WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #40 of 41 Hotels in St. George
seattle
“Decrepit Motel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

When we planned out Utah trip there was little avail at St George for the day we were passing through. Hence, the Sands Motel. The exterior seems neat enough, but the rooms are a disaster. It is a family owned hotel, and for some reason or other have fallen behind on maintenance and upgrades. For $114 for one night we got a room that had no coffee maker, two filthy, ragged cushioned chairs, no chair suitable for sitting in to do computer work (had to request one from the office), drapes that were seriously stained with either vomit or wine, beds with non fitted sheets that did not tuck in properly, and a "breakfast" next door at the Coronado motel (must be affiliated w Sands) that was the chintziest spread we have seen these past ten days. The town was pretty well booked out or we would not have stayed; but the price was probably double what this trashy room was worth.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bruce S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Czech first
Sedgefield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed there for one night during August 2013. The rooms are very clean and the linen is crisp and fresh. Beds are very comfortable. There is enough pillows. There is a pool and an excellent breakfast included for under $30 a night during the week. I can highly recommend this motel. The a/c is not blowing over the beds.

Room Tip: Any room according to your needs.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Home
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

DO NOT stay here and if you do... do not use the pool. A child threw up Friday in and on the side of the pool and today (Sept 23. 2012... three days later) it is still there. The rooms stink, the beds are uncomfortable, there was black mold all over in the bathroom, the front desk was not helpful. This place is HORRIBLE.. BUYER BEWARE

Room Tip: RUUUN. I wish I would have stayed next door at the Coronada.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank treenaluvmykids

Travelers are raving about these St. George hotels

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

My friend and I stayed at this motel as we were passing through St George on our way to Zion. For $30 (so $15 each) it was a good value, plus we got the free breakfast. Everything was basic, but again, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank medsj
Sedona, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

In my exhaustion, thinking I would save some money since I was only sleeping for a few hours, I made the grave MISTAKE of stopping at the Sands Motel in St. George on a very brief business overnight. Upon reserving a room, I couldn't find my business credit card, so I just paid cash, BEFORE I checked the room. TRAVEL TIP: DON'T EVER pay before doing a BED BUG and mattress CHECK!!!! After arriving in this TOTAL DUMP of a room, I still had the presence of mind to check the room and of course, I found BED BUGS! The mattress was so stained and filthy that the UTAH Health Dept. needs to DO THEIR JOB and PROTECT the PUBLIC by condemning dirty dumps like this one!!!!! I was so tired and disgusted I got out of there as quickly as possible. It was late, and no one responded when I went back to the office. I was so upset that I just left and drove all night to my next destination, which with NO SLEEP, was extremely DANGEROUS! I wrote to the Sands Motel to request a refund, but have not heard back from them - big SURPRISE!!!! Thank GOD I didn't unpack my suitcase and potentially have to destroy all of my belongings b/c of BED BUG INFESTATION!!!! Stay as far away from this foreign owned filthy dump on St. George Blvd!!!!!

Room Tip: BEWARE!!!! STAY AWAY!!!! BED BUGS & the filthiest room I have ever seen in 50 years of travel...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank WorldSprinter18
Mesquite, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

From the moment my money was in their hands the people at the front dest were rude or maybe they were missing that sensor in the brain that gives a person a feeling of being welcomed. It was a man and woman team work at the front desk that pointed out what I am not allowed to do or I will be fined. One of the rules were that since I am a single woman then I am NOT ALLOWED to have any one else in my room.. this comment gave me a feeling of disgust as if I was seen as a lady of the evening and that my rights as an american with freedom were not valued, I have friends in the city and it was uncomfotable having them visit in fear of being seen as a wild woman ,dealer or being fined. The boulevard was very loud, cars driving by all night . The tub had chips in it so I was unable to relax in the tub because the peices floated in the water and on my last night I was kept awake by 4 police officers standing outside of my window talking to a man about his domestic abuse and weapons that were on his body. I go to St George 3 days a weed to do volenteer work for the disabled and needless to say I will not return to the Sands Motel, I will be much more picky about where I choose to stay next week. Maybe if my trip began with the front desk couple saying "welcome we hope you enjoy your stay" or simply smileing and treating me as a guest would have helped me to overlook the flaws but unfortunatly not everyone has the ability to show professional kindness and give a others a feeling of respect .

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank dawndee f
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

Not the nicest looking place from the outside but it offered a kitchenette. No pots, pans or cuttelry was provided though.

We turned the ovan on and could smell smoke straight away. Smoke became overwhelming and set the fire alarm off so we could not cook. We had to sit in our room with the door open to get the smoke out - not nice as there was alot of creepy looking people hanging around the motel.

The internet was very slow and cut out all the time. And the decor of the room was terrible. Really needs a "spruce up".

We didnt shower because the bathroom looked filthy but were only given one towl anyway. I have generally stayed in squats nicer than this place - stay well away!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple