“Great for the price”

GreenLeadersSilver level
torrance
“Great for the price”
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Rooms were very comfortable clean and spacious. Bed was perfect and staff accomdating. Nice place for us to end a very long road trip.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
BWCoralHillsManager, Manager at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this review, June 21, 2010
It was good to read that we were a nice place for you to end your trip.
I hope you stay with us again when in the area!
Happy Trails!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Loved the cleanliness and decor and bed or maybe I just had low expectations. The room and bathroom was great.
Breakfast was pretty standard, but on the higher end of average.
Cons: 1.Bad service--The front desk girl didnt let me have the Best Western points and was not the greatest person to ask questions/ talk to....rather rude and poor service.
2. Too far from Zion for a long hot day of trails.
Overall good place to stay in St. George but move on, stay in Springdale, its so much more cute.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
BWCoralHillsManager, Manager at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this review, June 9, 2010
Great having you stay with us and of course appreciate your comments. I will be reviewing the basics of customer service with the staff. I am sorry the interaction with the front desk was poor. I don’t know the reason frequent stay points were not given. But the most common reason is when the rate is discounted far below normal discounts which would include some of the third party booking sites (Priceline, Expedia or Hotels.com for example). Even being local I sympathize greatly. The time and distance can seem long after a great day enjoying hiking around Zion’s National Park and all I want to do is take a shower or sit in the spa.
Thanks for your review, Happy Trails!
Reviewed May 24, 2010

Great hotel at a great price. Rooms were very clean and quiet; comfy beds. Breakfast was the usual continental fare but very attentive and pleasant staff at breakfast made it extra nice. Worth a visit!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
BWCoralHillsManager, Manager at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this review, June 2, 2010
Thank you for your review! I am glad to see your stay was pleasant and satisfactory.
Sarah & Travis are absolutely outstanding attendants in the breakfast room we are VERY fortunate to have the two of them with us. If you come back on a Saturday or Sunday you are likely to be Travis serving you, ask him to juggle for you…he’s very good at it!
Until next time…Happy Trails!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed May 24, 2010

I'm a travel agent, and stayed at the Coral Hills with extended family for five nights. The rooms are clean and large, the beds very comfortable, shower's great and the flat-screen televisions a nice addition. Yes, it's an "older" property, but they've done some wonderful updates to separate them from the rest of the hotel properties nearby. The outdoor swimming pool and kid's pool were utilized during our stay. We checked out the indoor pool, (and it looked nice) but chose to enjoy the sunshine outdoors. The fitness room had some good equipment -- but wasn't overly large -- although we weren't expecting that it would be. The breakfast seems to be a item of some discussion on this board. We found the breakfast more than adequate -- from toddlers to adults. No, it's not perfect, but with choices of cereals, yogurts, fruit, breads, hard boiled eggs,fresh waffles, and juices, milk and coffee -- what more could you ask of a hotel property without a restaurant facility? I would have loved to have had a more protein-rich choice; but could certainly live with the available options. Besides, the breakfast staff more than made up for any deficiencies with their attentive service and friendliness. Their gratuity jar should be filled every day. The housekeeping staff kept things very clean and are quite efficient. Unless there are other rooms with different beds than ours, I don't know how you'd find something under the bed, as was mentioned in another review. The beds in our room were on platforms -- you couldn't get "under" the bed. The refrigerators in the rooms were larger than the usual hotel room refrigerator, and the microwave operated well. I would have liked to have had a safe in the room -- perhaps that can be added to a "wish list" of improvements at the hotel. The location of the hotel is right in the center of town. If you're up to walking around, there are plenty of interesting places to visit. I much prefer to be in town at what may be a slightly older property, than out on the outskirts of town (next to nothing) in a newer hotel. One thing we found odd during our stay -- the hotel was pretty full on a couple of the nights, and when guests left in their cars (for dinner, etc.) they put the patio chair from next to their room out in the parking space they were vacating. Since the parking spots are not assigned, we found this somewhat strange. We went to the front desk to inquire on our way out one day, but there was no one at the desk. There seems to be plenty of parking -- so I don't know why guests thought they needed to "reserve" the parking spot -- unless they really don't want to walk a few extra steps. Seems very silly to me. The wi-fi works very well -- but needs to be password protected for guest's safety. That's an easy fix, and should be addressed asap. All in all, our stay at the Coral Hills was quite enjoyable. I would certainly not hesitate to send my travel clients to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Well many thanks! It has been quite some time since I have read such a thorough review. Thank you very much for your comments and perspectives, especially since you are a travel agent…and one that travels at that! 
I did want to address two or three of the topics you brought up. First I am uncertain why the front desk would not have had anyone present. If only one person was covering the desk there should have been a sign mentioning they had just stepped away. Second, I had no idea guests saved spaces with the chairs! How interesting is that! I’m going to pass this on the staff at our next meeting and have them pay close attention on the sold out days to see if this was a “one-time phenomenon” or an ongoing occurrence. Although I do not know how we could improve the situation as it is open parking. Lastly, and most importantly, thank you for the reminder on the internet access password. We had asked for our internet provider to put on but realize now that has yet to be activated. I’ll get on that this week. Thanks again and Happy Trails!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed May 13, 2010

Our weekend stay was pretty nice. The complimentary breakfast was okay but not as deluxe as advertised. Pool had too much chlorine but was still somewhat enjoyable. We found a cockroach under the bed, so the cleaning staff doesn't clean under the beds. We'll stay in another motel in St. George the next time we go.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for your compliments. The Breakfast may have read as a “Deluxe Continental Breakfast”. Unfortunately, the classifying of the three types of breakfasts in the hospitality industry can be a confusing thing. A Continental Breakfast is a pastry and coffee, a Deluxe Continental Breakfast goes beyond this, adding cereals, a variety of breads, and juices. We have also added hot instant cereals, hard boiled eggs, the fresh made Belgium waffles, yogurt, and fresh fruit. The Full, American or Hot breakfast would also add cooked foods such as scrambled eggs and bacon, sausage, hash browns.
I am sorry the pool chemicals were not good for you. They chemicals are tested at least twice a day by maintenance and a manager so it is very seldom things get out of control. I am glad you were still able to enjoy the pool.
Regarding the bug; we have a regular service come monthly and more frequent if needed. Unfortunately and ironically, it can be after spraying one notices bug activity. And it is embarrassing as they always seem to die in the most public of places. I can’t make any excused for nature and our efforts to control the same, however, in a different light a dead bug should be taken as a good sign. It is if they are alive and extremely active one should have the most concern.
I do hope you will still consider us the next time you are in town so you may know your experience is not typical. However, if you do choose another property I would recommend the Best Western Abbey Inn as all of their rooms open to a hallway and not to the outdoors, plus they offer a Full/Hot breakfast.
Happy Trails!
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed May 6, 2010

This hotel was just what we hoped for. Clean, newer furnishings, good housekeeping, comfortable bed, quiet location. We always bring our own pillows when we drive to a destination, but this hotel had plenty of pillows on the bed had we needed more. We were given a room near the indoor pool and hot tub without asking for it, fantastic! My husband loved the speed of the free internet service. We like a full breakfast to start our day, so we just took yogurt and fruit from the hotel offerings to snack on later in the day. The breakfast was put away at 9:30, a bit early, I think. Overall, it was a very good experience. The value was excellent.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
BWCoralHillsManager, Manager at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this review, May 7, 2010
Yeah! I am so glad your stay went well! A while back, I don't recall how long it's been, but we realized how often guests were calling for extra pillows. So to make life simpler and more accommodating to everyone we now have four pillows per queen bed and five per king bed. It’s been a while since we reviewed the hours on the breakfast, it may be time to take another look. Thanks for mentioning that and THANKS for your review!
Park City, UT
Reviewed April 21, 2010

We arrived eager to tryout a new hotel - as our usual hotel was not available. Used the spa and pool - which were old but well kept overall. Slept poorly - thought there was someone in the room with me (besides our child)! The walls were so thin you could hear the person sleeping/breathing in the next room. The following day, in the bathroom, I could hear every piece of conversation as if it was happening right next to me - in the same bathroom. But what was really odd was discovering the ceiling was missing inside the overhead light cover - about a 3 foot by 8 foot space - with exposed plumbing??? It all came to light that morning when we stepped outside our room to a raging flood of hot water in the hall! I reported it to the manager on site - 2x as the hall was filling up and flooding some of the rooms! 20 minutes later the handyman showed up and said - oh yeah - it is the pipes - this happens often! What? are you kidding - 9 am in the morning and now there is no electricity and no water as they are both shut off. It appears I see why the ceiling was missing in our room! This after going to breakfast in a tight little basement with 75 people stuffed inside - inside temperature - I would guess about 90 degrees and the employees were eating the food as they were puting it out on the buffet tables! Yuck! After checking out at 9:30 am with our unwashed hair and unshaven faces - we asked the onsite management about the flooding problem - they confirmed saying it happened every 3 months or so. No apologies or credits? They offered late checkout to those that ended up with water in their rooms not with a puddle outside their doors or lacking in electricity or water...why would anyone want to stay longer - you cannot use the toilet, take a shower or clean your face?? UNBELIEVABLE!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
BWCoralHillsManager, John Kessler, AGM at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this review, April 29, 2010
AAARGH! I am sick with disappointment. I am very sorry your stay with us fell so far short of reasonable expectations. I will try to address each concern in the order it is listed.

With the exception of the outdoor pool deck, both pools and spas have been renovated with new plaster, railings and deck within the last three years.

This is the first time I’ve received a complaint about hearing a guest sleeping/breathing in a room next door. I presume there is more to this than I am being made aware. Under normal circumstances if a guest informs the staff of loud neighbors they will investigate to the exact source of the noise, and ask the offending parties to quiet down.

As best I can ascertain, the water was shut off within 5 minutes of being reported. However, the leak being in a downstairs room, water continues to drain from the upstairs pipes even after the water has been shut off. Unknown to you, the manager did see the location of the leak then left to a sister property to retrieve a water extractor for the carpets. In the meantime, maintenance being told the water was off went directly to the shop to retrieve tools sufficient to begin repairs. This was done in the intervening 15 minutes. The guest with the leak in their room was aware of the staff’s efforts.

The 3x8 gap in the recessed lighting over the sink is an oversight from a prior renovation, this may have attributed to hearing the other room’s noise so well. It is an embarrassment soon to be repaired. As to the staff stating and confirming there is a leak “every three months” is a gross exaggeration and made from flippant remarks of a prior conversation between the same two employees. The staff members involved have been embarrassed at how their comments are now known to the world-at-large, and especially since ALL guest comments are shared with the owners and ALL hotel staff.

At one time the breakfast room was originally the largest meeting space in St. George. The building was build prior to the advent of hotels serving any kind of breakfast. So, yes the room is smaller than we would like.
The a/c has at times been shut off by guests who feel the room temperature is too cold, or is not turned down soon enough by staff. We are looking into a lock box or digital/programmable thermostat to fix this problem.
Some breakfast staff has taken occasion to eat their own food in the kitchen during breakfast, which is no longer allowed because of the perception it gives.

The occurrences you experienced are not typical and we strive to make any inconveniences fair for each guest. I am disappointed all of your concerns were not brought to the attention of the front desk at check out. Efforts would have made to not have you leave until you felt fairly treated, cared for and appreciated. I sincerely do appreciate the condor, and feel the frustration of your comments and have made corrective measures as much as is possible. I hope it is not too late to improve your opinion of our property & staff and have yet an opportunity to “do things right” by you. If there is, please contact me. Thank you.