“Steak and more”

Gun Barrel Steak & Game House
Reserve with OpenTable
Gun Barrel Steak & Game House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 245 Restaurants in St. George
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Gun Barrel Steak & Game House t is known for its premium beef and game dishes cooked over an open grill. All beef served at the restaurant is premium choice and aged 21 days to ensure the most flavorful and tender steaks. Patrons are welcome to watch chefs cook a variety of meats on the open grill where mesquite wood is used to create a flavorful and distinctive taste. We're proud to be St. George's favorite local steakhouse and have been voted "Best Restaurant," "Best Steak," "Best Ambiance" and "Best Dessert" by St. George Magazine. We offer a children's menu and full bar.
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Very good value. The bison burger with sweet potato fries and their apple pie was great. Also the rainbow trout was well prepared. Rustic and casual dining.

There are newer reviews for Gun Barrel Steak & Game House

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Our party of six visited the Gun Barrel on a Friday evening in October, 2013. Our service was provided by Mylene between 9:00-10:30 pm. Four of our party ordered a flat iron steak for $14.00 and two of our party ordered a ribeye and prime rib. Our steaks were prepared as ordered however there was a vast amount of tendon and fat that was not edible. I ordered a strawberry margarita without salt or sugar rimming. My drink was delivered with a heavy sugar rim. We requested our drink menu remain to later decide on wine. After once removing the menu from Myene's hand to remind her it was needed shortly, she removed the menu. While the above concerns were disappointing we were once again perplexed when Mylene included their 'mandatory 17% service fee' which she stated was outlined 'clearly' on their menu. After expressing our disappointment with mandatory %17 we were visited by 'manager 3' who refused to provide our group with her name. Manager 3 stated "in Utah restaurant staff are paid $2.00 per hour so they need the %17 tip to "to survive". This is interesting as other establishments in St. George do not include a 'mandatory service fee'. After outlining our concerns to Manager 3 about poor service and food we were shamed into a mere %10 gratuity. As part of a large group of Canadians visiting for the Huntsman Senior Games they felt it necessary to bring our change in Canadian currency despite the exchange disparity ( Canadian dollar at 96 cents ). We were sadly disappointed in the lack of professionalism, poor food and service displayed by the Gun Barrel, St. George. Our group will definitely not return on our next visit to Utah!

2  Thank Redhead049
Reviewed October 11, 2013

a beatiful country western decor and atmosphere, well balanced menu includes most american standards but not only, they offer trouts and elk. we were 5, had a variety of dishes (not the elk or the trout though...). salads ok, the soup and house bread were very good, the chicken dishes were fine too the problems were: the steaks did not exceed the average, the wine list is limited and the service average. all that combined with average service and prety high prices account for 3 out of 5 in my personal view.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Greeted immediately...served water..which you desperately need here...and our waitperson was right there. The place is done in beautiful log style clean, simply decorated with animal heads...tasteful. The fireplace is beautifully done in stone and wished it wasn't in the 80s so we could have snuggled up. I ordered elk steak med rare..I could see the chef, they have it opened so you see this great grill area and can see your food cooked.He has been there 15 years and after tasting my steak I see why mess with the best. Melted in your mouth, sides were good not the usual zucchini mix but a good fresh beans combo..very good. Of course we didn't have room for dessert as the meal was to good to not finish. My husband enjoyed elk medallions. The staff so friendly and had a minute to see where you are from and what you have been doing. Didn't feel rushed at all. Would so go back. We missed the Fri. and Sat. Buffalo Ribs..will have to make another trip! Don't miss if you want game..great menu for those that don't care for the exoctics also.

Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

The trout, stuffed with mushroom and crab, was some of the best I've had in a long time. My friend's steak, medium rare & charred in olive oil, was also very flavorful.

Appetizers and soup were mediocre (although the side salad was good - fresh greens) and I'd have preferred a flaky rather than doughy crust on the apple pie -- that the waitress, who was very attentive, warned while talking through the desserts, "Now, just know in advance that this isn't one of those flaky crusts," seemed to indicate that many of their past patrons have had similar thoughts, and begs the question, why don't they try a flaky crust recipe instead?

Atmosphere & cleanliness: Tough to keep a place with a big open grill from gettjng a bit sticky in spots, so I'll give a pass on that, as the everything is generally very clean. I could have managed with a few fewer formerly-live species starinf down from the walls and rafters as I munched on their tasty cousins (and at the risk of having my Utah Residency revoked, I'll note that the vintage photo on the bar of a "rabbit round-up" in SLC seemed to celebrate the sport of killing critters over the practical utility of it), but what did I expect from a place called the Gun Barrel?

I'd eat there again.