“Amazing gem in Southern Utah”
Review of Piccolo Mondo - CLOSED

Piccolo Mondo
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This restaurant has been open for only two months, it is Southern Italian, the chef is Italian. It's the BEST italian restaurant in Southern Utah
Las Vegas
“Amazing gem in Southern Utah”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

What a magnificent Italian restaurant in St. George. The calamari was super. the best cannoli I have had west of the Mississippi. Can't wait to visit again!

• Visited June 2012

St. George, Utah
“They now have their wine and beer license!...”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

With reviews from "don't like it", to" I think I'm back in Italy" this place was all over the board. But several friends had recommended, so four of us tested it out after a mid afternoon movie. WE ARE SO GLAD WE DID! The atmosphere with the crisp white table cloths was the first hint of a great eating experience. Sat down and our server brought the incredible homemade bread we'd heard so much about...A+. Quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar poured to dip bread in...yum. Appetizers of: Carpaccio Di Manzo...A+ and the Insalata with gorganzola...yum. We were glad we shared...good size portions for the four of us. Entrees: Tilapia Piccota with al dente veggies...A. Rigatoni Bolognese...B. Pollo Giavanni with articokes, kalamata, capers, fresh mushrooms with a side of the veggies...B+ only because a bit too salty which was my fault as I didn't tell them no salt. Zuppadi Pesce...A. All entrees were so generous in portion size we took remainder home and look forward to more tomorrow. Because my alergy doctor had eaten here and recommended the Tiaramassou, the four of us shared in a serving...best we've ever had. So...don't know if our visit was on a good day or what, but do know we will return, we loved the food, had a good server, and enjoyed a glass of wine with our entree as they now can sell it.

• Visited June 2012
St. George, Utah
“Eureka, OMG!!! Real Itallian Food”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

My wife and I are physicians who travel internationally 4-5 times yearly just to savor the flavors of the world (And see the sights). We are serious foodies. I am of Italian descent and like most of us I am very critical of Italian restaurants in the USA due to their lack of authenticity. Olive Garden is the devil right?
Enter Piccolo Mondo. "Small World" in Italian. Brand new to St George. The owner/chef is from Italy and he gets up at 2AM every morning to make fresh pasta...Now you're getting it. He has dishes like carpaccio, fresh artichokes, osso bucco. He told me "I cook Italian not Italian American"....in a thick accent. One look at the menu and you will be confused....unless you have been to Italy. The dishes are homemade, fresh, traditional.
Sublime is the word if you are a foodie.
Price was reasonable.
OK what about the rest of the story. The service is awful. Smiling kids who are tripping over themselves. Sorry. Hopefully that will improve. Also there is no liquor license so you will have to BYOB for a $6 charge.
The restaurant is a little hard to find but don't give up. If you like Italian and especially if you have been to Italy... it is a breath of fresh air.
Enjoy.
PS The tiramisu was excellent.

• Visited April 2012
St. George, Utah
“Look out, there's competition”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Well St. George, you're hitting the big time now. I have had the good fortune to locate 2 great Italian restaurants in the last few months. I have written a review on the other previously so maybe check that one out as well, go ahead... I'll wait.
Okay, now that you've sorted that one out, what do I have to say about Piccolo Mondo? Very little that is negative and a whole lot that's positive.
Let's start with the negatives:the service was a wee bit slower than we all usually like. But in their defense this does not seem like a quick pop-in lunch style restaurant. That being said though, we were done well within an hour of seating and one of our party arrived 5 minutes or so after we did so we wound up waiting on our own. (I think a leisurely dinner here would be outstanding.)
There wasn't a ton of people eating but there seemed to be a few members of waitstaff available. I would like to have received just a little bit more attention. But it wasn't obnoxious by any means. I think the only reason I really noticed was I wanted more olive oil for the delicious bread.
That pretty much takes care of the negatives. We did overhear one of the waitstaff apologize to a couple that had been there when we arrived. Apparently their meals took an inordinate amount of time to prepare and arrive at their table. (uh oh red flag we're gonna be late getting back to work!) I have no idea how late it was, but I will say my sense of unease dissipated the moment the server returned with the bill. Gratis. They completely comped their meal. You do not see this happen very often and it was refreshing to say the least. Very classy.
The restaurant was extremely clean and we had a good idea of the price levels when we saw the actual linens on the tables. While the waitstaff may not have been waiting on us hand and foot they were laboring to keep the place spic and span, in fact, we witnessed a couple of them diligently wiping down the glasses to make sure there were no water-spots; they care about the details.
Prior to ordering the chef came out and introduced himself, also very classy, and I have to say judging by the accent this place is authentic Italian.
We were provided with some lovely bread that appeared to be rosemary and sun-dried tomato, if I can draw a comparison, it was very much like the bread you get a Romano's Macaroni Grill and that's high praise from me as I LOVE their bread.
I ordered the Rigatoni Bolognese, HUGE portion and it was outstanding; a fantastic sauce and perfectly cooked pasta right at the edge of al dente.
One of my tablemates got Spaghetti with Meatballs, the sauce was similar to mine just without the meaty bits. The meatballs were very flavorful and perfectly cooked. And like mine the portion was very large.
The other ordered the Lasagna, and again, no disappointment. She actually favored it over the other place I reviewed a while back. Well played Piccolo Mondo.
In the end this place is easily one of the best, if not the best, Italian place located in town, much better than the big chain restaurant that we have.
As for the full comparison with the other restaurant I keep mentioning... the deciding factors would simply be cost and accoutrement. If you have a little more to spend and would like a little classier environment to eat in, this place takes the prize, very well decorated and tastefully appointed. That being said, the food in the other place is comparable for the price difference. Either place is heads and shoulders above the OG and you couldn't go wrong with either choice. Personally, I wouldn't drive past one to go to the other and I think that is a solid recommendation for both.
Currently Piccolo Mondo does not have their liquor license so there is no wine, but they do have a lovely cooler ready and waiting for it. A point one of my table mates was affronted by. She could hardly bear the thought of an empty wine fridge going to waste.
I say get to this undiscovered gem while the wait is short because once word gets out I'm confident people will be lining up.

• Visited April 2012