“Good Fresh Chinese Food”
Review of South China

South China
Ranked #6 of 41 Restaurants in Richfield
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 27, 2014

LaNeil recommended me to this restaurant from Holiday Inn, nice touch with the 10% off my meal.. But the food was just sweet and tangy with a little bit of spice.. Loved it.. The waitress was wonderful to entertain an old man like myself..

Reviewed August 22, 2014

A real surprise here in little Richfield. Good fresh,tasting Chinese food. My daughter and I could have easily shared a dinner combo ( excellent hearty egg drop, ham fried rice, egg roll or wanton, sour pork or chicken plus your entree choice ) service was good, but ambiance was zero (they do need some color; the neutral plastic booths should be orange like in my childhood :). Only real down side was the empty table next to us sat uncleared from previous customers all through dinner.... They weren't that busy. Good food and a glass of box wine was the point on this inexpensive outing.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

We were coming back home from a vacation trip in Colorado. Richfield was the first "large" town after 120 miles of "No service" exits on I-70. So, we were determined to get off for some lunch.

South China is rated well on TripAdvisor, so we stopped. As we pulled into the parking lot, I remembered that we had eaten here several years before. Interesting to compare the meals.

We both ordered from the Chinese side of the menu. My wife chose the Chicken with Vegetables, WonTons, egg drop soup, and fried rice. She told me it was flavorful and the vegetables were appealing. No complaints with her meal.

I generally rate Chinese places by the Hot and Sour Soup and the General Tsao's Chicken. I had those, steamed rice, and an egg roll. The egg roll came with a side dish of sweet and sour sauce with a collection of mustard sauce in the middle of it. The point is to mix the mustard sauce with the sweet and sour to "taste." My first taste hit me like a ton of bricks. I had not gotten all of the mustard sauce off of the fork. Long story short, immediately watering eyes, head shaking, etc. It passed quickly, but I learned my lesson!

The hot and sour soup had a thick base that was appreciated. Not too much vinegar and not much red pepper flakes. On the whole, it was flavored perfectly but just a little lacking on the spiciness. The General's chicken was much the same. The menu has a hot pepper by it, but the menu also has "mild brown sauce" as part of the description. The sauce tasted great, but there was very little punch to the General. I found some red pepper flakes in the sauce and one pod. Very mild. If you want a "hot and spicy" entree, this wouldn't be it.

Service was wonderful. I saw some familiar faces among the wait staff. That generally says a lot about a restaurant that keeps wait staff for several years without much turnover.

Yes, we would stop here again. For the two meals and one soda, the total was still under $20.00. Can't ask for better than that.

2  Thank GeneW_Provo
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

We don't usually pick Chinese on vacation but it looked busy so must be good, right. It was. Our 13,11 year olds loved our waiter. Great guy! They have American food as well. Decent prices. Great taste. Clean. Kids wanted to go back!

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

We ate from the Chinese side of the menu. The mains were cheaper than we expected but it was still tasty and the portion sizes were generous. We ordered 2 dishes between the 2 of us and there was still a fair amount of leftovers which they offered to box up to take with us.

3  Thank EpicBeeRock