“Great potential -- done in by the little things”

Gun Barrel Steak & Game House
Reserve with OpenTable
Gun Barrel Steak & Game House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 252 Restaurants in St. George
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Gun Barrel Steak & Game House t is known for its premium beef and game dishes cooked over an open grill. All beef served at the restaurant is premium choice and aged 21 days to ensure the most flavorful and tender steaks. Patrons are welcome to watch chefs cook a variety of meats on the open grill where mesquite wood is used to create a flavorful and distinctive taste. We're proud to be St. George's favorite local steakhouse and have been voted "Best Restaurant," "Best Steak," "Best Ambiance" and "Best Dessert" by St. George Magazine. We offer a children's menu and full bar.
Reviewed November 29, 2012

What a beautiful facility and an interesting menu with several elk and bison additions to usual steakhouse items. I had a strip steak, cooked just as I requested, with a caesar salad and creme brulee. The steak was tasty, just a little under seasoned, and had good sides of garlic mashed potatoes and roasted mushrooms -- a nice touch. Service at the bar was outstanding. Now, the little things. The loaf of warm bread, a welcomed feature, was somewhat stale and had little flavor. The caesar salad was above average but had a few bits of lettuce with brown edges, and the dressing was a little on the bland side -- mitigated by the wedges of lemon. The texture of the steak was a little mushy suggesting it was previously frozen. The mushrooms had a strong flavor of "a jus" from a can or concentrate. For me, wine is an important part of fine dining. Clearly no one at the Gun Barrel feels the same way. The wine list is minimal with no thoughtful selections; and the wine glasses should be thrown away. They are unacceptable to anyone who enjoys fine wine. This could be a really good restaurant if they would just fix the little things.

2  Thank winodave

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I love this place. The french dip and the french onion soup are incredible! The buffalo steak is fatty, but what do you expect from a buffalo? Also, you can't go wrong with any of their desserts. They are all superior eats. We frequently go just for dessert. I don't understand why it is ranked so low on the list. It is definitely in the top five restaraunts in St. George!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Food and service was great. Steaks and prime beef was very tasty and done to perfection. One of our party had the elk and it also was done perfect. Our server was very attentive . I visited the chef cooking the steaks ( they are cooked over a open mesquite wood grill ) . He was quite happy to show me his techniques for cooking perfect steaks..we'll be back

Reviewed October 29, 2012

This restaurant was recommended by a lady that we met in Zion National Park, who lived in
St George, UT. We wanted something that wasn't to fancy, but would be good. We both had the salmon, yes in a steak place , we had the salmon. It was cooked the way we both liked, crispy on the out side, and not over cooked. We had salads, I had the rice, my husband had the baked sweet potato...everything was delicious. We share a dessert of pumpkin cheese cake and coffee. We were very pleased with the meal and the price.Our waitress was very polite and we talked out the area.

Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Where to start...Texas style steakhouse but they forgot the Texas. A movie set restaurant with no depth sets the stage for a Golden Corral or Sizzlers meal wiith Teluride pricing. Canned French onion soup and mushrooms made me shudde and for these prices you think the salad would be more than the Costco blend lettuce. My steak was salty and a Lillie tough. All in all an experience I won't repeat

1  Thank Sandra C