“Worth every penny!”

Ranked #1 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Worth every penny!”
Reviewed April 5, 2011

The first thing I must say is that this was my first ski trip ever, so in some ways I have nothing to compare it to, but it was FANTASTIC! I am ready to make another reservation for spring break next year! My friends and I were a little leery of the high prices at the Stein Eriksen, but we were reassured in several conversations with the nice folks in reservations that we were booking some truly gorgeous rooms, and it was true. We had rooms 214-1 (a suite with BR, loft, kitchen, dining area, living area, and huge windows with lovely views of the slopes) and room 214-2 (a very spacious room with a large dressing area, big bathroom w/jetted tub, fireplace, deck & hot tub, also with lovely views). I am a light sleeper, but I can attest that my room was very, very quiet. Our two rooms opened onto a foyer with two other guest rooms and a laundry room, but it did not feel as if we were sharing space with strangers, and I could not hear the washer/dryer when I was in my room. Just about every member of the staff throughout the hotel and spa were very friendly, cheerful, and helpful -- exactly the level of service you would hope for at a luxury hotel. (The one little exception was a young guy in the on-site ski rental shop, who I can only hope was such a rookie that nobody had yet taught him that it is not OK for ski boots to crush a client's arthritic toes. But with persistence -- and some help from a senior employee -- we all got the equipment we needed.) The ski valets were especially helpful. I can also strongly recommend the SPA! I had two massages and a really great manicure during my stay -- again the prices are high but the quality was worth it! -- and my friends also enjoyed their treatments. The food is very good, but of course heavy on classic dishes involving cheese, potatoes, and vast quantities of meat. Luckily this was exactly what I wanted to eat after a day of skiing out in the cold, but a vegetarian might have been sad. The general atmosphere was rustic but elegant (lots of leather chairs, antlers ont the walls, and souvenirs of Stein Eriksen's ski career), and it felt unpretentious. The crowd included a lot of families and serious skiers there for spring break, not many fashion victims in furs. All in all, I had a fantastic experience and I can't wait to go again!

Room Tip: Book a specific room, don't leave it to chance
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
SteinEriksenLodge, Public Relations Manager at Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
I am so pleased that you had such a wonderful experience at Stein Eriksen Lodge. It is our goal to provide exceptional service to our guests in an unpretentious manner. I do hope to see back again next winter. Cheers.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Amazing stay! The staff really go above and beyond to please you. Ski in/Ski out was fantastic and convenient. A family of 4 had a great ski vacation and we'll be back!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta
Reviewed March 16, 2011

Perfect. Great conceirge. They recommended our favorite two restaurants experiences. Ski-in-ski-out is perfect. But we tried all three resorts in the area. Loved it, loved it!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I stayed at the Stein Jan 4-11, 2011 with my sister, her two daughters and a friend one of them had invited.

What I liked most about the Stein was its location: ski-in, ski-out is very convenient and Deer Valley is a great place to ski. Great snow, lots of great slopes, no lines, and no snow-boarders. I also LOVED the spa at the Stein. Beautiful hot tub, sauna, steam room, outdoor pool. I spent many happy hours there after skiing. Our room was very comfortable for 5 people and the lodge was a fine place to eat and have drinks on occasion.

Everyone we dealt with at the Stein was very nice and they all were trying hard to deliver top-notch service, from the people cleaning the room to the men who helped you take off your boots after skiing. But.

My niece left her watch in her bathrobe and for some reason they removed the bath robe and washed it, destroying the watch. My sister's ski boots were given to a family that left two days before us, so she had to rent ski boots while they scrambled to have her boots returned to her. And I put my ski boot bag in the 'wrong' closet in our room. It was removed by someone and even though it had my name tag on it, they couldn't find it so I had to borrow my niece's bag to return home.

I discussed these three issues with management, and they responded very generously. They offered to replace my niece's watch or give her the money it was worth; they found my boot bag and shipped it to me; my sister did get her boots back. They also refunded some of our expenses and gave us a bottle of wine in order to compensate us for our trouble.

The fact that we had these three problems suggests there are some management issues at the Stein. However, my experience also suggests they "get it" and are acting to address these issues.

Although we did experience a few bumps in the road, we had a great time at the Stein.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jameslnash
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 3, 2010

My husband and I went to Steins on our honeymoon, and have gone back for 2 more trips since then for our anniversaries. It's definitely worth splurging for on your anniversary. We've stayed in the lodge twice now, but this time we were in a different part of steins. We were in one of the rooms that surrounds the main lodge. I love that steins was designed so that every room has a fantastic mountain view, and most have a balcony to enjoy. Their turn down service is the best I've ever had. They leave water, ice, bathrobes, and mints out for you. There are always people to greet you at the main entrance and they always pull your car around very quickly. We decided to try out the pool this time. It was still warm for September, but it was late at night, on the mountain so it was perfect to have a heated pool, just the right temperature. You should definitely stay at Stein Eriksen!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Reviewed October 14, 2010

My husband and I were married at the Stein Eriksen hotel in May of 2010. From the minute we arrived we were made to feel welcome! The hotel itself has a lovely rustic-looking exterior and overlooks the adjacent ski slopes. We were fortunate to have arrived shortly after they completed the complete overhaul of their locker room and spa facilities... WOW!! I got lost twice in the enormous locker room (that featured: hot tub, cold plunge pool, steam room, and sauna!). The staff was kind, accomodating, and basically made every one of our guests feel special. Our room was clean, quiet, and extremely comfortable. I can't say enough good things about this place. We'll be going back - and many of our wedding guests said they would too! Thank you, Stein Eriksen staff for a truly wonderful experience.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Wayne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 2, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Stein Eriksen Lodge for a business meeting. The meeting planner secured great rates because it was between seasons in Park City -- the summer hikers and bikers had left and the skiers had yet to arrive.

I would caution anyone planning a stay to be aware of the multiple levels of the rooms. It is necessary to be able to negotiate stairs and breathe easily at 8500 feet above sea level.

If you are in decent shape and can afford the hefty in season rates, you should definitely stay here for a wonderful visit.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business