“avoid this place like the plague!!!”

Residence Inn Provo
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Provo
Reviewed September 5, 2008

I had a credit card guaranteed reservation and had confirmed with the hotel staff to get a room on the upper floor. When I arrived at 9pm, I was informed there was only one room available on the second floor. With nowhere to go, I accepted the only room available. When I entered the room, it had not been cleaned. The room stank like cleaner because three buckets of pine sol (or some other hideous smelling cleaner) were sitting in the kitchen, bathroom, and shower. The bed was unmade. The toilet was unflushed! When I attempted to check out, the deadpan girl at the front desk insisted she would have to charge me for the room!! I argued with her and requested she call the manager who was not in the hotel. They finally allowed me to leave without paying!!! They did nothing to find me another accomodation. I will never stay at this hotel again. When I complained to Marriott, they tried to work something out to make me happy. But the manager of this hotel, C. Chapple, dragged his feet for 5 months!!!! I guess he never wanted me to forget him.........

• Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank ab357
GMPROVORESINN, General Manager at Residence Inn Provo, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2010

Dear Valued Guest, I again want to apologize for the room we checked you into. It was not guest ready, and for that I apologize. As you recall, we did offer to pay for your stay at another property for the evening. I hope you appreciate the Reward Points we purchased for you to allow you to Stay for Free at another Property. I want to sincerely apologize for the inconvience and wanted to give you my number if I can provide any assistance in the future. Thank you, Casey Chapple 801-374-1000

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Provo

Reviewed August 9, 2008

We stayed for three nights with our 4 kids in their 2 bedroom suite and after the second night we were forgotten for room service. The staff response - SORRY! We had to request towels, trash bags, and dish soap to ready the room for the night. Also, they did not seem to have enough food and drink stuff for the morning crowd which was at the Hotel. They ran out of chocolate milk and juice for the kids. The iron did not work and we had to wait almost an hour for a replacement after visiting the front desk, where we were told that we could not pick one up. I worry about security, my neice was allowed into the room by the housekeeping with no questions asked - and when charging to the room from the pantry, no id required or questions are asked when giving a room number.

A better alternate which we have visited in the past is the Hampton Inn and Suites, but I do not get my Marriot Rewards points; oh well.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2008

What a great hotel. This is one of the nicest stays I have ever had. The staff was very accomadating and the free breakfast was awesome. Our room was huge and very clean.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 25, 2007

We went to Provo to visit our sons for Thanksgiving. I was confused by the website saying the rooms all had full kitchens into thinking that our room had an oven, but only some of the rooms have ovens. Also, only some of the rooms have fireplaces. But, our room was very nice and we were able to purchase a fully cooked, hot out of the oven turkey from the nearby Albertsons. We made side dishes on the stove and in the microwave. There was also a big refrigerator. I brought my own dishes, pots and pans and silverware from home, but they had a lot there I could've used. The breakfast buffet was wonderful and we enjoyed that very much. Everyone at the hotel was very nice and it was extremely clean and cozy. There was a lighted tennis court/basket ball court and we checked out a cool glow in the dark basket ball. They also had board games. We checked out the Jenga and the game of Life. When the TV didn't work they sent someone to fix it right away. When the bathroom light went out late at night, they gave us a new bulb and my tall husband took care of it. The Christmas tree, outdoor Christmas lights and fireplace were lovely. The treadmill didn't work properly and somehow I ended up falling off of it and was slammed against a mirrored wall and had to crawl out from under the cycling machine, but only got a few scrapes and bruises. Still,be careful of that. We didn't go into the heated, indoor pool, but there were people in there and they seemed to be having lots of fun and I wished I'd brought my suit. I would love to stay there again anytime and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2007

Stayed at this hotel between July 22nd and 26th, 2007.

- Did not get the room rate I had reserved. Even though had documentation on the room rate faced a lot of harassment from staff to honor the rate.

- Toilet backed up (Gross!!). No compensation or complimentary services to alleviate the terrible experience. Not even a call from management regarding the episode. Unfriendly, rude and unresponsive staff (one in particular) who actually commented - have you never experienced that anywhere before... it is quite a common thing!!! (and the answer is NO... have never experienced it at any hotel ever before.... and I travel extensively).

- Did a room change. New room had a musty stink to it. Bathroom was not clean.

- Small black insects crawling on all surfaces.

The person I encountered at the front desk (same as mentioned before, through 2 different conversations with him) was within the top 2 worst front desk / welcome receptionists I have ever come across. Additionally, in all my years of traveling, as far as worst stay and travel experience, this one tops the list!

• Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank WholeTruth

Dear Valued Guest, I am very concerned over this review as I have no reported Guest Issue concerning this matter. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further so I may understand what happened and to ensure you that I have never had an issue such as this in my 10 years at the property. I want to ensure you that I care deeply about our guests and would value talking with you. Thank you, Casey Chapple

Reviewed July 3, 2007

Had to go here on a business trip.
The room had a great location and the staff was great. (Very nice People)

Room was a little bit older but was clean and spotless.
Breakfast is great with a huge selection.
Pool looked nice and clean but I did not use it.

Rooms had a desk, and a kitchen

My only complaint would be that the tv signal would act up from time to time but other then that it is a good place if you need a bigger room.

Stayed: May 2007
Reviewed June 10, 2007

Surprised by the previous reviews giving this hotel 5 stars. Don't be fooled, it's just a very ordinary hotel.

- Front entrance undistinguished, looks like the back of the building
- Lobby cheerless
- No restaurant, just a breakfast room
- Best thing I can say about the room is that it's spacious with separate living room, sleeping quarters and bathroom area
- Furnishings and carpet not particularly appealing, kind of old actually
- Ditto for kitchen appliances
- Very dirty phone and clock radio
- Bathroom very clean though and nice long counter to set out toiletries
- Adequate lighting in all areas
- The queen bed (no kings available anywhere) was okay
- Complimentary breakfast but really not great. The coffee was cold, the eggs were cold, the milk was about to expire on the last day.

I intentionally chose this hotel in lieu of the Marriott Courtyard 3 blocks down the road on University because it seemed the Residence Inn would be higher quality. Sadly, it is not. In fact, for what you get, it's overpriced.

The views of the mountain are fantastic but there is no yard or balcony for you to sit back and relax while you gaze at the view.

Not the worst I've stayed at, but I wouldn't come back. Surely there's gotta be a better hotel nearby.

(The attached photos don't look too bad... but you need to get closer to see the reality.)

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business