“"Beware of Cancellation Policy!"”

Super 8 St. George UT
Ranked #31 of 41 Hotels in St. George
Eckert, Colorado
“"Beware of Cancellation Policy!"”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

First, let me say that the "travel date" isn't exactly applicable here, but it wouldn't let me proceed without filling it in, so I entered what was the planned date. This site is for telling others about our experiences with establishments, and I consider the reservation process a big part of one's experience!
I was to be a passenger on a road trip and we planned on stopping in St George to break up the drive between destinations. I made my reservation directly thru the manager for a one night stay, after researching many hotels in the area. I always make sure I understand all cancellation policies, as my health is very poor and unpredictable, and at a moments notice I may have to cancel. This hotel's policy reads that reservations must be canceled within 48 hrs of arrival. Period. It doesn't say HOW this must be done...it just says it must be done. The confirmation that I received via email also said this, and their online reservation desk states that cancellations may be also be done online. Again, nowhere does it state that a call must be made.

5 days before my arrival date at this hotel, my health took a turn for the worse. I proceeded to call the hotels whose policy stated that a call must be made, and canceled via online for others. For this hotel, I emailed the address directly of the reservation desk from which I had received my confirmation, (as I always prefer something in writing if at all possible so as not to have a "he said/she said" situation) thanked the manager for all his help, sent my regrets and told them I must cancel. This email was sent and received. However, when I got my bank statement, I saw that I had been charged in full for this stay! I called the manager questioning this, and he replied that I should have called to cancel! I asked him where in the policy does it state this, and he could not say...because it doesn't say this. I told him that I sent a cancellation in writing, then provided him a copy of my confirmation, the cancellation email, and noted for him what the hotel's policy says..(again asking him to show me where it says I must CALL)...including the fact that it states that a reservation may be cancelled online. He did not care, and pretty much told me that this was his decision to make, and I was out of luck.

The hotel itself may be nice...I don't know. Yes, I originally chose it because of the positive reviews. But I will suggest that if there is any chance of plans being changed on your trip, and you want to have your money refunded, that you look elsewhere!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Saint George
Reviewed March 6, 2014

My wife and I truly enjoyed our stay here. The service was great, room was very clean. Window a/c and heater was a little noisy, but that is to be expected when it is in the same room as you are. We just turned it off and snuggled.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I've stayed at the St. George Super 8 three or four times now. I think it's the best deal in St. George. Hyren, the manager, keeps the place in great condition. The rooms are clean and roomy, the beds are comfortable and the complimentary breakfast is generous. For the price, it's unbeatable.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo