“Great hotel for conferences and meetings” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Provo Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Provo Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Provo
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great hotel for conferences and meetings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I have attended meetings at this hotel twice this summer, and overall, I have been impressed with the staff and conference facilities.

The lunches each day were QUITE good. The food was delicious, and it was always served hot. Food was always promptly replenished. Afternoon snacks were also good and plentiful.

Morning breakfasts were often a bit disappointing. Even when the food was just put out, for several days in a row it was not hot - and barely warm at times. I know buffets are difficult to keep hot, but if they can do it for lunch, they should also be able to do it for breakfast. That would be my only recommendation - serve (and keep) hot the breakfast!

(Note: I did not actually stay at this hotel, so my reviews are based only on the meeting and banquet services provided.)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
gmprovomarriott, General Manager at Provo Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Thanks you for your comments and I'm pleased to hear that generally the conference experience was positive. I have spoken to the kitchen and banquet staff concerning the breakfast food temperature and we will monitor it much closer. Thank you for your business and we look forward to your return
John Garfield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We stayed in the Provo Marriott for a week in August. I found the front desk staff very helpful.

The rooms are typical Marriott rooms, with typical décor. The carpet is showing some age, but otherwise the room was very clean and in very good condition. The closet and sink area were both quite large. We had a room with 2 double beds and expected to have a tub/shower. We were pleasantly surprised to have a walk in shower without a tub. The room with the shower and toilet was quite small and the door would not open well with the bath mat out.

Our room was on the 9th floor and was very quiet!

It was nice that the hotel had complementary, covered parking. It had a multi-level parking garage. The garage is a little tight for large vehicles such as a full size truck, but not unworkable.

We enjoyed breakfast both in the restaurant and in the concierge lounge. Both breakfast locations had good food and excellent service. In the evening, we enjoyed the cookies in the concierge lounge.

One evening we ordered room service for dinner. Our meals came in about 25 minutes and were delivered by the most friendly Marriott employee, Mila. The food was warm and delicious!

The hotel has 2 washing machines and 3 dryers for guests to do laundry. A wash is $1.50 and a dry is $1.25 - and at the end of the dryer cycle the clothes were dry!

Near the main lobby, there are 2 computers for guests to use. You can even print what you need with the first 20 copies free.

The hotel is located in central Provo. I only wish that we had had the time to walk the area and try some of the nearby restaurants.

If back in Provo, would definitely at this Marriott location again!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
gmprovomarriott, General Manager at Provo Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you for the comments and the detailed review of the Provo Marriott. I believe you were very accurate with your description and I'm glad to hear that you had a nice stay the hotel. I appreciate the business and hope that when you visit Provo again that you will stay with us again. Again, thank you for the review.
Brookfield, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Front desk staff was curt and surly. First room assigned, the tv wouldn't receive ABC or NBC. Second was the same. Only the a/c did not work at all. Third room, still no NBC or CBS. Front desk staff now intimating that I had something to do with causing these glitches, saying " You will probably do the same thing to another room". Can you imagine hotel staff talking to you like that? Rooms were worn and looked less than clean. I am guessing that the front desk staff was punishing me for asking for a room with a working tv and a/c. I left several messages at the front desk for the hotel manager. I don't think that he got them. Finally, the manager talks to me and apologizes, but offers nothing for the experience. It is unlikely that I will stay at a Marriott property for a very long time. Pam

Room Tip: Look at the room prior to getting assigned to it to ensure that it is up to standard.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
gmprovomarriott, General Manager at Provo Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Pam,
Thank you for your comments and I apologize for what you experienced at the hotel. To your point this was uncharacteristic and not the level of service you would expect at a Marriott hotel. Especially the manner the front desk handled the situation. I've spoken to those involved and I'm confident that we have corrected the situation. Again, I apologize for what you experience.
St. George, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

The good:
*Front desk crew - polite, pleasant, helpful
*On-site bar - great atmosphere, delicious gin/basil drink
*On-site restaurant - good food, but they're pretty one-note when it comes to gluten-free needs

The bad:
*Location, location, location - I walked at least 4 miles each day for 4 days, and went in all 4 compass directions. There really isn't a "pretty" part of Provo, unless it's up near BYU. It just felt like urban blight has taken over this city. I didn't feel particularly threatened, but for a conference center, I expect better.
*Run-down rooms and stairways - stained and fraying carpet in the room, and the stairwells have concrete steps, like you'd see outside. The cigarette butts and empty bottles of beer didn't help those stairs, either.

The ugly:
*Housekeeping - I'm not sure my room was actually cleaned a couple of times. The bed was made and towels replaced (although I requested them to be kept), but the floor was dirty the first 3 days I was there. A t-shirt from a previous lodger lay crumpled by the window - and was never removed. There was something on the shower curtain - toothpaste? shaving cream? - that took until the 4th day (out of 5) to be replaced. The drinking glasses were only replaced once during my stay. (This begs the question: Do you complain about housekeeping and run the risk of the service being even worse as payback?)
*The noise - I understand doors "latching" - but holy heck, this place was LOUD! I'm really glad I had my earplugs with me; the slamming was horrifically disruptive.

If you can find any other place to stay in Provo, I'd recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
gmprovomarriott, General Manager at Provo Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
First, thank you for commenting on the hotel. I'm glad to hear that though we should have been much better in housekeeping and other areas that the staff was polite, pleasant and helpful. I will be taking your comments and using them as a training tool for the staff as your experience was unacceptable. We work hard to make every guest experience positive one but it was obvious that we need to make sure it is more consistent. It is comments like yours that help us become a better hotel and really focus on a particular area.
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

It's nice, convenient, clean, and comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the breakfast is great. We only stayed there overnight (with a LATE check in), but it was great. Would definitely recommend. The bathroom in our room had some worn wallpaper and wear and tear on the door, and the prices were pretty high, but it was great, overall.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Location
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This Marriott isn't a full 5 star experience but significantly better than 4 stars. The staff were exceptional, friendly and accommodating. Want a refrigerator? Just ask. They were fully engaged to make our stay the best, from check-in to check- out. The hotel has a very large outdoor pool and a smaller one indoors with a spa. The lobby was huge with lots of chairs and couches. They even had two large urns with cold fruited water at all times. The rooms were spacious and well appointed, plus impeccably clean. The 3 of us and two visitors sat in one room and chatted comfortably. There was a large desk, easy chair and ottoman. The beds were good. The concierge lounge was very nice and the two staff people there were friendly and engaging. When the lounge was closed we had a complimentary Continental breakfast available in the restaurant. For a whopping $2 it could be updated to a full buffet with an omelet bar.

If we had a complaint it was the lack of a bathtub in both our rooms. Other rooms must have them so ask first. The shower was large but the area outside it which included the toilet was very small. But this was a minor, minor detail.

Location is excellent for accessing downtown Provo as well as the interstate. Free covered parking!

Room Tip: If you want a tub, check first. Some rooms have a lake view, some mountain view, pick your preferenc...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Stayed here during a conference, which was conducted right across the street in the new convention center. Nice hotel, friendly staff. Unfortunately, the restaurant dos not open until 6:30 am, so if you are looking for breakfast prior to a 7:00 am meeting, then you are stuck with the crappy Starbucks counter offerings - and they ARE crappy. Venture out a bit earlier and take a walk down the street for coffee and pastry/breakfast if you don't have time to wait for the restaurant to open.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business