“Stay on the Ball, because they Aren't!”

Green Valley Spa and Resort
Ranked #24 of 43 Hotels in St. George
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Since we're on a budget, we chose to enjoy our vacation a la carte as opposed to the all-inclusive for room, meals, hikes & classes (and only 1 treatment per day) which is quite pricey. Upon checking in, I was surprised to see the location of the resort not immediately surrounded by mountains and nature but instead, neighborhoods. The girl who checked us in was quite flighty. I had to keep asking for expected things such as the breakfast coupons included in our bed and breakfast deal and the key cards to our room. I also asked for a schedule of my appts. I made ahead of time as was requested to do so and was stated that one would be given on the website, but she said she did not have one for me. (Maybe that's only for all-inclusive guests.) This made me a bit concerned as to whether the appts. were still intact and I had to ask about each one to confirm them at the treatment area. Another disappointment was that I figured since I'm already a fit hiker, I'd be able to enjoy the hikes that this place has toted to be surrounded by and known for without the guides... wrong! There is a dirt lot with some paths in walking distance, but all the great guided hikes are driven to in vans. Oh well... at least the room was nice and clean and had all the ammenities I enjoy.

We saw on the website that we were able to bring our dog (a small terrier-mix) for a small nightly fee and a $500 refundable deposit, so we did knowing she'd love the hikes. She did absolutely no damage and so I fully expected the refund right after we checked out. I asked the front-desk girl (different from before) about it when I cheked out and she said that the room had to be approved by the maid first. That seemed reasonable, so I left and checked my account for the refund a few days later. It had not been applied so I called and the first ditsy girl answered, confirmed that it should have been credited, and said she'd take care of it right away. I felt assured but should have known better based on my previous experience with her. I checked my account 4 days later and it shockingly was still not credited. I had to call again, but this time talked to a third front-desk girl who said she was all alone and would look into the matter and get back to me by the next morning. That was 3 days ago. I give up and am now having my Discover card company handle it. I love how my card company takes care of business!

All-in-all, I enjoyed my trip simply because I was away with my husband and pet companion and the grounds and pools are pretty and quiet. The treatments offered differed from the norm which entised me and I enjoyed them. The waiting room however could have used something to nibble on, such as trail-mix, and some updated reading material. As far as food goes, all we had was breakfast there because even with the "coupons" of $10 each, the cost was not nearly covered, especially with all the fees added on and the expected tips. I probably wouldn't go there again unless I had a really great deal I couldn't refuse.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Michelle L
There are newer reviews for Green Valley Spa and Resort

Reviewed August 5, 2011

I went to this spa with a group of friends for enjoyment. While the spa services were good, nothing else was. The rooms were average, The food was TERRIBLE! They served a "special diet" that was not mentioned on their website. None of us were on a diet and there was NO other food choices. We starved for days! Good Luck Getting real cream for your coffee...it's not happening! Service was minimal. You couldn't even get a towel for the pool. When we tried to speak with manger about the problems she seemed disinterested and said she would be in contact....she never contacted any of us!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
6  Thank amyjoy007
Reviewed June 3, 2011

My wife and I are finishing up our forth stay at the green valley spa. It has been five years since our last visit. It is everything we remembered. We stayed in the coyote inn with a standard room. The rooms are very large with a king size featherbed, seating area, desk and an exquisite bath. The coyote inn is in two areas each surrounding an adults only pool.
The area is very peaceful and quiet.

We hiked every day. The hiking staff is unequaled. We are both over 65 and were able to do the strenuous hikes. There were always enough guides who clearly loved off trail hiking and sharing their knowledge. We never felt like we were in an uncomfortable or unsafe situation. The views were incredible.

The food was tasty and very filling. There are limited serving hours and menu. This fit our schedule but might be a problem for a late riser. Meals are eaten at shared tables. We enjoy meeting other guests and find this a great way to make friends.

We would use the afternoons for spa services. All were excellent.

If you are looking for a unique, small family spa and enjoy outdoor activities,
The green valet spa is an outstanding choice.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 60878Checkers
Reviewed April 28, 2011

Green Valley is an extremely special place. I just came back from my 6th trip there. I think it would be useful to this review to tell you what I like about it personally. I live in South Florida so the hiking is on the top of my list for a trip to Green Valley. It is spectacular. If you do not love to hike and be outdoors it might not be the place for you. A typical day starts with an early breakfast and then hiking. The hiking groups are separated into 4 levels to accommodate everyone's abilities. If you are on the strenuous hike you will get back to the spa right before lunch. If you are looking to get your workout indoors then you might feel the class selection is limited. There are only a few classes to choose from each day. However, if you are up for burning 1,000+ calories before lunch and then relaxing for the rest of the day, this is your place.

This brings me to the food. It is spa cuisine. It is low calorie but flavorful. I am a total foodie and I really enjoy dining out. South Florida is full of fine dining restaurants. But that is not what this trip is about for me. It is about having good food that is satisfying and healthy. If you love cheeseburgers and ice cream every day, then you will surely be disappointed with the food. If you like fish, chicken, buffalo, fruit, veggies, salads, delicious trail mix and other low fat goodies, then you will like it.

There are mediation classes after lunch which are a great way to relax and center yourself. Most guests are coming from a busy work schedule and are looking forward to down time.

The spa opens at 1 pm and there are a variety of great treatments. The therapists are eager to please. There are daily lectures at 5 pm which are inspiring. The weekday lecture schedule is more robust than the weekend schedule.

Dinner is at 6 pm. All meals are served at large tables so you have time to get to know other guests. There are solo travelers and group travelers. I find my fellow guests to be extremely warm and kind people with interesting stories to tell.

The staff are wonderful. Make sure you connect with Mike, the general manager and meditation instructor....amongst other things, he will make sure you are having a great time.

The rooms are very spacious (750 sq ft at a minimum) and the beds are the most comfortable I have ever slept in. They beat the Ritz and the Four Seasons. Which brings me to my next point. Don't come expecting a very fancy place. I love the Ritz and always will. However, this is a low key causal environment - which is what makes is special. There are only 40 rooms. The staff will learn your name and remember what you like for breakfast.

If you are open to a vacation that can having a lasting impact on your life then Green Valley might be your place.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank eldfsu
Reviewed December 28, 2010

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay - it was our first trip to the area & spa. We felt it was a wonderful experience: we loved the hikes - appreciated the guides and the Red Mountains' beauty; Francesca's cooking and many special qualities enhanced the experience; the treatments were excellent; the room was wonderful. It also happened to be a group of really nice folks of similar interests & temperament.
I just read some of the negative reviews and am hopeful the GVS has addressed some concerns. One issue when we were there with another, lovely guest did involve some inflexibility re: return of a deposit for a member of her party who was unable to make the trip. Issues like that should always be addressed - good customer service, responsive management and kindness are the best marketing.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jbgoes
Reviewed November 15, 2010

We loved out stay in the very comfortable rooms. Fireplace and private patio add a lot and the proximity of the pool it perfect.

Loved the spa treatment and the golf lesson by pro John Lagant was the best. He's a master.

If you're in this corner of Utah it's a great place to stop for a few days. We didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank webuchholz
Reviewed October 31, 2010

I went there for tennis camp and my wife and sister-in-law went there for spa. The tennis camp was well run and I met the legend Vic Braden. Timing was perfect since this will be the last time Vic will run the camp himself. He will be missed dearly. Hiking was GREAT! I don't think I can find these trails myself. Mark (the hiking guide) was excellent and very attentive. The trails he took us on were very scenic and challenging while keeping the hike within our limits and safe. They have so many hiking levels to choose from. Food was excellent! Francesca the chef knows how to take care of us. She even showed us how to prepare our own meal one evening and ordered special treats for me . Healthy, delicious, nutritious meal everyday. Each meal was under 500 cal but it was satisfying. If we liked more food we can ask for more and it was very tempting. We all lose weight. We had a really good time in her dining room/kitchen. Room was spacious since we were in a 2 bedroom suite. The place has numerous swimming pools but we were too busy to take advantage of them. There were rose bushes throughout the compound and they were beautiful. The place was very quiet so one can have a lot of quiet time and relaxation. The exercise classes were very good and had few participants, so were the hikes, so we all received a lot of attention. They gave us lunch packs to take with us when we went to Zion on our own. They also packed snacks for us when we left.
This is one of the top few places we have been to that we felt vey comfortable and enoyed the entire stay. The staff made all the difference!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family