“i won't be going back” 2 of 5 bubbles

Green Valley Spa and Resort
Ranked #21 of 41 Hotels in St. George
“i won't be going back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2006

I just spent 3 days at the green valley spa and I will not be going back. I booked the ultimate tennis package which included three day vic braden tennis camp, 2 massages, jr suite, all meals , spa outfit while at spa. the tennis program was very good and did help my game but the spa service was a real letdown. i would advise people to save their money and attend the tennis camp and stay at another hotel in st george. at $500 a day (average) i did not get a wake up call i ordered, did get a miscall from the front desk when i was asleep another night, was charged for the two spa treatments that were included in my package, did not ever see the spa outfit ...could not depend on anything the frontdesk people said.I heard similar complaits from other guests while at meals. for the price these things should not happen. i did let the manager know about all these problems and i was given a limp apology. i would say the staff reflects the management. i think i will take my next spa adventure somewhere else.

Stayed February 2006
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2005

I am sitting in the lobby waiting to download my boarding pass. But I have just spent the best week I have had on a vacation in a long time.

This place is just gorgeous.

The grounds are lovely and the pools are quiet and well kept up. I was sitting on one of the lounges one night, and a housekeeper came by and asked if she could get a cover for me(they had already cleaned up for the day)

You have to know that this is a Resort Spa and is built for that. The food is gourmet quality, but it is spa food and geared fro 1500 calories. It is great and filling, but you are going to get hungry if you are not used to that. They have a vegataian option and a South Beach option. My wife has tons of food allergies and they bent over backwards to accomodate her.

This is not a place to go with young kids. There is just nothing to do for them. You need to know that up front and not come here with them. It is a place for meditation and rejuvenating.

We did both of those and had a wonderful time. Dinner is at a free seating area and you meet the nicest people from all over.

So come to St George and Green Valley and enjoy.

We loved the labyrinth and the meditation.

• Stayed October 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2005

Just returned from a week at the Green Valley Spa. First of all, people need to realize it is not a resort but a destination spa. I thought the rooms were lovely, the grounds and pools beautiful. All the classes were fun and I specially enjoyed the early morning hikes with informative guides. The food is pretty good, a little uneven. If you get a take out lunch - pretty boring. The spa services were mostly good. Some of the male masseuses were very weak and young. I heard a lot of grumbling from guests that only one of the males is good, a Hawaiian named Kaui. That was a disappointment as they treatments are costly. I was a little put off by the space for gratuity for the girls who take you to the rooms. Why? All in all, from talking to other guests, Green Valley rates up there with other top adult spas.
S

• Stayed August 2005
1 Thank Suzanne A
los angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2005

My husband, six-year old son and I along w/ a friend and her son just returned from Green Valley. Our criteria for picking the place was pretty simple - we wanted a nice place with room service close to Zion Nat'l Park. Our travel agent told us about Green Valley and said it was just okay, but options were limited in that neck of the woods, so we reserved a room at the spa with some trepidation. The place can best be described as the new age meets (or collides with) the Mormon Church.
Upon arrival, check-in consisted of going over all of the many restrictive policies w/ the snarky front desk clerk and initialing that I understood all of them for their dossier (I'm sure they keep them on all their guests) and then paying for everything up front - not very welcoming to say the least. The rooms were fine though not exceptional given the price paid for them. The beds were very comfy and the bathrooms nice.

Our biggest complaints though were over food and pool policies. We weren't informed about the meal situation at the hotel before we arrived i.e. extremely limited choices and meal times. ( I did think it odd however that someone from the hotel called 10 days before our arrival and asked what we wanted for dinner the night we got in.) As previous reviewers have noted, meal prices are stiff for what you get (and I'm not talking calories here.) Breakfast was dismal -usually lukewarm oatmeal and a so-so egg dish - there was only one choice for lunch and dinner was okay. Had I known this up front, I definately would not have chosen the meal plan. In addition dinner is served between 6 and 7 - woe to those who don't want to eat that early. We had just come from Telluride where it is hard to have a bad meal anywhere, and the prices are relatively reasonable, so the food at the spa seemed an enormous rip-off.

On to the pool situation - there were two lovely smallish pools - both happened to be in front of our rooms. Unfortunately they were adults only pools. (My husband and I had a child later in life, so we both can appreciate enjoying an environment w/ no kids around, particularly at a health spa.) The family pools were on the far side of the spa and the setting there can best be described as grim. There was no landscaping to speak of, just lots of lounge chairs (empty) and the blazing Utah sun beating down on you as there was not a drop of shade to be found anywhere. Additionally, the pools were surrounded by these large apartment buildings that made you feel like the people in them were spying on you. Creepy! There was also an unused, dilapidated outdoor bar sitting in the midst of the whole ghastly area which added to the overall drab feeling of the place. Lastly, there was a boom box propped on a chair in the corner of the patio blasting bad country western music. Completely uninviting area. If the spa allows families to stay there (happy to take our money) and charges the same as all other spa-goers, the family facilities should be on par with the adults only facilities. Fair is fair!

Finally - a note on the spa - we didn't use any of the facilities - we were too turned off to want to give the hotel more money. But as the treatment rooms were on the way to the dining room (decorated in grandma chic - way too depressing a place to actually eat in), I have to agree w/ previous reviewers. The rooms look dated and smelled musty. The floor molding was missing along the carpet in the hallways - which didn't look particularly clean.

I'm mortified that Travel & Leisure Magazine chose Green Valley as a top ranking spa for 2005. ( My husband is convinced it's a misprint and should be a top spa in St. George, Utah, not the entire country.) I'd love to know what the magazine's criteria is (a letter to them is next.)

If your idea of a good time is spending a lot of money living out an Orwellian fantasy in the middle of nowhere- go for it. As for us, we'll save a whole lot of money and stay at one of the cute little motels outside the entrance of Zion. (Zion, by the way, should not be missed!)

• Stayed August 2005
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
19 Thank mrpullings
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2005

Needs refurbishing inside and out. Comfortable, large, clean rooms. Some of the Spa attendants surly and argumentative but scheduling desk did make every effort to accomodate to arrange late services. Not some place I would want to return.

• Stayed June 2005