“No, No, No.”

Green Valley Spa and Resort
Ranked #24 of 43 Hotels in St. George
Reviewed June 13, 2006

Terrible Management...some good employees though.

Too bad...this place has potential but does need updating badly.

The management (ownership) is something to be desired. Don't step on the "family's toes" Look at one of them wrong and somone's going to hear it.

I experienced one of the owners putting an employee in "their place" simply because they didn't know they were talking to an owner's relative. Witnessing the entire event was not pleasant. Not a good way to treat employees. It made me very upset that they treat their employees that badly.

There's also a sense of elitism there that even if you're an achiever, if you're not part of their inner circle then you're not going to receive the special treatment or even service that you're paying for.

So poorly managed that you shouldn't be surprised when your appointment is made for either tennis or a massage that they completely "forget" or missed somehow to write you down in the appointment book. This happened to me for a massage. To add insult to injury they made no effort to fix the problem.

The pool area is dangerous...managment again doesn't seem to care enough.

Also be aware there may be some transient types sleeping in the pool area or on the property somewhere. When I was there I saw a younger girl with a sleeping bag and a pillow outside. I asked management why and they had explained that sometimes people will sleep on the grounds. Where's the security department?

If you can't tell for yourself....they're charging way too much for absolutely #$%$^ service.

Save your money, try someplace else.

7  Thank goodbadugly
GreenValleySpa, Customer Service at Green Valley Spa and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2006

With all due respect to our guests negative experience here we must address the comment that we had transients sleeping on our grounds. The incident she was referring to was a guest who our security found "sleeping under the stars" to quote the guest. She was fully dressed and had a blanket from her room.

Our grounds are very cozy and have large open patios and the weather in late spring early summer is really quite pleasant at night. We did not see the need to tell the guest to return to her room and the security person left her alone. The guest was happy so we were fine with it.

We are very sorry for the guests experience regardless of weather her perception of this particular incident was correct or not and we always strive to make things right if we have provided poor service. Word of mouth has been and is the primary source of interest in the Green Valley Spa.

There are newer reviews for Green Valley Spa and Resort

Reviewed March 25, 2006

Just back from three nights at the Green Valley Spa.

Our interest was in the Vic Braden Tennis Camp...you do not have to stay at the spa to participate in the camp but we decided to give the Spa a try as well. They offer a "tennis luxury" package that includes the meals, tennis, and two treatments over the three days.

The rooms are quite large and the beds very comfortable. It was suprisingly cold two of the days we were there so the gas fireplace was used and appreciated. Housekeeping seemed to do a good job. Made use of the coffe grinder and maker and the plentiful tea in the room as well.

We didn't know what to expect for the meals...and maybe because of this were pleasantly suprised. While choices were limited we found the food to be most edible, some quite delicious...and were never hungry.

Reading reviews here about regimented times am thinking there must ahve been some changes made over the past year...tennis didn't start until 8:30 each day so we did not need to be up and eating as early as the hikers. This was no problem as the dining room was still open. Service was good and servers very pleasant during our stay. Lunch likewise...we showed up after 12 each day to no problem. Dinner had two choices 6 or 7:15....which seemed loose in any case....we showed up early one day at 7 and it was no problem for them to seat and serve us. We made a last minute decision to order room service our last night...calling at 7...they seemed happy to accomodate us and delivered our dinner within 20 minutes.

The communal seating grew old after a few meals...probably because we weren't there for the "full spa experience."

We had three spa treatments each while we were there..one each day. (paying for one additional each as only two were included in the package). My pedicure was the first and only fair....I would pass on that and choose something else. I was intrigued by the LomiLomi so tried that...it was very nice. The last treatment I had was the Hot Stone massage..I had had these at other places and not been overly impressed...but after hearing other guests talk about it decided to try it....WOW. This was great. Spa facilities seemed clean and at least the people that worked on me were pleasant and polite.

We did not do any of the hikes as they are all in the morning. This is a beautiful part of the country...and had hikes been offered in the afternoon when we weren't on the tennis courts we might have done one...this time of the year the afternoon allows for hiking later in the day...but the spa program seems very regimented so perhaps this is why it isn't offered...

The tennis camp was interesting. We had never been to one and again didn't know what to expect. Lots of information and maybe too much trying to change EVERYTHING. So not lots of just hitting time. Our pro at home encouraged us to do just do the morning session and to try and have them arrange some match play in the afternoon. They are not open to this - would prefer to sell the afternoon session or more private lessons...and the poor weather made it impossible for us to play on our own on the outdoor courts. The information and theory was good, as was the teaching...it's just a lot to absorb in a few hours and it's impossible to try and change everything at one time. Will definitely take some of the theories home to work on however.

Overall we really enjoyed ourselves. While the facilities could use some paint and updating on the whole, it was very nice. The tennis package was $300/pp a night...and with the rooms, meals, tennis and treaments...while not inexpensive this didn't seem a bad value when taken as a whole. I do not think I would go and do a full week there as just a spa experience but would visit again for the tennis and enjoy the rest of the facilities. We are nearby in arizona and this is a less expensive and easier trip than the tennis camps on the east coast.

4  Thank ziggylu
Chesterfield, MO
Reviewed March 18, 2006

We just returned after a five day stay at Green Valley. I feel relaxed, and rejuvenated. This is not a plushy Ritz Carlton kind of destination spa, but it is intimate with excellent food, and even better hiking. Our room was wonderful with cushy feather beds and a gas fireplace. The exterior buildings could use a touch up. The personal attention we received was amazing, the staff was warm and friendly, the chef (Jules) was warm and wonderful and very accomodating. If you are a lover of the outdoors, hiking, tennis, etc...go...you will not be disappointed. We booked a package that included a spa treatment each day, I highly recommend the steaming stones massage and lomi lomi massage with Kauai.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 16, 2006

After our wedding at Tuachan (beautiful outdoor theatre in Snow Canyon Utah) we locked ourselves up at the Green Valley Spa for a couple of days. We loved the rooms, beds and bathrooms great, cute little patios. We got 2 spa services daily, while the whole trip is expensive- we felt absolutely pampered rejuvinated and relaxed. They have a great variety of spa treatments including watsu which is hard to find, try it... They also help you coordinate outings in the area to appreciate the local outdoors. If you are looking for privacy, relaxation, beauty and are willing to pay you should definitely go to Green Valley Spa.

• Stayed: September 2005
napa, ca
Reviewed February 15, 2006

I just spent 3 days at the green valley spa and I will not be going back. I booked the ultimate tennis package which included three day vic braden tennis camp, 2 massages, jr suite, all meals , spa outfit while at spa. the tennis program was very good and did help my game but the spa service was a real letdown. i would advise people to save their money and attend the tennis camp and stay at another hotel in st george. at $500 a day (average) i did not get a wake up call i ordered, did get a miscall from the front desk when i was asleep another night, was charged for the two spa treatments that were included in my package, did not ever see the spa outfit ...could not depend on anything the frontdesk people said.I heard similar complaits from other guests while at meals. for the price these things should not happen. i did let the manager know about all these problems and i was given a limp apology. i would say the staff reflects the management. i think i will take my next spa adventure somewhere else.

Stayed: February 2006
17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed October 7, 2005

I am sitting in the lobby waiting to download my boarding pass. But I have just spent the best week I have had on a vacation in a long time.

This place is just gorgeous.

The grounds are lovely and the pools are quiet and well kept up. I was sitting on one of the lounges one night, and a housekeeper came by and asked if she could get a cover for me(they had already cleaned up for the day)

You have to know that this is a Resort Spa and is built for that. The food is gourmet quality, but it is spa food and geared fro 1500 calories. It is great and filling, but you are going to get hungry if you are not used to that. They have a vegataian option and a South Beach option. My wife has tons of food allergies and they bent over backwards to accomodate her.

This is not a place to go with young kids. There is just nothing to do for them. You need to know that up front and not come here with them. It is a place for meditation and rejuvenating.

We did both of those and had a wonderful time. Dinner is at a free seating area and you meet the nicest people from all over.

So come to St George and Green Valley and enjoy.

We loved the labyrinth and the meditation.

• Stayed: October 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 31, 2005

Just returned from a week at the Green Valley Spa. First of all, people need to realize it is not a resort but a destination spa. I thought the rooms were lovely, the grounds and pools beautiful. All the classes were fun and I specially enjoyed the early morning hikes with informative guides. The food is pretty good, a little uneven. If you get a take out lunch - pretty boring. The spa services were mostly good. Some of the male masseuses were very weak and young. I heard a lot of grumbling from guests that only one of the males is good, a Hawaiian named Kaui. That was a disappointment as they treatments are costly. I was a little put off by the space for gratuity for the girls who take you to the rooms. Why? All in all, from talking to other guests, Green Valley rates up there with other top adult spas.
S