“Old and tired”

Dixie Red Hills Golf Course
More attraction details
Owner description: This nine-hole golf course, built in 1965, was St. George's first, and is considered in the top nine-hole courses in Utah.
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I've lived here almost 4 years and play 3X a week with a 5 hdcp and finally played Red Hills. (Full disclosure - it was hot and humid the day we played, and that may factor into my impression.)

This is the first course in St George, and they apparently haven't done much to upgrade it. The holes are forgettable with no views, and the course itself was in only fair condition. The greens were so soft that every approach shot imbedded in its mark - I mean really imbed, like half the ball under ground.

There are a lot of couples who use the course, and many of them are older and slow. (I'm older too, but not slow.) The course has no dress code and so you'll see all kinds of outfits you would never see on a nicer course. In fact you probably wouldn't see some of them at a bowling alley.

I hate to sound snobbish as I think there needs to be courses like this for beginners and for people who wake up and decide today is the day they are going to try golf for the first time. If you are at least a semi-serious golfer, you would be better served trying one of the other city courses. Or if you're here during off season go to The Ledges. Best views on any course in Utah.

There are newer reviews for Dixie Red Hills Golf Course

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Nice short golf course for all ages, best for juniors and seniors or someone learning to play the game. Nice greens with some speed. Great views

Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is where it all started in St. George.. the first golf course in town.. it is still one of my favorites.. short 9 hole course with some real challenges.. worth playing just for the views.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

This old course has a lot of charm and history - the first golf course in St. George. It has an old home feel and you are definitely not on a country club - but be course will well cared for and a pleasure to play. Good course for kids.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

My husband is a golfer. I am not, so nine holes is great for me! This was a lovely course that had some nice challenges, yet not so many that I became frustrated. (Only one hole with water) My husband enjoyed this course too.