“overall amazing experience”

Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley
Ranked #1 of 60 Hotels in Park City
“overall amazing experience”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I recently stayed at the SEL with a group of family/friends. We had an amazing time! The service was first class, and everything was so seamless and easy for the guests. The breakfast buffet was delicious, the service in the ski locker room and access to ski rental/lift tickets on site made my first time ski experience more comfortable, and the SEL pretzel for apres ski was the perfect way to end the day! The shuttle to and from town back to hotel was such a nice perk made it super easy for the group to travel to dinner reservations, the SPA is top notch - can't beat the outdoor jacuzzi!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Best place I've ever been on a ski trip; and one of the best hotels at which I've ever stayed. The service is tremendous (some of the negative reviews I read here baffle me); they treat you like visiting family -- offering truly "any" assistance large or small, while still making you feel at home. The food is wonderful; the rooms are exceptionally cozy and appropriately mountain-themed. The Concierge was exceptionally helpful and eager to please.

By far, my biggest applause goes to the locker room staff -- who made it a "luxury" ski trip for me and my family. They got boots onto my kids and my wife (and me!), making it easy for me to get us all out the door. They ferried our skis and poles out onto the snow for us. They took all of our rental equipment back upstairs to turn it in for us on the last day. They had expert guidance on which lifts and trails were good for us. They had jokes and laughs for the kids, and made "service with a smile" a badge of honor.

Yes, it's expensive. You get what you pay for, and I don't regret it.

This was my second trip to Stein Eriksen. I'll be back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
St. George, Utah
Reviewed March 3, 2014

This was our first visit to the Stein Eriksen Lodge in Deer Valley, and let me say, it definitely will not be our last. There is absolutely no question why it is Utah's only five-star resort. The atmosphere, the hospitality and the amenities set the Stein Eriksen Lodge far apart from it's competition.

On our arrival, we were greeted by Paula at the front desk. She was happy to see us, and excited that we were making our first visit to the lodge. Paula went out of our way to make sure we were taken care of. We arrived a little earlier than the normal check-in time, and our room wasn't ready yet, but Paula told us to wait just a little while while our room was prepared. I told her we were just going to go into town and grab a bite to eat and that we would be back shortly. What a cool surprise to get a call on my cell phone from Paula telling us that our room was ready and we could come and check in at anytime. I have never had this done at any hotel I have stayed at.

The room was very comfortable and had everything one would need for an overnight stay...bath gels, mouthwash, robes, slippers, water and the lodge's famous home-made granola. Our bellman came in and lit the fireplace while we looked around the spacious King Deluxe Room. There was even a private deck we could go out on and enjoy. The bed and bedding was very comfortable, and my wife tells me that this is the best sleep she has had in a long long time.

We spent some time in the workout room, which had everything you needed to get in a quick workout. There are free weights, treadmills, yoga mats, exercise balls and many weight machines. I feel like we had a great workout. The gym even provides iced bottles of water, snacks, flavored ice water as well as chilled towels to be used at the end of your workout.

We then decided to get a couple's massage at the Stein Eriksen Spa. This was the ultimate experience in luxury and relaxation for us. Our two masseurs, Kristy and Ellen were very professional, and fun to have in the room. They provided a great atmosphere for us to relax and be comfortable in. The couple's treatment room is complete with a large soaking tub, and a double shower. We were also able to take advantage of the couple's relaxation room.

We then went to enjoy the other amenities available to us at the spa. Both the men's and the women's rooms include access to a sauna, steam room, hot and cold plunge ( I guess it is the Norwegian way to spend three minutes in the hot pool, and then three minutes in the cold plunge. I could only do about 30 seconds in the cold plunge).

The men and women also have separate relaxation rooms, stocked with snacks and water. As I went into the men’s relaxation room, I was happy to see current newspapers, including the Times and the WSJ on the table and college basketball on the large TV. I spent a good amount of time in here, while my wife did the same in the women’s relaxation room. While the men’s relaxation room was great, I was told by my wife that it paled in comparison to the women’s relaxation room (which was much larger and even had a sun room overlooking the slopes at Deer Valley.)

The Stein Eriksen Lodge is a ski-in lodge, where guests can ski down to the lifts directly from the lodge. While we didn’t ski on this trip, we were excited to see how accessible it is to the slopes. You cannot beat Utah Snow…it really is the “Greatest Snow on Earth!”

The breakfast buffet was top-notch and had everything one could want before hitting the slopes. From cold cereal, hash browns, eggs and fresh fruit, to smoked salmon and maple glazed bacon. The breakfast was included in our room rate, which made it that much better.

This short stay quickly became one of the best weekends we have spent away in our almost 13 years of marriage. Great place to enjoy each other, the beautiful Utah Mountains and the amazing lodge. If you are considering a stay in Park City, I would strongly recommend a stay at the Stein Eriksen Lodge.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are pretty secluded. The lodge is formed in a large circle, and all of the rooms h...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We just stayed at the Stein for the first time. Celebrating both birthday and anniversary we decided to splurge! Everything at the Stein is great, but not fantastic. The biggest let down is the staff; not helpful, friendly or well informed (exception is the guys at ski valet). Additionally, they need to be careful to not get stuck in a 1980's bubble: the hotel itself is starting to feel a bit dated. Amazing breakfast buffet, but very over priced drink and dinner options. Rooms are great and well equipped. Overall, you cannot beat the location, but service not great.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
DBullert, General Manager at Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us on both your birthday and anniversary. I’m sorry you did not find value in your stay. I will contact you personally for more specifics regarding the perceived service and value inconsistencies. Stein Eriksen Lodge, with our rich legendary history has always recognized the necessity to balance the modern landscape with a vintage traditional ski lodge experience. I appreciative the positive comments on our ski valet, amazing breakfast, guest rooms and will reach out to you directly for more details.
Dan Bullert
Hotel Manager
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

My recent trip to the Stein Eriksen Lodge can be summed up in one word...AMAZING! It is by the far the best ski resort I have vacationed at in the country. The service was unbelievable. From the moment we checked in, I felt the staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and incredibly helpful. I don't think I heard the word "no" during the entire trip. Whether it was the wait staff, front desk/concierge, or the housekeeping staff, they all aimed to make our every request a reality. Stein's makes you feel like you are at a "Skiing Country Club" of sorts. The ski in/ski out access is second to none on the mountain. The locker room staff was ready and willing to help whether you were preparing to go out in the morning or coming in after a long and successful day on the slopes. They play the role of your "ski caddy", one of the amenities I love most about Stein's and that I have been unable to find at the vast majority of other resorts.

For all these reasons, our stay was memorable. We have already planned to return to Stein's at the end of March and we cannot wait!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Tom G
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I travelled from Australia to stay at this highly recommended lodge which far exceeded my expectations. From the warm greeting by the bell staff, wonderful rooms, amazing house keeping, outstanding food and outdoor fire pits, I cannot recommend this hotel enough.
The locker room attendants helped put on my boots and the ski in and ski out is the best on the mountain.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Angelique M
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We had a 2-bedroom suite with a private balcony and amazing view. We looked out over the slopes and had a great view of the sunset every night.

The hotel staff was second to none. There was no request that wasn't taken care of within minutes of asking. Take advantage of the shuttle service to get around town.

The breakfast buffet is a must; as is the Skiers Buffet for lunch.

Take time to relax in the spa. The staff is very attentive and the massage was so relaxing after a day on the slopes.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends