“Get the back nine if you can”

Southgate Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Southgate is a great course for those looking for an enjoyable round of golf as opposed to a brutal test of your skills. Southgate also features a game improvement center with award-winning PGA professionals and instruction programs.A great walking course, the front nine requires accuracy to sucessfully negotiate the waterways. Eight out of the nine holes on the front nine feature either a lake or the Santa Clara River as scenic challenges to par. The back 9, slightly longer than the front nine, adds the element of risk and reward which allows the player to recover shots lost on the front nine. Southgate Golf Club is a par-70 layout which is enjoyable for all levels of ability.
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Get the back nine if you can”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

The front nine has recently been reworked to accommodate the new I-15 interchange. The result is that half of the holes are still pretty sparse of trees. Also, the walking distances seem forever. Water/gully hazards on a couple of the holes are ridiculous. The back nine, however, is beautiful, hilly, and fun to play. You have to ask for the back nine, although it's not always available depending on 18-hole groups already on the course.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank RGinSG

“Excellent Course”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

This is an excellent, fun course to play! The greens were a little fast when I played there, but it worked for me I was putting like a champion.

Visited May 2012
Eagle, Idaho
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Fun course at affordable rate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

This is a real bargain for a nice course. Nothing fancy, but plenty of good holes. Not as scenic as others that are found in the area, but still really nice. The staff was very accommodating.

Visited March 2012
Sandy, Utah
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“New 9”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

Loved the new and improved 9 at Southgate. It really improves this course.

Visited March 2012
“Very Enjoyable!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

I showed up at Southgate this morning at 9:00 AM, without a tee time, and was promptly allowed to play the back 9. I had read other reviews indicating that the course was torn up by the flood in 2010, and while I played the back 9 (the 9 not affected by the flood), I was able to go to the front 9 and see that Southgate and the city of St. George have done an excellent job repairing the course. I paid $27.50 for 9 holes and cart. There was a twosome in front of me and a threesome behind me but I never felt like I was in a rush. The holes were challenging but forgiving. The most difficult part for me was navigating through the houses which line every fairway, but I didn't hit any. This was my first time golfing in two years and Southgate was very enjoyable! I will return many times, now that I'm a resident of St. George. I hope the staff at Southgate reads this review and knows they are doing a great job. One more thing I wanted to mention: I had a reservation at another Washington County course, but I cancelled it when they were rude to me on the phone. I called Southgate with some questions before I arrived and they were very friendly and took their time to make sure all my questions were answered. They understand that there are many places one can golf in Washington County and Southgate isn't at the top of many people's list right now - they are making sure that their customers have a great experience both on the course and when dealing with the course's employees. THANK YOU!

Visited November 2011