“Excellent food and service! Loved our lunch!”
Review of The Banana Leaf Restaurant - CLOSED

The Banana Leaf Restaurant
Cuisines: Asian, American, International, Thai, Sri Lankan
Good for: Families with children
St. George, Utah
“Excellent food and service! Loved our lunch!”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

My son and I recently at here and completely enjoyed our lunch. We shared coconut curry and chicken tikka masala. It was delicious. Even the avocado shake with whipped cream and chocolate was tasty. The lunch was served promptly and the service was excellent. They even chased me to my car when I left my credit card behind! I highly recommend, especially if you enjoy Indian food.

• Visited January 2014

Provo, Utah
“Practically Indian Food”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I really like Banana Leaf, they are family owned and extremely welcoming. However, I expected Sri Lankan and Singaporean food to be something new. It was basically just Indian food, which makes sense, but was a bit disappointing. The quality and flavor was top notch. The restaurant seems to be converted from an old victorian era home. Great decor and mood. I rate them high mainly due to the overall experience.

Visited April 2013
Redlands, California
“A Disappointment”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

My wife and brother and sister-in-law were touting this as the best restaurant in Provo. So we took a family group over the holiday weekend eager to try it. The outside of the building stands out, with its bright colors, and the inside does as well, with many (presumably) Sri Lankan decorations, including elephant statues and Indian type pictures (Sri Lanka is an island south of India). So the setting itself is unusual and fun.

We ordered the Magical Condatum (#18) which feeds 4 to 6 people and is a sampling of many of their dishes, Malaysian Laksa (#4), basically a noodle and curry dish, and Sri Lankan chicken kothu (#8). We were generally quite disappointed with the food. My son-in-law pointed out that the vegetables in a shrimp dish were frozen vegetables and the meat was over-cooked and chewy (shrimp, salmon, beef and chicken). For example, I quite liked the flavor of the Malay Beef, quite spicy, but the beef was very, very chewy. The salmon with the Malaysia Laksa was stiff, with very little moisture, some of the most unappetizing salmon I've ever eaten.

My wife was quite embarrassed afterwards, having touted it so highly. I may be willing to try it again, I love the setting and the dish combinations sounded great. We may have caught the cook on a bad day, or a different cook. But on this day, it certainly did not live up to the word-of-mouth that brought us in.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Robert C
Havre MT
“Delicious food”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife and I actually were going to try the Indian restaurant nearby that was listed numer one of trip advisor. They were closed so we found this restaurant just down the street and decided to eat there. Lovely atmosphere--rather elegant. Service was fine and very polite and helpful. Enjoyed our food (we had lunch specials at a very reasonable price). I had a chicken chili dish that was actually quite mild. My wife opted for the yellow curried chicken and ireally enjoyed it. We also had an avocado shake for our desert that was wonderful and unique. We were not at all disappointed that we missed dining at are intended restaurant.

• Visited October 2013
Spokane, Washington
“GAG!”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

GAG, That is all I can say. My husband and I were starving and decided to give this place a try and boy were we sorry.
The food was obviously pre-made. It took them a total of 8 minutes to bring our food out and it tasted like it. It was like eating the worst frozen TV dinners we had ever had! Just disgusting! Both meals consisted of a huge pile of rice and a tiny bit of meat with soggy frozen veggies and the most revolting sauces you could ever imagine! This place wont be around long. Save your money and go buy a $2.99 microwave meal.

• Visited October 2013