“Amazing stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Amazing stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

This summer, my family and I stayed at the Stein Eriksen after a few days in Jackson, Wyoming. We were more than happy with our stay and I highly recommend you stay net time you are in Park City. We were given an amazing suite that was practically perfect. It was just big enough, with five beds for all of us, a hot tub, a fireplace, a washer and dryer, and even a sample of the granola. On that note, I would like to say that unlike a vast majority of hotels, I was actually pleased with the food. I recall having phenomenal banana bread French toast. Though we were in the summer, it was in a great location because in the winter, you could simply ski right out of the hotel. Make sure that the Stein Eriksen is your #1 choice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Russell W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

I stayed at Stein Eriksen along with my two daughters, my sister, and my niece. It was a birthday gift from my daughters and I am very glad I chose Park City and specifically, the Stein Eriksen. I chose to visit for a week in early November before the season as the goal was a laid-back vacation in a beautiful location. I was enthralled with Park City and the resort. I noticed that another reviewer complained about no coffee in the lobby but during our trip that was not the case. Also, the coffee in the room was very good. It was a Keurig single cup system and the first batch of coffee was dark roast which half of us liked and half of us did not. So I requested a lighter roast from housekeeping who happily obliged. I loved the turn-down service at night! As this was my celebration, I occupied the master suite all by myself (heavenly), and each night the staff set out two robes, two slippers, two cups for hot chocolate, and two chocolates! I probably should have told them it was only me, but those chocolates! Yum! (my bad!) I cannot say enough good things about my experience. It was rustic luxury at its best. Sitting in front of the fireplace every night with my girls was a mother's dream. The staff was friendly, courteous and helpful. The meals in the restaurant and lounge were delicious, not rich and decadent and heavy, but very good. The one improvement I would suggest would be to use a little fabric softener with the robes! Our robes were not comfortable and were scratchy and stiff. That seemed out of character for the otherwise luxurious amenities. All in all, I cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem, ask for a room/suite accessible without stairs. On the other hand, just tak...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jacki G
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

I had a great love for the Stein Eriksen. We have family in Salt Lake so have been staying there most every other year for the last 15 years. It's a stay we always look forward to, but this year the place looked shabby and began to lose its luster: lampshades were tattered, the gas fireplace crapped out on our second day, the master bath faucet was corroded and smelled very, very bad. Other little things too, like no frying pans in the kitchen, the alarm that woke us on our first day of vacation at 6:30am, non-absorbant, wafer-thin bath mats and towels, slippers so weathered they curl and seem to be made if cardboard, no welcome coffee or water service in the main lobby, and where was the usual day after Thanksgiving Christmas tree set up and gingerbread house that my kids always looked forward to? The restaurant and shops lobby was totally empty and quiet - no fire in the fireplace, the piano locked, completely unfestive and unwelcoming. While the service remained friendly and happy to help, there was no sense of anticipating the guests' needs that you would expect from a 5 Diamond hotel. And there were missteps there as well: the valet brought our car around with our keys as well as someone else's keys. Good thing we caught the error before leaving for the day or there would have been a very irate guest. And while the Murphy bed was turned down the first night, there was no turndown service the second or third nights.

I guess there has to be a last time for everything, and I think this is the last time we stay at SEL. I was always willing to make the freezing sprint from the pool to our room for the luxury of the Stein, but this time around it was disappointingly lackluster and not worth the money. I tried to write the hotel directly to initiate a conversation instead of posting on Tripadvisor, but they never returned my email requesting a contact name and address. Sad, especially since we've been return customers for so long. If you're looking for a place with a loyalty program and values repeat customers, I'd recommend the Starwood program. And I hear the St. Regis has a funicular and fire garden. Maybe we'll try that next time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Cheong2014
SteinEriksenLodge, Public Relations Manager at Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for your loyal stays with us and for sharing your thoughts and observations about your recent stay at our lodge. Guest feedback is crucial to our success, and we are committed to delivering exemplary service every step of the way. We reviewed your concerns with our team, but would like to learn more about your atypical experience. We pride ourselves on having a large return customer base, and would like to rectify the situation. We kindly invite you to respond to our private message.

Beth
Public Relations
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

We kept coming back again and again for superb and friendly service by Stephanie! The food is great-- love it all-- but it's the welcome that brought us back so often! Annette in Lost and Found also retrieved my son's jacket and sent it to us after he left it on New Year's Eve-- thanks so much!

• Stayed December 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

I've stayed here five times and loved every experience. The service is awesome! The breakfast buffet is over-the-top and it's a great place for Apres Ski. The rooms are just what you'd expect and the spa (and massages) really exceptional. Hard to beat in Deer Valley--even with all the new luxury hotels popping up on the mountain.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jeff F
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

My husband and I travel to Deer Valley, Utah every December for a week. We have stayed at three different places over the last seven years, but Stein Eriksen is our favorite! It is always decorated beautifully for Christmas and along with the beautiful snow gets us in the spirit of the season. This year I wrote Christmas cards from our suite while watching skiers shush down the slopes with a backdrop of evergreens heavily laden with fresh snow.
Everyone who works at Stein is friendly, helpful and reliable. It begins with the young men who park your car or greet you at the door. Our dining room waiter remembered us from last year and remembered our name! Breakfast was something to look forward to seated at a table in the main dining room in front of a stone fireplace with a roaring fire. It simply doesn't get any better than Stein Eriksen Lodge!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Atherton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stayed over Xmas 2013.

The over-the-top service started before my family even arrived--the concierge service works hard to be able to "just take care of it," from airport pickup to a last-minute reservation at their restaurant Glitrerind for Xmas night buffet. They booked almost all my dinner reservations during my family's 5-night stay.

They have shuttle that runs every 30 min from the lodge that can drop you off pretty much anywhere within a couple of miles (including Montage). Call a number and they will pick you up generally within 10 min. Super-convenient.

The ski attendants were similarly super-friendly and helpful. They assign a locker to you and will pick up your skis from the rental shop upstairs (also provided great service). They'll help you put on your boots (I did my own, but helped the kids) and set your skis outside. It's ski-in/ski-out at the best location on Deer Valley. At the end of the day, they'll bring your skis in and help you take off your boots and store your skis/boots in your locker. Very friendly folks.

Complementary breakfast at Glitrerind was fantastic--great variety and a great way to start the day. Maple bacon is to die for. Lunch was tasty (giant helping of steamed mussels), but dinner was phenomenal. Unique menu. Great wine list (best of all restaurants that we went to).

Our room w/two queens shared a foyer with one other room. Had a washer/dryer in the foyer which came in handy.

Will try to make a stay at Stein Eriksen an annual tradition!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family