“only as a last resort”

Ranked #13 of 41 Hotels in St. George
kansas city
“only as a last resort”
Reviewed July 27, 2009

On our way to las vegas, we decided to stop in st. george to give kids a break from a long drive. Initially were going to stay at the comfort inn next door and tried to save a few bucks by staying at budgetel inn staint george. What a mistake--they claimed they had wireless internet and continental breakfast. when we checked into the room it looked like a bad motel. The walls had holes where they had removed electrical sockets and had not patched or replaced the items. Because we wanted the kids to swim before the rain for a few hours and they said they had an indoor pool, we stayed. The indoor pool was almost as small as our room and smelled weired--long showers afterwards. House keeping woke us up more than 3 hours before checkout thinking we had checked out with do not disturb sign on door. Could not get the wireless to work at all--desk clerk said yes others have complained and quite frankly it does not usually work. Lead to believe pets stayed free and later charged. Hotel charges extra for everything including a fridge or microwave or coffee. Got a 1 dollar coupon for jp,s restraunt--good for a coffee--not even close to continental breakfast. Strangers(non guests) walking across the property at all hour of day and evening--lock your doors and park infront of your room. Clerk want me to leave the amount on my card without telling me the amount charged--when asked about higher amount I asked for the break down of fees which she was holding in her hand. Her reply was the taxes run about 10 percent --but she was not going to give up my receipt until I agreed to charging my card. After insisting on the receipt the third time. I saw the other fees. She quickly left the room and returned with a smuk on her face taking pleasure in charging a family of out of town visitors more than what it would have cost to stay at the comfort inn next door. Check the review for the comfort inn, best western, and others. Take this place only as a last resort--they are guaranteed to have rooms available as those who check the reviews first will go else where--as you will not save any money here only have bad accomodations. Some times when traveling you have to say yea you got me--but I hope they dont get you too.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank curt1480

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed April 25, 2009

The most memorable thing about this hotel is the odd way they do the "continental breakfast." They don't serve in the hotel. They give you a coupon for a free small orange juice or coffee and one pastry (but NOT the giant sweet rolls) or $1 off anything at two nearby restaurants. You can walk to JBs or Dennys from the hotel. We didn't use our coupons. Too tempting to get a big breakfast and end up paying much more.

Our room did not have a fridge or microwave. Other than that it was clean and quite nice. It was on the groud floor and we parked right in front. So hauling luggage in was easy. In the lobby there was a vending machine, free coffee and tea, a high speed Internet computer (with printer), a nice sitting area, free local newspaper and big TV. In our room there was also free wifi.

If we can find another hotel for the same price in St. George with a regular continental breakfast, we will stay there instead.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank AmberAnn
Salt Lake City
Reviewed March 28, 2009

Maybe I got one of the old rooms, but it was very small for the price - $99 for a small room with a queen size bed on the weekend seems a little steep for what you get. Maybe if you have a young family, this place is good, but the walls were paper thin and the crying babies and yelling kids slamming doors over and over didn't do it for me.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FredSaltLakeCity
utah
Reviewed January 8, 2009

This hotel is great for all types of travelers, many options on the rooms. The pool was great and it is in a quiet location. Staff is friendly and helpful.

• Liked — The pool and play area.
  • Disliked — Get a voucher for continetal breakfast a Dennys.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Lehi, Utah
Reviewed July 12, 2008

We spent four nights at the Budget Inn - St George makes a good centralized location for day trips to Las Vegas and Zion NP as well as other attractions such as Tuacahn.

We got a good deal with a Tuacahn package and the room worked well for my family (family suite).

A big part of the hotel experience is in the details and that is where we were disappointed:

- The hotel claims they offer a continental breakfast. This is a misrepresentation - what they offer is one free donut and a small glass of juice at a nearby restaurant. This is hardly adequate for most people so you end up using the dollar off coupons and just buy breakfast at a nearby restaurant.

- We returned from a day at Zion NP (with younger kids you can imagine we were pretty tired afterwards. When we returned that evening we found that our room had not been cleaned (very disappointing). When we asked the front desk to bring us some clean towels, they claimed that they could not leave the front desk but that we could come and get the towels (Wow, what service!?!).

We're still here (leaving tomorrow). Hopefully there won't be anymore negatives by tomorrow, I just had to write this review to get this off my chest. The details dropped my review from a 4 to a 2.

• Liked — Nice room, package deal with theatre tickets
  • Disliked — No continental breakfast, forgot to clean our room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Sengsouriya
San Diego, CA
Reviewed June 19, 2008

I was a little concerned about this property, but had I read online reviews that said dated, but clean. I have to say that it wasn't even that dated. I was pleasantly surprised by the attention to detail in the rooms and on the grounds. The rooms had all the amenities I could ask for and there were indoor and outdoor pool areas that were very nice. I loved getting $1 off at Dennys instead of eating a continental breakfast in the lobby. The owners definitely care of this property. I would stay here again in a heart beat. Cracker Barrel is right across the highway! Gotta love it.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
San Clemente, California
Reviewed May 23, 2008

This place is huge and there are accomodations for every type of traveler. Family suites to a one double bed room I had last month that looked new -- like no one had stayed in it before.

I've stayed here 3 times and all the rooms were very nice and spacious.

2 problems for me:

WiFi is ''spotty'' and signal comes and goes. Since I'm only checking emails, speed isn't too important. Front Desk told me some rooms have DSL connection so bring your own cable for best connection since the Motel doesn't have public cables. There is also DSL connection in the lobby area for public use and the speed is fast.

Second problem is that none of the windows open. I have experienced ''dirty air filters'' in other motels and have developed a ''phobia'' about air conditioners and heating vents. I use neither at Motels.

The room then feels stuffy but I deal with it.

Note to self: check with Budget to see if they have any rooms with windows that open!

The pool and jacuzzi looks very nice and inviting.

Again, this place is very big and a check-in without reservations shouldn't be a problem -- unless it's a holiday.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Window's don't open -- but check with Desk to see if they are available
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo