“Save your money for a nicer place!”
Review of El Gallo Giro

El Gallo Giro
Ranked #37 of 321 Restaurants in Provo
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 1, 2013

RUDE MANAGEMENT! My husband and I went to El Gallo Giro for the first time a couple of days ago. I had heard some good comments about the food so we decided to give it a shot. it was a DISAPPOINTMENT! I was born and raised in Mexico and I can tell you that the food is nowhere close to authentic. When we were deciding what to order, my husband asked the cashier (who also happened to be the person in charge of the place) what the difference was between two burritos on the menu; the cashier looked at him as if he was an idiot and told him "You tell me!" how RUDE!! we were asking a simple question, expecting a simple answer. The cashier noticed that I was getting upset and tried to play nice and told my husband "Well, I don't know where you are from, but where I'm from, I'm from DF, we make blah blah blah". I wanted to leave but my husband being the nice guy that he is decided to stay and still give it a try.
He ordered a carne asada burrito and I order a pambazo. His burrito was basically all beans and rice with almost no meat. My pambazo was more bread than anything.
Will we ever go back? HECK NO! Will I recommend this place to friends, acquaintances or strangers that ask my opinion? HECK NO!

Are there better options for mexican food round? YES! Try "Maria Bonita" (excellent service and food, on 800 N and State Street in Orem). If you are willing to drive some, there is an awesome new mexican restaurant in Sandy called "Los Cucos" (Awesome fajitas and enchiladas among other things) and another great place called "Red Iguana" in Salt Lake City.

6  Thank Raquel P

Reviewed December 11, 2012

If you are looking for authentic Mexican fare at a reasonable price, this is your place! The salsa's are wonderful and fresh (try the green from the fresh salsa bar), the tacos are made right (with corn tortillas), the Tacos Mr Joe are first on the menu for a reason - just order them, the traditional Mexican soup is excellent and authentic (I forget what it is called), the enchillada sauce is fantastic and the fruit drinks (included with many meals) are a nice value-added touch that most other places charge extra for. With complimentary chips and salsa, this is one of the best meals for the money anywhere in the valley.

Don't hesitate to experiment with different dishes - it is safe to do so here. I have never had anything that wasn't well executed. Also, don't mind the negative reviews. We have gone probably once a month since late summer and the service has been fantastic (those who want to share a free drink on what is already one of the best values in town - $6.99 for a dinner, drink included! - are being disrespectful to the owners who are quite generous with portion sizes and great prices on their meals. The owners have to make SOMETHING for all their hard work.)

The atmosphere is very casual. This is a great place to go before a movie, a ball game, or just a night out. You may have to wait a few minutes for your meal because they prepare each plate fresh, but they bring the meals as they are done (no placing them under a heat lamp!). Ocassionally they have brought a small dessert to share at no charge. Please don't forget to leave the servers a tip for their gracious service - they have always deserved it while we were there.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is a taqueria where you order at the counter, then they bring your food over. The prices are reasonable, and the food delicious. Dinner for two, with sodas, cost 16.00. I had a combo plate with a chilli relleno and a tamale. The rice and chilli relleno were good, nothing outstanding, but good. The beans were very very good, and the tamale....well, after every bite I would say "This tamale is so good." Seriously. The masa was fluffy and tender, the pork filling perfectly seasoned. If I find myself in Provo again, I will definitely pay this place another visit!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Good authentic Mexican food at a good price! It has a nice look to the interior but is nice and low-key. Service is friendly and helpful.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

We were looking for a new place to try in the downtown area and found this restaurant online. So we gave it a try. The customer service was excellent, very friendly right from the start and through our entire experience. Our food came out quickly and was hot & fresh. The tastes were amazing. I would highly recommend the chicken enchilada it was to die for. OVER ALL, the entire atmosphere was enjoyable and nice to try something new. We will for sure be returning as well as recommending this restaurant to others.

Thank you for the wonderful Lunch!