“There's No Place Like Home...Except Maybe, This Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Quicksand and Cactus Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. George
Quicksand and Cactus Bed & Breakfast
You added Quicksand and Cactus Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Ranked #2 of 9 St. George B&B and Inns
Salt Lake City, Utah
“There's No Place Like Home...Except Maybe, This Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

What a fabulous Bed & Breakfast! My husband and I had a wonderful stay in this beautiful historic home. It's so comfortable and cozy that we felt right at home. Carla is an incredibly gracious and thoughtful hostess. Her gourmet breakfast is positively delicious. Great location, within walking distance of St. George's downtown attractions. Rates are unbelievably reasonable. The home has a fascinating history and beautiful gardens. We really enjoyed our stay & will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BouvOnTheMove

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Ellicott City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I was attracted to Quicksand and Cactus B&B because it was the former home of well-known Utah author Juanita Brooks. My husband and I fell in love with the place because of the warm, friendly demeanor of Carla, our host, her delicious breakfasts, and the beautifully-decorated home. We stayed in the room that had served as the original home, and it is located just off to the side of the main living area. Carla has lots of books and information about Utah history in her home, and the entire house is decorated with Victorian era pictures, decorations, etc. Her breakfasts were delicious, and when she found out we (and several other guests) were "foodies", she tried out a couple of new recipes on us! We stayed there several days, using St George as our home port while exploring Zion, the Mountain Meadows Massacre site, and the Hildale/Colorado City area made famous by Warren Jeffs and his FLDS followers.

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool, but when I tried to correct my mistake (I was giving the place all positi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GroversMom
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We were in town for the St. George marathon in early October 2012. We were late in the game at setting up our lodging for the race. All of the chain hotels were full by the time we started looking. We stumbled across this nice little B&B. The location was just blocks from the finish line, the price was HALF of what we would have paid for a hotel, and the breakfast was amazing!

We stayed in Bedroom #2. It is the smallest of the 3 rooms available at the location, but it worked well for the two of us. Private entrance, private bathroom. Bed was pretty good. There was a nice TV in the room, but we never bothered to turn it on.

Breakfast on Sunday morning after the race was amazing! Carla, the owner, fixed us crepes stuffed with scrambled eggs and fresh asparagus and covered in cheese and a yummy sauce. Then she brought out some ham steaks, fresh sliced oranges and yogurt, and a warm chocolate muffin. Fresh coffee and orange juice finished off delicious breakfast. All the other guests had run the race the day before so it was fun to chat about our marathon experiences.

What a fun gem to discover in St. George and at an amazing price!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cameron B
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

My husband and I live in Las Vegas, and we wanted to take a trip for our anniversary. We didn't want to travel super far, but still wanted it to be special. We chose the Quicksand and Cactus in St. George because it was small, quiet, and had great reviews. It's prices also beat out the other B&B's in the area, and since we were on a budget, this was a consideration.

Carla was a very kind and accommodating host. Her breakfasts were huge and beautiful both mornings, with fresh fruit, waffles or french toast, an egg quiche, and meat. It was such a treat for us, and even my husband couldn't eat it all! :) We stayed in Room #1, which is part of the original brick house. The bed was comfortable and the room was decorated with all kinds of neat antiques. There was also a flat screen tv with lots of channels. The bathroom was spacious and also very cute. There is only a free-standing tub (no shower), but it had a flexible shower nozzle attachment for rinsing off.

The B&B was definitely very quiet, and it was in a very convenient location. Being on Main Street, we spent our first evening walking around and exploring all the unique shops, restaurants, and art that downtown St. George has to offer.

This was our first time in a bed and breakfast, and we had a very pleasant stay. I would stay at the Quicksand and Cactus again, and definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't forget the change of time zone! We forgot that Utah was an hour later and ended up arrivin...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank LVNativeJ
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We had the priviledge of staying with Carla at the Quicksand and Cactus while attending the Ironman St George in early May. Carla was gracious and accomodating, made us feel like part of the family. Our room was spacious, the bed comfortable, and the breakfast was delicious. We highly recommend the Quicksand and Cactus to travelers, golfers, and sightseers. It's a quiet and comfortable oasis.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lynnetta
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I was looking for a place to stay while in St. George for the Ironman triathlon that I was competing in on May 5, 2012. After calling numerous hotels and B&B's in the area, I came upon Quicksand and Cactus B&B while on the internet. The house was just up the street from downtown and a great location to all restaurants and festivities that would be going on that weekend. Nearly all other places were booked and I was surprised when Carla (owner/wonderful hostess) informed me that she still had a couple rooms available. I quickly reserved two rooms for my family and me, and what a good decision that was. The house is a couple of blocks from downtown, on a beautiful hill with a great view of the city. Our room was great, with a comfortable bed on the second floor and a wonderful soaking-tub on the bottom floor. With all my gear for the triathlon, the room was an ideal size. In terms of hospitality, Carla was fantastic; accommodating our weird schedule for meals and delicious food to boot. If you are heading to St. George and want to stay in a unique, historical and comfortable place, with a great hostess and delicious food, Quicksand is the only place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank William W
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

While searching for my best place to retire, I chose to stay a week at the Quicksand and Cactus B & B due to it walkability and access to the Saint George city bus stop (just down the hill from the B & B). Carla Fox ensured my stay was one of the most pleasant experiences of my research trip throughout the north western and south western states. When I flew into Saint George airport, my plane had been delayed in Salt Lake City several hours. It was almost 1 a..m. when I finally arrived, and Carla was there waiting for me. Breakfast was always delicious, with fresh fruit to start each day healthy. Carla, dressed in her black and white "uniform", prepared and served breakfast in a 5 star manner. Throughout my stay at Quicksand, Carla went above and beyond in kindness and professionalism. Although I did not find my retirement destination in Saint George, I do recommend her B & B with compete confidence. Currently, I am in Boise, Idaho, but I will always credit Carla with wonderful memories of my time in Utah.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo