“I Love Bella's.”

Bella Marie's Pizzeria
Ranked #13 of 248 Restaurants in St. George
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: Makes Homemade/Made from-scratch Italian food and Authentic NY thin crust brick-oven Pizzas, using Healthy Pizza Flour and NO Msg, Preservatives and Chemicals in our Food Prep.
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I'm a local here and I can tell you, my husband and I Love this place. Food, atmosphere, you name it, bella's is awesome!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband and I expected amazing things since the rating is so high on Trip Advisor. The food was definitely average, but good. The crust was excellent. The manager stopped at everyone's table and chatted for 5 minutes, which I found annoying. Just let me eat a meal in peace! When we finished, the waitress pointed out that we must have enjoyed the pizza because we ate the entire thing, and to please write a review. It was average. I'm embarrassed to say that we were gluttons, and that's why the whole pizza was eaten! I'm wondering if the high rating is due to 1) encouraging people to actually write reviews, or 2) a lack of other good options in St. George.

1  Thank NHgoodwin
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I've never written a Trip Advisor review before and have never taken to an online forum to complain... however, after eating at Bella Marie's based on TA reviews and then enduring the most bizarre restaurant experience of my life, I had to make an exception. I hope it will help the management improve. In the meantime, you have been warned!

I visited over President's day weekend with a group of six couples and a baby. We made a reservation several hours in advance to make sure they could accommodate such a large party. We arrived four minutes late four our reservation and had our first experience with "Marie" (assuming that was who was addressing us, as she never introduced herself and was not wearing a name tag). Marie started with a not-very-welcoming "Five more minutes and we were going to give your table away! You are lucky you made it in time!" With only a few chairs at the table she said she would find some chairs... after five minutes of waiting we went and found our own chairs.

The server, who was friendly, was prompt about bringing menus and we placed our pizza orders. Soon, Marie arrived again and asked how we found out about the restaurant. "Trip Advisor? Oh! You'd better lower your expectations!" I had never been asked to lower my expectations by a restaurant owner, but we certainly wish we had followed her advice. Our server returned to let us know that our pizzas would take 35 to 40 minutes... fine, we smiled politely and ordered appetizers (garlic cheese bread that was only palatable because we were so hungry by this point.)

Marie returned a third time for a lengthy explanation about why our pizzas were taking so long. We again cordially responded. The plates arrived for our bread and the server explained that they were out of plates so we would need to save these to use with our pizza. The plates were about four inches in diameter with a steep scalloped edge. After an hour of waiting, our pizza finally arrived. My friend served himself pizza first and the plate would not hold even half of the slice! I insisted that the server find some other option, and she managed to find some metal pizza pans that they use to bake the pizzas with to eat off of. We were fine with that! Then I asked for a few extra sets of silverware, as there had only been eight on the table when we arrived and the alfredo pizza was rather soupy. "Oh, we're out of silverware." Was the reply. No explanation or solution. "Um, are you sure, you don't have any you could wash?" "No, sorry, we are out." And that was that. My husband and I shared a fork, alternating between bites.

Marie returned again and asked how everything was. At this point we were a bit exasperated, and so our friend let her know that we enjoyed the pizza but the wait was really long and we would have loved if we hadn't had to repeatedly ask for plates. Marie then delved into an exhaustingly long explanation that completely evaded all responsibility. "Well, your reservation was so late (it was 7:30) and our pizza is so fresh that how do you expect us to serve so many people at once with one oven, we had to turn others away because of your big reservation and tell people not to order pizza, if you had ordered pasta or one of our other menu items we would not have taken so long, it's Parade of Homes and the holiday weekend and soccer tournaments so we are really busy" and on and on and on. If we had ordered pasta, you wouldn't have had forks or plates for us to eat off of!!! Then, a few minutes after her rampage, Marie returned to say "I talked to your server about bringing out those small plates, that is unacceptable." Thank you, Marie, for making us feel guilty about giving honest feedback. Instead of lecturing us about showing a few minutes late to our reservation and spending so much time making excuses for the long wait time and lack of basic restaurant supplies, how about you go back in the kitchen and wash some plates and forks!

You can see from the way the management has responded to other low-rated reviews on trip advisor the defensiveness I am talking about. I really do like to see new, local restaurants do well. But if the management is not going to accept basic responsibility in person, I hope they will make some changes when they have it in writing.

3  Thank gge6
bellamaries, Owner at Bella Marie's Pizzeria, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Hi Gail. Bella Marie's made its goal to provide the best service ever. That was the reason why Marie has to often check on you and everyone's table to make sure that is met. You certainly knew that was a very busy weekend for you to make the reservation ahead of time. When you came at least 10-15 min late, Marie was surprised you arrived even without calling if you're coming or just running a little late because we had so many guests waiting to sit down even at your reserved table that you didnt show up on time which the owner was ready to give it to those who were patiently waiting for at least 30 minutes. This was a lesson to our management that we shouldnt have waited for a big reservation on a very busy night who come late if we wouldnt have to be very unfair to others waiting for at least 30 min . As you have seen that night, all the staffs were crazy sitting and cleaning tables and serving; and by that, you should have an idea that it would be easy for you and for everyone to find something not perfect as it should be. We tried our very best to help everyone as much as we could. As to the management, everyone knows to help each other in any department who needs help. Saying that, the mngment wasnt aware about your fork and plate issues until Marie made her rounds on your table. Tho it was upsetting that the server never asked for help from anyone as everyone did on that night, Marie tried to resolve that issue by calling the atttention of the server and making you aware that wasnt acceptable as Marie mentioned to you, so you'll be fine and making sure your issues were addressed immediately even on that busy night right there and then. Those other pizza plates you claimed as quoted, " metal pizza pans that they use to bake the pizzas with to eat off of" were INDEED PIZZA PLATES used for lunch and not metal pans for cooking. All our pizzas are brick-oven baked that are all cooked sitting directly on brick stones AND NEVER ON METAL PANS!, thus giving the bottom of the crust dark brown as opposed to light color. Re: the alfredo pizza you said was rather soupy, everyone except you, very much liked it because its made from scratch, and not soupy but rather light as opposed to thick, and very fat-rich alfredo sauce. We do understand that with your huge group and with the baby with you, you might be too hungry and wished to have your food come out not longer than you expected on that very busy full and packed night. Seemed like you misunderstood a lot of things that happend. Not only your table but all tables esp those who came late like your huge group were reminded that other than pizza, we have other items like our ITalian pasta-our other specialty, to make our guests aware of another option in case pizzas took more serving time. It 's the mngment's responsibility to let guests know that (thru the server) so they didnt have to wait longer for pizzas, if hungry. Guests come to the restaurant thinking that as "Pizzeria," we only specialize in pizzas (that are each made from scratch and to order,) when Pizzeria means "More than just Pizzas." Marie during rounds,made sure those were mentioned in case that info was overlooked to give our guests options esp if "time & getting hungry" are of concern; which could affect the service. When you mentioned, "how about you go back in the kitchen and wash some plates and forks instead of excuses,!" THAT'S VERY CORRECT. ONLY THAT would be POSSIBLE IF SERVERS COMMUNICATED W/ EVERYONE AND to MARIE AND THE OWNERS IN ORDER TO HELP EACH OTHER AS NEEDED WHEN THAT ARISES; AS EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE WORKFORCE THAT NIGHT DID IT, except for your server, that's why she was made aware of the issues so it cant be repeated again. Washing plates is very easy as you saw that Marie was even busy helping clean tables to help all guests seated who refuse to leave and just would like to wait for our great food!!!-to checking on everyone to make sure service was provided the best! Consequently, hope you and evryone wouldnt take the interaction as negative but rather, positive and constructive and informative to better understand our goals and good intentions and to resolve concerns immediately as they arise for the sake of evryone and all, and not just a part or a specific group.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Got a small pizza which is adequate for 2 people. Flavorful sauce, not the typical pizza sauce, simply delightful.

Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely wonderful! Bella Marie was recommended by a professional athlete who needs to eat healthy and fresh for training. We had a fantastic meal with 10 friends. Everyone's meal was cooked to perfection, we didn't leave a crumb. Marie came out to greet our table. My son and I went back for lunch the next day. The dishes are unique, moderately priced and absolutely delicious. Service is great too!