are happy and put themselves above the other top destination spas. Green Valley has fallen down in its competitiveness with Miraval, Green Door, et al. It's a shame. One does not feel pampered at all.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank BarbaraSS
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Although it is a year and a half since I had booked a trip with Green Valley Spa, I have always felt I needed to comment on how I was treated in September of 2008.

I had just landed in Las Vegas ready to go to the spa when I received a phone call that my father had been diagnosed with stage VI pancreatic cancer and had only weeks to live. I had to get to Florida as soon as I possibly could. I called Green Valley from the airport asking if I could reschedule the trip to another week as I had an emergency. My girlfriend was willing to reschedule too.

I was told NO, not even a credit of any kind if I did not show up. I just couldnt believe it. I know there are always cancellation policies but NOTHING???? Nope, absolutely nothing. I went for one night as I could not get a flight out of vegas that night and I did want my girlfriend to miss out on her fun, but it was the most miserable time of my life.

No one in managment could have cared less, all they wanted was my money.

Before I went to the airport I took a tour of Red Mountain Spa also in St. George. I knew when I returned someday I would stay there. For my review of my recent stay please see in my comments.

I lost my dad in 9 weeks to the deadly cancer and will never forget how this "healing" spa treated me. I love St. George, but will never recommend this spa.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
12  Thank docjennings
Reviewed May 20, 2010

Green Valley Spa was an exceptional experience in every way. Everything was outstanding including the healthy, nutritious meals prepared by Chef Francesca and her able assistants, the spa treatments (my husbands lagging 2 year old should injury was fixed), the beautiful hikes and fabulous guides, the exercise programs for all levels, the evening programs, and the entire staff. I didn't meet a person that I didn't really like including the guests! Plus, I lost 11 pounds in 14 days on the Hcg program and rarely felt hungry. This place is the real deal and I highly recommend it. We will return next year with our entire family. Patsy & Sam

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple