“Nice enough...What's the fuss?”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #32 of 42 Hotels in St. George
Reviewed May 21, 2009

I was just looking for a place to lay over for business for a couple of nights, nothing fancy. The EconoLodge exceded my price and quality expectations. I had a clean, quiet room, microwave, fridge & TV, clean bathroom with newer fixtures and tile, and working air. I also had free wifi, which was a real plus.
I asked other guests at breakfast what they thought and all said they were satisfied with their rooms, especially for the price.
I will not hesitate to stay here on future trips to St. George.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed July 2, 2008

I stayed in the St. George Econolodge this monday night and was extremely unhappy with the experience. We had booked one of there cheaper king bed suites, and when we showed up they said nothing, but gave us a completely differnt type of room. When I called the front desk to find out why, they moved us to another room, both rooms were horrible. So I went back to reception to check out. Then suddenly the room we had booked became available.

Next morning I wend down to have breakfast at 9:30. Breakfest was posted from 7-10. The women at the counter told me is breakfast is over. I am a late sleeper, and set my alarm so that I would be able to have breakfast. I was very dispointed with Econolodge. I am a local to the area, and this was my third and last stay at econolodge.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2008

After a spur-of-the-moment decision to see Zion National Park the last week of February 2008, I chose the EconoLodge because it was rated "17" out of "63" hotels in St. George on TripAdvisor that week. What a disappointment. "Econo-dump" is more like it. There are A LOT of hotels in St. George, and I cannot imagine why this was way up there in popularity unless other hotels/motels in the area are simply untried.

The first thing that hit me was the fact that when I arrived--as well as when I left--there was NO ONE at the front desk. Then, once I DID check in, I found the smell of the room appalling. Ah, the dank, pungent aroma of carpet funk--years and years of visitors' shoes covered in red soil ground into the floors FOR EONS. Yes, the place seemed that old, not to mention that it was not particularly clean. Thank god I had brought my air freshener. I was even considering putting earplugs up my nose . . .

There was something crusted on the outside of the dresser drawers, and the insides contained bits of earth of the hiking variety. The blanket was stained. Was there hot water? Of course not. And the bed was like sleeping on a pile of squashed cantaloupes. I stayed there one night, spent the next day at the park and returned to St. George, exhausted, and decided to try a Best Western up the road. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Not only were the front desk personnel present and accounted for, but extremely gracious and understanding. Perhaps because I was a single woman traveling alone, or just because she was simply kind--or because prices at most places were going to nearly double the first week in March--the young lady at the desk gave me a discount because she said I "look[ed] really tired."

Travelers beware: don't be taken in by a low price and a "free continental breakfast." Be prepared to spend just a litle more. It can make all the difference in the world.

Reviewed September 12, 2007

Stayed here a couple of times on our recent vacation and found it comfortable. First room needed updating but second room was a lot better. Pool was excellent and quite. Breakfast wasn't much but what do you expect for the price.

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed June 28, 2007

Great deal. Clean, good beds, fridge & microwave--great for canyon outings. Tub and counter could use remodeling, but for $50, who can complain? Desk attendant was very helpful when I needed an iron and ironing board, though the board was one of those tabletop things--I ended up ironing on the bed. Note from housekeeping asking for tips was tacky. Waffles available for breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cinzian
Reviewed April 27, 2007

This is one of the better Econo Lodges in which we have stayed. We stayed for two nights, and then stubsequently for an additional night.

The rooms were decent sized and seemed to be clean. (Not Class A clean room clean, but average motel clean.) The beds were relatively comfortable, the linens OK, and the towels somewhat worn but clean. The air conditioning worked, as did the free wireless internet connection.

The bathrooms were adequate, although water pressure could be a little bit better. (It wasn't terrible, but could use a boost.)

The front desk was helpful when needed, and the continental breakfast (juice, coffee, bagels or doughnuts, waffles) adequate.

This is not the Ritz Carlton. It doesn't pretend to be. It is, however, very well priced in a very competitive town. (There are other cheaper motels nearby, but the reviews were terrible!) If you need a clean place to stay for a few days, you could do considerably worse.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank arnieman
Reviewed August 8, 2006

I really liked this Econo Lodge. As a caveat, I must say I'm not one to demand a lot from a motel/hotel. Ninety-nine percent of the time I pay for overnight lodging, I'm just breezing through, and price is the main factor. Bearing that in mind, I found this Econo Lodge to greatly exceed my expectations. The room was large and clean. The internet was blazingly fast and convenient. On top of that, they had a continental breakfast that actually fills you up, and, unlike most other motels, it did not merit the title "breakfast" merely because a few scraps were placed out for a fleeting few moments that were technically edible. Ooh no, they actually had full bins of cereal mills and a fridge full of milk. You didn't have the hassle of opening little packaged boxes either. All you had to do was turn the mill and take as much as you could eat. I did not take advantage of this, seeing as how I stay in shape and don't like to be a greedy opportunist. However, I did actually leave with a full belly and a healthy meal. So, for anyone similarly coming from West Hollywood/Los Angeles on their way to hike in the Zion Canyon / Bryce Canyon area and looking for a convenient overnight stop, this place is a great deal! A+

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo