“Go for the Hiking”

Green Valley Spa and Resort
Ranked #24 of 43 Hotels in St. George
Reviewed January 6, 2008

Before coming I read mixed reviews about Green Valley. I am an experienced spa-goer and have been to Miraval, Lake Austin Spa and the Golden Door. Green Valley is a somewhat different experience, but overall I gave it above average marks:

My likes: very comfortable room, plenty of bath products and a jacuzzi tub, coffee was always brewing (Starbucks!), great hiking with knowledgeable guides (you need to get off the property and do some hikes in the desert/canyons to really get the experience - its invigorating and inspirational), a low key atmosphere - it is not a physical bootcamp or a fat farm - you can push yourself as much or as little as you want. Food was excellent. The workout room was very modern and large with new equipment - frequently I was the only one there using it and I felt like I had my own private gym.

I was neutral about the treatments. They were pretty good, but not exceptional. The spa facility is okay, but could benefit from an updating and a more comfortable quiet area where you wait for your treatments. I did really like the products they used and purchased some to bring home

My dislikes were minor: I found the program scheduling a little too tight and in some cases odd. Meditation was scheduled at 1:00 p.m. - who wants to meditate on a full stomach? If you wait until after class to eat, lunch has already ended. Also the evening programs started at 7:00 p.m. Since many people are still finishing their dinner at 7:00 you either have to rush to finish dinner or miss the program. Starting it at 7:30 or 7:45 would seem much more logical. I missed out on one or two things I wanted to do b/c things were so tightly scheduled and I refused to rush.

Overall, though, a very relaxing experience and I would go back esp for the great hiking experience

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan91
There are newer reviews for Green Valley Spa and Resort

Reviewed December 3, 2007

I definitely would not recommend either the hotel or spa. Not worth the money at all. The hotel is very dated as other reviewers have indicated. I paid extra for the "premium view" only to find there really is no view at all from any of the rooms. Threatening signs throughout the property regarding everything from taking your shoes off before entering the room, to use of the facilities, to whether to take food out of the refrigerators etc. Nickel and dimed everywhere. Next to very dreary condominiums which share many of the facilies. No spa facilities to speak of -- just a few treatment rooms. I was really looking forward to a special experience and was very disappointed. I couldn't believe that this place has received such rave reviews in the past -- I can't see why. The towels were scratchy! The bathtub would have been nice but it ran out of hot water at the half-tub mark. Staff just doesn't seem to care. The location is pretty bad as well -- perhaps once it was ok, but now suburbia has built up around it. I will definitely stay elsewhere if I ever return to St. George.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JmgNevada
Reviewed November 13, 2007

I just returned from the Green Valley Spa in St. George, Utah, and while I must say there are several things that make it very nice, I'm not so sure it's worth all the money. When you first check in, it does seem a bit dated in decor, so that was a disappointment. The office staff seemed friendly, but not that professional. As for the rooms, they were very nice, with very very comfortable beds, which they will tell you they are famous for. They are really comfortable, with down comforter pads, and pillows.....super nice! A couple things I did not like were the towels....really scratchy, and not comfortable to use at all! Not sure why they can't get nicer towels here. And although we were in the desert, we did find two roaches in our suite, which wasn't so cool! One alive, and one dead.....not nice! The spa treatments were very nice and they had alot to offer here. Most of the staff here were very attentive, and spent alot of extra time on you to make sure you had a great experience. The food was excellent healthy fare, but I noticed a lack of good proteins for breakfast and lunch meals. We had to ask for eggs etc., with our meals during breakfast. All in all though, really great healthy food here! One major disappointment for us was the fact that they had all these beautiful fountains throughout the grounds of this facility, and they were all turned off!! We were paying the same amount as earlier guests who got to enjoy these beautiful fountains, but I guess they decided to turn them all off for fall.....that was very disappointing, because I feel that it would enhance the grounds and the serenity they are trying to display. They should keep them running all the time for all of their guests to enjoy! All in all, a nice experience, but I'm not sure we would ever go back. It was alot of money, and I'm not sure it was worth it. Think we'll try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank zagmom
Reviewed November 7, 2007

I have stayed at many spas and this is the best. I try to go there
every 3 or 4 months to recharge. The beds and rooms are
heavenly - you never want to leave. I do not do the classes or hikes
but I hear they are great. The staff has always been extremely
friendly and you will not feel strange going solo. Food is
delicious and low cal. I recommend this place to everyone
who needs R and R and pampering!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed October 18, 2007

I have returned to Green Valley twice and have family who goes yearly. The experience is amazing. It is the most relaxing place I have ever visited.

At first glance I thought the place seemed dated...only there is something about this spa that immediately relaxes all that enter and it has a vibe that carries throughout the property. The spa services are wonderful, the food is true "spa food" and the spa really customizes a dining plan for each guest based on body type. I never thought I would want to dine in my robe only at Green Valley I dined in my robe for almost every meal during our week long stay. I have visited many other first rate spas and none of them seem to care about the dining plan as much as Green Valley.

The classes were incredible. During my first stay in my early 20's I was captivated by what I learned and became hyper consious about health and food after the education I received at this spa. After returning almost 10 years later my experience was the same, I was reinvigorated and excited about my body and ready and recharged to face the world.

Even if you aren't a big hiker....which I am not....I still enjoyed the daily hikes because the area is so beautiful that these hikes cannot be missed. All the yoga and aerobics classes were also great.

The touches from the "color of the day" to many others just make the experience even more special.

The staff is wonderful in every respect.

I even order their skincare line from home since it worked so great for me while I was at the spa. I also brought home the "Rapunzel's" hair oil which I apply nightly and think back to my fabulous "Rapunzel" hair massage on the spa's outside deck.

When I got off the plane from Las Vegas a friend who picked me up from the airport drove right past me and when I finally flagged her down she breathlessly remarked at how amazing I looked and the "glow" I had. She said she didn't even recognize me.

Definitely don't miss Green Valley Spa!

I recently visited Red Mountain Spa in St. George and although from the surface it looks fabulous it doesn't compare in any respect to Green Valley Spa....it is more of a luxury resort than a true health spa.

My parents have fallen so in love with Green Valley that they just purchased a home in St. George so they can visit whenever they want to!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank sdbtrflygrl
Reviewed October 6, 2007

My friend and I made a pact several years ago to try every spa that looked extremely inviting. We have been numerous times to Miraval, which is considered top of the line. I am only saying this to help you understand that I know what makes a good spa experience. I am sincere when I tell you that you will love Green Valley. All spas have their strengths and weaknesses. Green Valley outshines even the best with regards to the treatments and the hiking. Every single treatment was wonderful. There was not one "average" massage therapist. I had every different kind of massage (Lomi Lomi, Thai, etc.) and I was never disappointed....and I am a massage snob. The hiking was superb. The guides are like young Zen masters with tons of knowledge about the topography, plants, and wild life. They are serene and patient. Ask for Tyler. He was so wonderful and intelligent. He's quiet if you want silence, but he also will tell you all kinds of interesting information about the earth if you ask. I can't recommend this place enough.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank Maclean55
Reviewed September 8, 2007

We just spent the night at the green valley spa and resort and were terribly disappointed. This place is as far from comfortable as a motel 6. The rooms are large but the couch and chair were unusable. I had to drag the chaise lounge from the deck into the room just to have a decent seat!
The bath towels would make great floor mats, the only towel you can use to dry off is a small terry cloth covering the ottoman in the bathroom.
There is a big write up in the guest book about the wonderful bed on which they spared no expense, but the reality is the down mattress cover was old and lumpy. The bellhop was very impressed with two TV's and a fireplace but they're all arranged so poorly as to be unusable.
There are several pools which are accessed from your deck; but don't expect privacy on your deck, all are accessible by anyone walking by.
If your idea of a resort is one in a suburb surrounded by apartments then you'll enjoy the grounds of this one.
If you want to go to ZIon you'll be much happier staying at the lodge in the park for nearly half the price.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends