“This is the Place”

Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley
Ranked #1 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Reviewed October 18, 2007

As Brigham Young once said, "This is the Place". Our room was amazing. Three bedrooms, large living room, kitchenette and three gorgeous bathrooms. The art was all original and rich. The bathrooms were opulent and well designed.

The public rooms were gorgeous in a mountain, rustic way.

The breakfast is simply one of the best you'll have anywhere in the world.

To complete the description, the location is perfect being close to the ski lifts. The beds were large and comfortable. Go have fun. You won't be disappointed.

Stayed: September 2006
8  Thank laabis

Reviewed October 15, 2007

I have stayed at many ski hotels but this location is amazing. words cannot describe how beautiful it is, the skiing at deer valley is the best!!!! amazing snow, i was so sad when i had to leave it was like a dream come true staying there AMAZING. I would recommend this hotel to EVERYONE. There is always a huge waiting list for Christmas for a reason this is the best ski hotel in america hands down

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank skiutah
Reviewed October 9, 2007

I can not say enough wonderful things about the Stein Eriksen, off-season. Everyone at the hotel went out of their way to make you feel welcomed and comfortable. Our room was beautiful with lovely amenities. It was my birthday and the staff actually sent chocolate covered strawberries to the room for the occasion. The prices off-season seemed very resonable for the area. Working fireplaces in bedroom and living area, full kitchen, and large hottub on our deck were also a nice draw! Restaurant was also excellent and service superb.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JMCGIVNEY
Reviewed October 3, 2007

I agree with NYCGirl's assessment of the Lodge as "just OK." Certainly the mountain air is bracing and the grounds large enough to keep many busy just trying to find their way. And certainly the service was fine. The valet team outside almost accosts guests trying to get them to take as much bottled water as they can carry, given the dry conditions of the area. And the bellhop was gracious and thorough in showing us our room and its amenities. But the room itself was rather strange. We booked the "Just the two of you" package that includes continental breakfast and a luxury room. Our luxury room--#116--has a nice rustic view of treelines but broken by a stream of traffic. In the room itself are two large easy chairs placed directly in front of the fireplace, with the TV off to the side so that the only practical spot to view any programming is from the bed itself. The Loofa bath sponge, however, was a nice touch and made for proper scrubbing at night.

The first night we had dinner in the Troll Hallen, a rustic lounge area adjacent to the more formal Glitretind restaurant. One the menu is a notice that drinks will be served only to guests ordering food. Fortunately, any appetizer counts as food. We ordered the house garlic cheese fries for munchies with our margaritas, only to be served a huge bowl of enormous wedge potatoes that could have fed our entire block of rooms. Our two dinner salads were quite good and were accompanied by another huge tray of five different kinds of bread. The Sunday brunch, highly touted in their literature, was priced at $32. No one explained what was included. We were told about different dishes. I had to ask where to find them. Were drinks included? We had to ask about that as well. (A note: the infamous Polygamy Porter is actually very good and accompanies food nicely.) The fresh berries were outstanding and were almost worth the price of the brunch. Much of the other food was dry or unpleasant: the quinoa was oversalted and the polenta was so gooey and sweet that someone must have misinterpeted cooking instructions. Room service breakfast (included in the rates) was a treat, with nice juices, fruit, cereal but usually served without spoons or without an extra coffee cup. The third time was perfect.

Reserving our room was a feat unto itself. No one returned our calls or answered e-mails until I had to beg. After a fourth attempt to finalize our plans, a pleasant operator called. When I first called, in January, we were told that all "deluxe" rooms had been booked but that we were too early to book for our summer package. Huh??

Although we enjoyed ourselves sufficiently for this first time, there really isn't anything to bring us back. Great service (most of the time) and pleasant surroundings. But at $335 a night, including parking and tax, we expected a larger draw.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank M-man11
Reviewed August 19, 2007

I have now stayed at the Stein Eriksen Lodge twice, once alone and once with my husband. The hotel is nice and is a great location if you ski. I however cannot say that it was really worth the money that they charge during peak season. My husband and I are willing to pay high prices for unique properties and I am sad to say that going forward we would look to find a different place. Here are some details on our stay:

1. The rooms are nice but nothing special, more of the standard lodge style room you would expect. Some are more spacious than others. We had a fireplace on one of our stays, which was nice but seems to be standard at ski lodges in this price group. We did have a room that was on a lower level and therefore looking at a wall, which at $700 a night seemed a little odd. The bathroom fixtures seem cheap.
2. Products: bathroom products were great. I love the fact that they gave out lip protector with SPF.
3. The layout of the property is poor. The first room I was given when I was there alone was located in the back of the hotel property and a decent walk outside to the main lodge where the dinning room is located. When I asked to be switched to a room that was closer (safety issue concern) the hotel was gracious about moving me. The problem with the layout is that in order get from place to place (gym, spa, main lodge, etc) you have to walk a bit of a distance outside which in the winter can be bothersome.
4. The restaurant: We celebrated Valentine’s Day at the restaurant and were happy with the food, not crazy happy but service was standard and the food was enjoyable. The breakfast buffet is very nice.
5. Hotel Service: the staff is friendly and helpful. The shuttle from the hotel into town is a nice addition and we did not have a problem organizing pick-ups either during the day or at night during our 7 days at the lodge. The hotel also helped me arrange a sleigh ride on Valentine’s Day, which was very nice.
6. The gym facility was below standard in my opinion for a hotel of this size and price group. It was very small and did not have many equipment options.
7. Spa: The spa was ok. Not much of a relaxation room but the service (I had a facial) was good and my attendant was friendly.

There was nothing bad about our stay but there was nothing amazing either. I would not stay here again (at least at the current rates).

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Andrea L
Reviewed July 2, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Stein-Eriksen from Jun 2-3, as part of a weekend getaway. We went largely because of the Spring Renewal package, which included a 3-course dinner for 2 at their fabulous restaurant downstairs along with the room for less than $200. (The meal alone would usually cost over $100.) The room itself was a bit dark for our tastes, as the there was a very heavy roof overhang over the balcony. Still, the bed was a very comfortable, and the down pillows superb. We appreciated the big bathroom with jacuzzi tub and separate area for sinks and dressing. The robes and complimentary Molton Brown toiletries were also very nice. The restaurant serves a fabulous dinner, as well as a top-notch Sunday brunch. We also arranged to take a hot-air balloon ride, which was great. The service from all staff was unbeatable. All in all, we would highly recommend staying here during the off-season as the prices are almost too good to pass up.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Marc D
Reviewed June 30, 2007

My husband and I returned today from an overnight stay at the Stein Eriksen Lodge to celebrate our fifth anniversary and kind of as a final fling before we have our first child this fall. We wanted someplace special and nice, but not too outrageously expensive. And the Stein really was a wonderful place to stay. I'm so glad we decided to go there, versus some of the other places we had looked at in Park City as well as in Salt Lake City (such as the Grand America). In addition, the summer temperature of Park City is about 10 degrees cooler than in the valley (Salt Lake, Provo, etc.). It was a welcome break from the heat.

We stayed in a deluxe room (which is the most standard type), but we upgraded slightly to have a hot tub on our balcony. We also purchased the Sunday brunch package. For this type of room and this package the total cost (before valet, tips, etc.) was $312. (The Sunday brunch by itself is about $70 for two people). I was a little concerned that the "standard" room wouldn't be special enough for our final fling prior to parenthood, but it was actually wonderful. It had enough small, extra touches that made the standard room seem really special. The bedroom itself is small, but very comfortable. The lights are soft and set a nice mood. There's a CD player by the bed with a CD provided of soft piano music. The bed is the kind you just sink into, with pillow top mattress, down comforter, and three down pillows (plus two firmer pillows if you prefer that). There's a DVD/VCR player, but we didn't bring any movies to watch. There's also a closet that has a light that turns on automatically when you open it, and inside is a luggage rack, mini-fridge, and coffee maker. Beside the coffee maker was a basket of coffee, tea, and hot chocolate packets. Inside the fridge was plenty of creamer, and in the freezer portion were ice cubes.

The bathroom part of the deluxe room was large and luxurious. The double-sink vanity is a separate room from the bedroom, and you access the bathroom through it. It was nice because I could get up before my husband and close the vanity room door and get ready while he still slept. Inside the vanity room is a closet with another luggage rack and some amenities like spray starch, iron, and a humidifier. Plenty of mirrors, including a lit cosmetic mirror. The bathroom itself is done up in beautiful creamy-colored tile. Our bathroom must've been a slight upgrade from the most basic deluxe room, because we had a separate shower stall and double-person jetted tub (I think the standard just has a shower/tub combo). The bathroom amenities are very nice, from the fresh flower in a vase on the marble sink countertop to the natural sponge by the jetted tub to the shampoo/conditioner/lotion/shower gel provided. We never used the jetted tub, but the shower was tall and roomy and had good hot water.

We were trying to save money by getting the deluxe room, but it was totally worth upgrading to have our own spa on our balcony. It was a large, clean four-person (or so) hot tub that was already filled and heated when we got there. We turned on the CD player and listened to soft piano music while we soaked. There were two bathrobes and slippers provided for us in the room, which really came in handy and made the stay all the more comfortable. The only slight disappointment was that our neighbors were out using their hot tub during part of the time we used ours, and our balconies were close enough that we were partially visible to them. Also, we couldn't figure out how to turn off the outside light above the hot tub. But sitting in the hot tub was really pleasant in the night air, overlooking the mountains. I had specifically asked when we booked if the hot tub's temperature would be adjustable, since I'm pregnant and the doctor said to try to keep the temp under 100 degrees. It was adjustable, but the standard temperature is 104 degrees, and though we tried to set it to 99 degrees, it cooled down so incrementally that it only got down to 102 before we were done using it. But I just got out frequently and it was no big deal.

Saturday night we took the free shuttle (a Lexus) to historic main street and had dinner. When we wanted to be picked up we used our cell phone to call the hotel and request pick-up. The driver arrived in about 10 minutes.

I had read other reviews about how easy it is to tip out a small fortune while you're at the Stein. We kept that in mind and when we checked in we insisted we carry our own luggage (a single bag) to our room. The front desk attendant seemed to think that was a little unusual, but she let us. And it's no big deal finding your room, even though the rooms are spread out, resort-style.

The Sunday brunch was fabulous. We enjoyed it sitting out on the deck of the Troll Hallen lounge. The fresh air was great, and it was a nice view overlooking two ski lifts and other resorts in the mountains. The food was all well prepared and delicious. The only other Sunday brunch I have to compare this one to is the one at Little America in Salt Lake City. The Little America has more food stations and a larger quantity of food, but the quality of both brunches is fabulous. And I preferred sitting outside in the mountains to inside a ballroom at the Little America. Some of the foods we enjoyed: coconut French toast with fresh fruit and cream, Belgian waffles, fresh-squeezed OJ (it is so good!), beef brisket (so tender), garlic mashed potatoes with freshly grated parmesan cheese (excellent flavor), and for dessert chocolate decadence (which in their restaurant costs about $9 per slice), caramel bread pudding with vanilla sauce, and many many other items. I also saw lots of seafood, an omelet station, and a bananas foster station where they make it in front of you. We weren't disappointed by the meal.

Overall we thought the hotel service was terrific, the atmosphere relaxing, and our overall stay very rewarding. It was a nice way to spend a weekend with my husband.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple