“The Good, The Bad, The wha?” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Green Valley Spa and Resort

Green Valley Spa and Resort
Ranked #22 of 41 Hotels in St. George
Tacoma, Washington
“The Good, The Bad, The wha?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Oh boy. A little background: Three of us went to the Green Valley Spa and resort looking for a few days of relaxation, sun, some opportunities for fitness, spa treatments and great food - to reference where we've been before, check out The Solstice Spa in Leavenworth, WA and the Golden Door Spa at The Boulders in Scottsdale, AZ. We could not have been more wrong and I wish we had read more of the poor reviews on Trip Advisor before booking this vacation. The website was very deceptive about certain things. For reference, we paid $2000 for three nights, four days, all-inclusive (except spa treatments), with a AAA discount.

So you don't think it was all bad, I'll list what was GOOD first:
We stayed in a Grand Suite and it was really lovely, a private patio with lounge chairs and a teak dining set, beautiful bedrooms with 4 large queen beds (so no one was sleeping on a pullout or sharing beds), the bathrooms were gorgeous, cute kichenette, Starbucks coffee, tea, popcorn, generous (HUGE really) samples of the spa skin and beauty products, TVs in the bedrooms and living room, gas fireplace (we didn't use), free wifi that carried out to the pool, luxurious linens. The only negative about the room was the odd and outdated furniture in the dining/living area - totally incongruous with the rest of the suite.

The Service Staff: Really very nice people, Andy picked us up and dropped us off at the airport in St. George. Our server in the "dining room" was Michael - very sweet, charming and we really felt that he went out of his way to make sure we were taken care of, including packing us a "to go" bag to take to the airport with us on the way out. The housekeeping was also very good.

Hiking: The single BEST part of the trip and the only thing that didn't cause us to pack our bags and leave (that and the exorbitant $ we had already paid). Mark and his guides were wonderful, they tailored the three hikes we went on to our skills/abilities, increasing the fun and climbing/scrambling each day. There were always a good ratio of guides to hikers and we had the entire morning to hike (we've heard that other area resorts restrict their hikes to two hours). We would hire Mark and his crew again if we ever come back to the St. George area.

Spa: My treatment was nice - a 50 minute hot stone massage. As good as any massage I've had (except at the Solstice Spa) More on the spa later.

Food: Oy. Ummm fresh veggies, good soups and salad dressings, wine list was OK but appreciated the fact that wine was available at all. They told us "ask for anything and we'll do it" but that was if it fell within the constraints of the "Program"...so...yeah. Breakfast definitely the best meal of the day due to content and having the choice to pick your meal.

General Premesis: Surrounded by tons and tons of wonderful roses - would have like some information on the different varieties - two of the swimming pools were 18 and over (so they were quiet!), shade was also available at both pools and the lounge chairs were really nice, always towels there, well maintained grounds.

The Bad: There's a lot (thus the 2 star score)

General Premesis: very random decor some of it very shabby (and not "shabby chic"), the dining room in particular was horrible and felt like an out-in-the-woods retreat center cafeteria NOT like a spa/resort restaurant. The overall decor was a mish-mash of south beach sun porch, mexican villa, navajo pueblo and...Italian? Pick a style and stick with it and for the money we paid, it had better look nice (again...reference The Boulders). Also, you walk out of the back of the lobby (by the spa) and stare straight into iron-barred "Splash Town USA" or some such really yucky looking pool/entertainment complex for kids and for people staying at the not-nice-looking white condo buildings right next door. No effort is made to camoflage this area from the rest of the "resort" - no wall, no plants, no nothing. The rec room in the basement is also very "1970's basement/ping-pong room". The only thing missing was shag carpeting. Just weird.

Food: Do not be fooled - this isn't "spa" food. It's "diet food". And there is a difference. My friends and I are very good cooks and also consider ourselves knowledgable about fitness and nutrition (one marathoner, one Preventive Medicine/Public Health physician). This diet was ridiculous. You had two choices for lunch and two for dinner. Chicken or Fish? Fish or Chicken? No sugar, no salt, no fats (so nothing was cooked with EVOO for example). Some of the dishes were downright awful. Two grains - rice or quinoa. They prided themselves on making each meal around 500 calories...except for someone who has just done a 4 hour vigorous hike, 500 calories is not nearly enough. Michael took pity on us and added extra frozen yogurt to the "dessert". The chef prided himself on putting a lot of food on the plate with few calories...the problem is that when you learn to listen to your body so you stop eating when you're full, and you're full after only ONE chicken breast, now you either clean your plate but feel stuffed and uncomfortable or you eat half and don't get enough calories.

We did not come on this vacation to lose weight, yet we had NO options besides a 1000-1200 calorie per day "diet". Oh...wait..we did have options - we ordered Pizza Hutt delivery after dinner the last two nights we were there. (when you pull up the store locator, its the one that ends in x1201). Although they had snacks out during the day, the eating times were very restrictive. And the quality and type of food was not commensurate with the price we paid for the all-inclusive.

NONE of this information was clearly delineated on the website, neither was the appearance and condition of the dining room - we all brought dresses to wear to a "nice" dinner one night...poor dresses! They just stayed in the suitcase!

Activities: much, much fewer classes were offered than the website indicates - and some that were offered apparently didn't happen. We're not into the meditative side of things so the only "activity" we did was hiking (SUPER AWESOME!) and one of us did an Aquacize class which was kind of fun.

Spa: Cost of treatments was on par with some of the nicest spas around (do I need to say it a third time...The Golden Door at the Bouldrs) but the aesthetics were more akin to My Grandmom's Conservatory in Southern Alabama. Just plain weird. And YES...the aesthetics MATTER when you're paying as much as we did. They asked ZERO health questions before initiating our treatments...have you EVER been to a spa that doesn't ask your basic medical history, if you're pregnant (one of us is), if you have any allergies?! Believe all you want in the spiritual homeopathic side of medicine - I don't knock it. But, it doesn't replace needing to know the actual medical history and needs of your clients. They demanded that you take a "germicidal" shower before your treatment and the implication was that you were to remove ALL your clothes for your treatment. I have no problem with that - I had been hiking all morning and it was nice to clean and exfoliate before my massage - but "germicidal"...could you find a more off-putting word?! Semantics matter! And some people aren't comfortable getting a massage completely naked...(you walked around in robes - no visual nudity)

The Wha? (sealing the two-star deal)
Let's talk about the Spinning Room for a minute - I was so excited to take a Spin class (which actually wasn't offered while we were there). We checked out the spin room the night we got there - the floor, walls and celing were painted black. The only light source we could find besides the BLACK LIGHTS in the ceiling was a FLOOR LAMP. Wha? So creepy.

For some reason, we missed the part on the website that informed us we were expected to eat at a communal dining table (in a dining room surrounded by empty tables that were set up for people to eat at). We ate at the table for our first lunch but then for dinner and the rest of our meals, we wanted to sit together - this was a trip we were looking forward to, to spend time with just ourselves. We were not interested in making new friends or forced small talk over meals. It was a BIG DEAL that we kept insisting on sitting at a table for three - despite attempts by the dining-room staff to not set up that table and get us to sit at the communal table - we held out. And it was clearly not appreciated by the social director. Sorry dude, if I want communal table eating and small talk, I'll go on a cruise.

Finally, the "Program".
Let me start this paragraph by telling you that all three of us are physicians and, between us, we are board-certified in 5 specialties (Preventive Medicine, Internal Medicine/Critical Care Medicine and Pediatrics/Infectious Disease) and one of us has an MPH. In addition to that, we're all in another profession that requires physical fitness - one of us just completed a marathon. The "hCG Program" is complete and utter nonsense. People pay thousands of dollars to come to this place to be injected with hCG and eat a 500 calorie daily diet. This is wrong and, more importantly, it is dangerous. This place preys on the weak, the uninformed and the desperate. The truth people - if you want to lose weight, you need to eat a healthy, balanced diet in moderation (check out "Eat What you Love, Love What you Eat" by Michelle May, MD) or, if you're morbidly obese with obesity related medical problems like hypertension or diabetes, you need to talk to your physician about gastric bypass surgery. The Medical Director of this place has an MD after his name...hey, guess what, so did Michael Jackson's doctor. We researched this guy and while he started out as OB-GYN/REI, he went back and did some sort of training in Preventive Medicine but did not sit for (or pass) PM boards and is not a member of the American College of Preventive Medicine. Credentials MATTER! Anyone can say they are world reknowned...it doesn't mean squat. He is intentionally decieving people with bogus promises and a program that cannot possibly be sustained once they leave the spa - not to mention the dangers associated with starvation (that is what a 500 calorie diet is by the way). I won't even mention the print-out that was posted of how to respond to "the pro-vaccine crowd" - offensive, stupid and irresponsible. Clue number 1 that this guy is a snake oil salesman. But, if you don't believe ME, you think I'm the "Western Medicine Establishment"...google around some reputable sources...like the FDA (or if they're "The Man"), then look at Dr. Oz' website. hCG is nonsense and it doesn't matter how lovely the rooms were or how sweet the staff or how awesome the hiking - I will never spend another penny at this place as long as they promote this kind of crap. So go ahead hCG lovers...argue with me and when, some time in the future, you figure out that you wasted thousands more than we did on the latest fad diet, remember the book I mentioned above...and go talk to your primary care physician

Oh, and BTW - who rated this place from AAA and Travel + Leisure?

Room Tip: The Grand Suite was great - we were by the Mission Pool and it was very quiet. If you stay on the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
22 Thank cakiley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Lehi, Utah
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

We first stayed in a condo at the Green Valley Resort last summer. The condo was excellent, the facilities were great and we had a wonderful time! We enjoyed saving money by cooking meals in and not eating out all the time.

This spring was another story entirely. We booked the same condo on their website. When we showed up, we were told that the unit we reserved was not available. The owners had decided not to rent it for awhile. They moved us to another "comparable" unit. We were sorely disappointed with the new condo. It was much smaller and older than the one we had chosen. When we called the front to see if we could change units, they assured us that the unit we were in was the only one available, but that we could check back in the morning after check-out time.

The following morning, we spoke with the front desk and then the manager. We were told, that there was nothing to be done. We were lucky that there was space for us because without someone cancelling, we wouldn't even have a room. Long story short, if you book online, you should know.

1. The inventory online does not reflect the actual rooms available.
2. If you book online, they do not notify you if there is a change made to your reservation.
3. You can only enter adults online. If they do change your room and you have children with you, you may be placed in a room that is too small for your family.
4. the online price does not accurately reflect the actual price you will pay. The website charges you the cleaning fee for each day you are there. When you arrive, you need to make sure the cleaning fee is only charged once.

Despite the fact that we were extremely disappointed with the way that things were handled, the resort did not try to help us in any way. Most companies I have dealt with in the past will at least try to make sure you are happy so that you come back. Green Valley Resort did not seem to care what we thought or how we felt. Not sure if we will go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Dorothy L
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

Just returned from a five day stay as a spa guest with a friend. Two bedroom unit was great and hiking incredible and staff extremely friendly and food great too. Massage services and afternoon lectures and meditation sessions were excellent too. Highly recommend this spa.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Susanslerner
Princeton, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

I am a bit conflicted in reviewing this spa. We stayed in as daily rate guests instead of as a package which was much cheaper and would allow us to test the waters and decide for our next visit.

They were very helpful in going over the offerings on the phone to help me determine which type of guest would be most cost affective. And during our stay, everyone we encountered was similarly friendly and kind

Arrival - we pulled into the parking lot, unloaded our luggage and made our way to the front door tired and exhausted from traveling all day and a long flight from the east coast. ONly to be created at the door by someone to tell us to take our bags back to the car since we will be going to the opposite part of the lot for our rooms. - Already I was not feeling the vibe.

At reception, I asked about the offerings for the next day because I understood that not everything is offered every day. I knew I wanted cooking and yoga and would be willing to try for a nice full day if those were included. (there is a flat price per day for attendance at almost all the activities). The woman at the desk did not know. When I called from the room to ask again I was told they forgot to give me a schedule for the next day and I should come to the reception in the am. - No, sorry, they should have slid one under my door.

ROOMS -Positives - spacious and cozy and clean, plush bedding and gas fireplace was on. Standard high end amenities although (negatives - ) there was no robe which would have been helpful to go to the hot tub/pool. There was not a stand alone shower and I had to climb over and into the Jacuzzi tub for the shower. I am getting too old for this and I warn you to call ahead and ask if there is a room with separate shower if you are a bit older or less agile.
POOL and HOT TUB - we did not use it, even though it was right outside our back door and looked inviting on a very cool night with the steam rising. Entrance to the pool area is at one end only and there was no way I wanted to trek in a bathing suit , in the cold without a robe and only a towel to get wet and trek back. Not the worst thing but I just wasn't into it.
FOOD - This is what this spa has a reputation for, delicious health food and it was.
FACILITY - the main house is very lovely and inviting and holds the dining hall, spa, reception, gym... I did not take any classes so I cannot be a judge in this area. But the classes I saw looked inviting. SPA - Loved my treatments but again, some negatives: They ask that you shower pre massage with a disinfectant and body scrub. That sounded smart even if I never heard of it before. BUT, having someone wait for you to come out of the shower was uncomfortable and having someone load a washcloth for you with the scrub and soap did not make me feel cared and pampered but like I was not being trusted. Then you enter this outdated shower where the door opens against the towel and chair so you have no choice but to walk around the shower door dripping all over the floor to get to your stuff. Just strange and poor design and the woman was not very friendly or even smiling. I kept wondering if I was taking too long... AND they give you a bag, like the ones in grocery stores that are reusable, to put your belongings in and take to your massage. When my massage was complete I was asked for the bag. TACKY!

Outside facility - granted this was off season so .... The buildings seemed a bit old, you have to walk throughout the large parking lot to get from the main building to the rooms which are all ground floor in long rows. The water fountain was off (again off season perhaps). no beautiful views or vistas but if you spend most of your time indoors, what does it matter?

Hiking - There are wonderful places to hike and walk in the area and Zion is not that far. If you are traveling with someone then there is no need for the guide unless maybe it is the van you want. On one of our Zion hikes, we arrived the same time as a van from the Red Mountain Spa. The began the hike at the same time as us but were done much sooner. It did not seem like they stopped to admire anything just there and back. Almost like a goal to accomplish. If this is the typical hike and you are not that type of hiker, be sure to inquire before you book.

In Summary - I may come back here again if the price is right because I am often in St George. But, if you are coming specifically here for the Spa, do your research. As a strong positive, This place is very low key and the guests were all unassuming. I really really liked that!

Room Tip: a room close to the entrance to the hot tub and pool is also a room furthest from the main house...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Travel4Joy
Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

Just spent a long weekend hiking in the beautiful red rock country in St. George, UT. I went with a friend, and we shared a lovely, well appointed room at the Green Valley Spa and Resort. The hiking guides are top notch, very friendly, patient and intuitive about what hiking level is appropriate for you on any given day. I also had spa treatments each day, which were very good as well. The dining experience at Green Valley may underwhelm; the food choices are very limited, but what we had was fairly good. That said, the staff in the dining room (as everywhere at the hotel) was warm and welcoming. I would return, if only for the amazing hiking, accompanied by the great guides at Green Valley Spa.

Room Tip: Coyote Inn rooms are the best
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank ElaineH94301
Riverton, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

This was a WOW experience from start to finish. Beautiful, luxurious, private and relaxing. Couldn't have asked for anything more perfect. Even though the resort was near capacity, we felt like we were the only ones there. Many activities available, but we were mostly interested in taking it easy. The staff was particularly friendly and knowledgeable and interested in making our stay enjoyable. Loved it all.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rory J
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

Wonderful resort, wonderful service & food. But, be sure you have all your cost details given to you in writing, including the verbal agreements.

Room Tip: Explore all options & take advantage of available photos along with info on the rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo