“rude,unsafe,noisy and unpleasant”

Ranked #39 of 41 Hotels in St. George
Mesquite, Nevada
“rude,unsafe,noisy and unpleasant”
Reviewed February 23, 2012

From the moment my money was in their hands the people at the front dest were rude or maybe they were missing that sensor in the brain that gives a person a feeling of being welcomed. It was a man and woman team work at the front desk that pointed out what I am not allowed to do or I will be fined. One of the rules were that since I am a single woman then I am NOT ALLOWED to have any one else in my room.. this comment gave me a feeling of disgust as if I was seen as a lady of the evening and that my rights as an american with freedom were not valued, I have friends in the city and it was uncomfotable having them visit in fear of being seen as a wild woman ,dealer or being fined. The boulevard was very loud, cars driving by all night . The tub had chips in it so I was unable to relax in the tub because the peices floated in the water and on my last night I was kept awake by 4 police officers standing outside of my window talking to a man about his domestic abuse and weapons that were on his body. I go to St George 3 days a weed to do volenteer work for the disabled and needless to say I will not return to the Sands Motel, I will be much more picky about where I choose to stay next week. Maybe if my trip began with the front desk couple saying "welcome we hope you enjoy your stay" or simply smileing and treating me as a guest would have helped me to overlook the flaws but unfortunatly not everyone has the ability to show professional kindness and give a others a feeling of respect .

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank dawndee f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Czech first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Not the nicest looking place from the outside but it offered a kitchenette. No pots, pans or cuttelry was provided though.

We turned the ovan on and could smell smoke straight away. Smoke became overwhelming and set the fire alarm off so we could not cook. We had to sit in our room with the door open to get the smoke out - not nice as there was alot of creepy looking people hanging around the motel.

The internet was very slow and cut out all the time. And the decor of the room was terrible. Really needs a "spruce up".

We didnt shower because the bathroom looked filthy but were only given one towl anyway. I have generally stayed in squats nicer than this place - stay well away!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank pandabears

Travelers are raving about these St. George hotels

Salt Lake City
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The guy at the desk was really great to work with. The room, however, wasn't so pleasant. They put us up in the nearby Economy Inn, but we dealt the whole time with the management at Sands.

There was a lot of mold under the sink, as well as a bunch of earwigs. That wasn't very surprising because there was a lot of food and food crumbs left in the drawers. On top of the pantry, apparently to keep the bug problem down, they had thrown and left a lot of white powdered insecticide. That didn't bode well with a young couple expecting their first child. At midnight, and at 1:00 AM (they're punctual little beasts) cockroaches in the walls would crawl into the smoke alarm and set it off. They looked to me like the American breed.

After the first time, I demanded (and was denied) a full refund. After the second time, I took a number of incriminating photos and we left for good. We couldn't find a room, and had to drive 45 minutes back home to Cedar City, and then back to St. George.

I disputed the charge on my credit card after 2 visits and 6 unanswered phone calls to the General Manager failed to secure for me a refund.

Room Tip: easy. Go somewhere else. Definitely don't stay in 201.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mjandalo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 6, 2010

i reserved the room on the web for $30 and it was a good value. i also asked for a quiet room- the clerk showed me 3 rooms and letme choose the one i wanted. each room was very different so you should look at a room before taking it. some had kitchenettes andothers had a small fridge and microwave.my room had a full kitchen, large fridge and microwave, flat screen tv on the wall with 80 channels. it had new ceramic tile and carpeting and painted walls, but old dirty furniture. the bed was clean and comfortable.
bathroom fixures were rather new but installed poorly. water temp in the shower was initially hard to regulate. minimal towels provided.
breakfast was next door at a motel owned by the same people. it was all ready at 7 a.m. waffles, coldcereal, toast, coffee.
i used the fan to muffle traffic noise at night.
no bugs or bedbugs in the room.
overall it was a good value for the price.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank whomever
Ruth, NV, USA
Reviewed May 17, 2010

It would be nice to have a microwave in the room too, but room was all & all very comfortable

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed May 3, 2010

St. George, Utah provides great access to Zion National Park and other outdoor areas. The Sands Motel is an adequate inexpensive choice in this area. There was a fridge, free internet, and cable tv at the hotel. The bathroom looked like it had been recently renovated. The rest of the room was a little bit rundown -- nothing too bad -- but it did nicely for one night. If you are looking for a budget stopover or place to crash, this is a good place.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Farmington, Utah
Reviewed April 14, 2010

"This hotel is inexpensive. I did not expect a great facility. It's a bit run down, but it is clean, has private bathrooms, and has cable. The room didn't dissapoint.
I asked for a late check-out as I was going on a long bicycle ride. I promised to leave the room neat so they could clean it. The owner agreed to a noon checkout. I packed my bag and left the room tidy.
I had my second flat at 11:30 and called the owner. I told him I would be late. I returned to the hotel at 12:30 He hadn't rented the room, but required me to pay a $10 "bag storage" fee because I was late. It seemed a silly power-play to me. Simply an artifice to gouge.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo