“So much potential.... Disappointed”

TownePlace Suites St. George
Ranked #23 of 43 Hotels in St. George
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We booked our rooms for 4 nights on Hotel.com. Great service, until we arrived at the hotel. I had a few questions about where to eat, but I had to wait while the desk clerk was on the phone.."OMG no way....." conversation. Finally gave up. That night was the worst night of sleep I have ever had. Friends of our stayed in Motel 6 said their bed was more comfortable than ours. (More than half the price per night). I discussed it with the morning desk clerk and his comment blew me away.. "Wow you must have a very expensive bed at home." Great customer service! Put the blame on me? My wife and I were so sore and had such severe headaches from our great night sleep we were limited on what we were able to do. Nice way to spend nearly $800. Only one person said they were sorry, if we wanted to try another room we could but all the beds were about the same. At least she offered and tried. When we checked out there was a $100 pet charge on our bill, except we did not have a pet. I asked for it to be removed and was told I would have to wait a few days until the asst manager could reverse the charges. That was upsetting, he should have had the authority to make it right before we left. It wasn't our fault for their mistake and to ask us to trust them they will take care of it later doesn't work. I know my customers would never accept that. In the end the Asst manager did call and clear it up, he was very nice about it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ron B

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have stayed in a ton of hotels this year, and this property is above and beyond - my favorite. The hotel is new, modern-looking and has more amenities than higher-priced hotels I've stayed in.

The rooms feature kitchens with microwaves, full-size refrigerators and stove-tops (unheard of, unless you're in a condo/resort). Rooms have ample seating and workspace, in addition to the kitchen and sleeping area - and there is plenty of storage (cabinets) for your stuff. My only complaint was the awkward placement of the closet - inside the bathroom and blocked by the door when it's open.

The beds are beyond comfortable - and I have a bad back, so that's not a statement I make very often.

The hallways are bright and clean; common areas are well kept and nicely decorated. The fitness area is large and offers an elliptical, treadmills and free weights in a bright - and somewhat hidden - corner of the hotel. (I hate working out in front of other guests passing through the hallways, so this was perfect for people like me.)

The parking lot is well-lit and large enough to accommodate guests' cars. The grounds are landscaped beautifully - and the outdoor pool/hottub area is very nice - built into the side of the adjacent hill.

I can't say enough about this fresh-looking property. I wish all of my hotel stays were so wonderful!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 23, 2012

...well, in the moderately priced Marriott range that is. Newer and modern. This place has everything you need for an extended stay - stove, full sized microwave, large fridge, dishes, pots, flatware, etc. Admittedly, the rooms are a bit on the small size - great for a couple, cramped for a family if you're staying more than one night. We had a king suite. We have also stayed at the Courtyard next door, and we liked the T.P.S. better. We usually stop for just one night in St G. on our way to either Cali or AZ. Love the biscuits and gravy for breakfast. Nice pool, everything is clean, beds were comfortable, nice bathroom, although no fan?? Quiet A/C, great little dog area. Easy fwy access. Tons of stuff nearby for dining, shopping, etc. hide-a-bed is the typical thin uncomfortable matress that works great for our kids, but not recommended for adults. We will likely stay here everytime we drive through from now on.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We spend a lot of time in Marriott Properties and we travel with our pet Austrailian Shepherd. We were at this location for three weeks which is pet friendly. They took outstanding care of our needs as well as those of our pet. The rooms were in excellent condition and maintained that way throughout our stay. We had the opportunity to see how a room was cleaned after a customer checked out where that customer had a pet. The carpet was steamed cleaned, all bending was changed completely which included the mattress cover. The staff is very friendly and knowledgable. This is one of those places you look forward to returning to. We would recommend this property to anyone in the area with or without a pet and know we would not regret the recommendation. Breakfast was excellent.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Our home away from home when my husband works in St. George for business. We will take our two kids and stay in one of their 2 bedroom suites, and it is fabulous. Their outdoor pool is our favorite. It is beautiful and scenic nestled up against the red rock cliffs. There is also a fun waterfall ledge, and a very big circular hot tub. Staff and front desk are always so nice and helpful. Breakfast is provided in the lobby with a nice assortment. We always look forward to our stay here!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This was the smallest "suite" I have stayed in. The room featured a king bed, couch that pulled out to a double, "full kitchen" and bathroom. The bedding was sub par for a Marriott, or any other hotel that wants $180/ night. The couch had stains on the upholstery and when folded out actually hit the foot of the bed. There was no room to move at all with the bed folded out. Bathroom was also tiny and cramped. Vanity was marble, but so small there was no room for curling iron or makeup bag. Toilet seat had multiple scratches and scuffs, it was probably clean, but prompted one to look for a seat liner before sitting. Kitchen was nice feature, but true to form lacked space to make it practical. Breakfast offered a limited selection in a cramped seating area. I had to stand with my kids to eat my bagel and bannana due to lack of seating. Location is in popular shopping area, near many restaurants, but it is also near the helipad of Dixie regional hospital, so helicopter noise is an issue. I did love the pool, which is a priority when traveling with kids. Nice size, beautiful landscaping. Quite relaxing as long as the trauma chopper isn't buzzing over. The 42" lg LCD TV was a nice touch. And I loved the complimentary Wall St Journals. This would be a nice place to stay for a single or couple, but a one or two bedroom suite would be better if you are traveling with kids. The price is definitely an issue. If rooms are available, save half and get a bigger room at the higher rated abbey inn.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed three nights here to do Zion National Park. What an amazing place St George is? It reminded us of our trip last year to Sedona. We didn't have a reservation and staff were very helpful upon checkin. Rooms were quite large and had a kitchenette which was great travelling with a 5 year old. Breakfast was not up to Marriott standard but would certainly stay here again. Our 5 year old loved the pool area. Hotel itself is extremely clean and tidy. Staff take pride in their facility. My only grip would be the pillows are small and for a child not for an adult. Would recommend to family and friends.

Room Tip: We had a back room and had no noise. The location is off the main road so I think all rooms would b...