“Strangest Hotel Stay Ever”

Shadow Ridge Resort Hotel
Ranked #30 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Reviewed December 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel because he was invited to present at a conference that was being held there. There were some good things, some strange things, some bad things, and one egregious thing about our stay experience.

Good points: friendly and courteous staff (they let us check in really early), convenient location (free Park City bus service stops close by), large room (big enough for 2 queen size beds and then some), comfortable enough beds (better than average for a hotel bed), & low room rates.

Strange points: room appeared unfinished (there was no shower curtain liner; there were discarded ceiling hooks stored in the nightstand; only the top drawer of a 3-drawer dresser functioned properly) & only limited housekeeping service is offered.

Bad points: not enough light in the room (only 3 table lamps for a large room), not enough furniture in the room (no desk or chair even though there was plenty of space for them), the window treatments (wood shutters) were broken; & the elevator broke down twice during our 4-night stay.

Overall, the hotel stay was okay, but for one thing that gives this hotel a "terrible" rating. When I returned to the room after breakfast one morning, I found the deadbolt propping the door open. The room was dark and there was no sign of housekeeping in the hall or adjacent rooms. When I entered the room (by merely pushing the door open), it was clear that housekeeping had serviced the room. I immediately rushed down to the front desk to complain about the open door. The front desk blamed housekeeping for the security breach but did not adequately apologize for the incident or ask me if anything from my room was missing. Needless to say, I did not request further housekeeping services during the remainder of my stay.

I could deal with the good, the strange, and even the bad things about our hotel stay, but the fact that housekeeping left our door open after servicing the room is inexcusable. Furthermore, at any reputable hotel the management would have been effusive in their apologies and have striven to ensure that our valuables were not missing. Not so at Shadow Ridge. We will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank worldtravelerin2012
Branden P, General Manager at Shadow Ridge Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Dear Guests,

Thank you for expressing your views on Trip Advisor even though you weren't pleased with your stay. When reading through your review I would like to point out a few items.

1) Thank you for acknowledging the staff and on letting you check in early. Which was a few hours before the 4:00 pm check-in time. Also, in stating you had a pleasant room with upgraded bedding and that the room rates were acceptable to your needs during your conference.

2) At the beginning of your stay you mentioned you had a missing shower curtain. This issue was addressed within hours. As for the ceiling hooks in the night stand and the 3-drawer dresser not working properly I do apologize for the inconvenience. I will address this issue with my maintenance team to make sure no other guests have the same issue.

3) As for not enough lights and not enough furniture in the condo (Hotel Rooms), please keep in mind that all these rooms at the Shadow Ridge Hotel are individually owned. I will talk to the owner to see if we can do anything such as adding a few items to address your complaint. The elevator was going through a routine maintenance check up for the up-coming Christmas check-ins. As you stated you felt that this elevator was broken during your four night stay. I do apologize for the inconvenience that this may caused. We did have another elevator in the building that guests could use when the other elevator was not working.

4) Addressing the major issue to your review: Housekeeping did a towel and trash each day you were staying at the Shadow Ridge Hotel, which was complimentary to your conference group. As you stated you returned to your room after breakfast and saw that the deadbolt was open. Yes, you did immediately rush to the front desk and talked to me personally. I was very open to your complaint and did talk to my housekeeping and maintenance teams right after the issue was brought up. There was no blaming on either party but me as the General Manager of the hotel. I take full responsibility and am truly sorry you had to experience something like that at my hotel. Please keep in mind that we did ask if you would like any compensation, anything we could do to help ease the issue and/or help address any other issues "if" there was any missing items.

Finally, I'd like to say I am truly sorry for the deadbolt issue and you as a guest not feeling that our apologizes weren't up to your standard. I will address these issues with my Front Desk, Housekeeping and Maintenance teams so we will not have another issue like this in the future.

Thank you for the review and hopefully I was able to address your issues.

Safe Travels and Happy Holidays.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

I loved this condo hotel! Everything I needed from the comfort of the decor to the kitchen utensils. I could have stay forever. Beautiful fireplace, cozy furnishings from a showroom floor. My unit had upscale finishes and a relaxed ambiance. The staff was great and the location made getting around a breeze. Only the beauty of the surroundings surpassed the atmosphere of the condo. I'll be back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Lisa B
Branden P, General Manager at Shadow Ridge Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Lisa,

Thank you so much for the review. I am glad to see you had a "Fantastic stay" at Shadow Ridge Hotel. We look forward to your return and hope you have safe travels back to Cabo San Lucas.

Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Branden Peck
General Manager of Shadow Ridge Hotel.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We arrived at approximately 10:30 pm to find the hotel locked up. Looking through the front entrance we realized the registration window was closed (metal security pull-down type). There was a piece of paper taped to the door with "after hour check-in procedures". We called and listened to the lengthy menu and finally were transferred to a very polite person who walked us through the whole process. CC for incidentals, they then gave us an access code (don't know what incidental charges you could incur but...okay). We were instructed to park in the underground parking structure, take the second right. The sidewalk at the entrance of the parking garage was under construction and really tested the undercarriage of our car just getting into the driveway. We then took the elevator to the 4th floor. Walking through the hall it was evident that there is absolutely no insulation between the living areas and the hall as it was extremely loud and you could hear detailed conversations just by passing by. However, once in side our room it was quiet....until 1a.m. when a party arrived and decided to visit in the hall for several minutes. The room was dated....stains in the carpet....dried leaves on the carpet near the sliding glass door (vaccuum?) Water stain on the nightstand (not a blister, it just was not dusted or wiped off). There was not a single cup in the room to get a drink of water with, plastic or otherwise. I would have traded any of the many moose characters that adorned the dresser and armoir for a cup when I went to brush my teeth. They had a coffee pot, again no cups. One garbage receptacle for the entire room. A dusty hand held Dirt Devil on the top shelf next to the blanket. (I think it blew it's bag....it was really dusty, maybe when they were trying to vacuum the leaves.) Notes taped to the wall with instructions to the thermostat - not to use it....to the wall near the verticle blinds how to operate them. No menu for the TV. The shower curtain had black mold growing on the bottom of it. Hmmm.....guess we won't be staying there when the snow flies and the ski resort opens for the season.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank livinit2Ks
Branden P, General Manager at Shadow Ridge Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to express the issues you had at the hotel. Due to summer hours still being in effect we ask all guests to call before hand if they will be arriving after-hours. Summer hours of operation are from 9am -5pm. Winter starting Dec. 1st, we will be going to a 24hr front desk to help guests anytime day or night. As for your the construction and the parking garage issue I will take full responsibility on not informing the staff correctly on how to park after-hours. As for the housekeeping issues, its not acceptable that you had to go through what you did. I will take the issues straight to my housekeeping Manager so they are well aware of the issues you encountered. I would love for you to come back again and experience the hotel in the winter. Please call me directly and I am more than happy take care of your on your next stay. Again, thank you for the review and showing us where we need to work on for our future guests.

Thanks,

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I had a wonderful time here, the place was great. I loved the hot tub, and the manager, Branden, was awesome. He got us a reservation at Talisker on Main when they were all booked up. I’ll definitely stay here next time i’m back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Branden P, General Manager at Shadow Ridge Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear Bronco71,

Thank you for the review and it was my pleasure getting you that reservation. Again, thank you for the 5 star review and look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

From the minute we got here, we knew we were going to have a perfect weekend! The staff was incredibly helpful and nice, the condo was beautifully remodeled and spotless, and the property itself was very nice! We parked our car and didnt have to use it again until it was time to for us to leave park city- they had shuttles and busses to take you anywhere you needed to go! Halfway through our stay the staff offered to put us on a list to get into PCL free of charge for a big show that weekend, which we agreed to. We were treated so great, we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2012
Branden P, General Manager at Shadow Ridge Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Nina,

Thank you so much for writing a review on TripAvisor. We at the hotel loved having you stay with us and look forward to your return. Glad to hear the concert went well and you were able to get in without any hassle. Again, thank you for the review and hope you have safe travels home!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

My girlfriend and I had the pleasure to stay at Shadow Ridge Resort in Park City this last October. We drove down from Idaho for a weekend getaway and absolutely loved our stay. The front desk staff was extremely nice and answered all of our questions. We met the manager, Branden, who was extremely helpful and recommended some very delightful places to see and eat. I will be staying here in the future for sure!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Branden P, General Manager at Shadow Ridge Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Lucas,

It was our pleasure having you stay at the Shadow Ridge Hotel. Thank you for the 5 star review and we look forward to your return. Have a wonderful day and safe trip back home!

Reviewed October 23, 2012

This magical resort was a place my friends and I will never forget yet dream of coming back year after year! It deserves 5 stars for many reasons. From the wonderful, informed staff to the cozy condo and all of the amenities this resort made our experience ten fold. Our weekend was full of summer activities and we were able to execute all of these adventures as Shadow Ridge was conveniently located. Overall, price was right and the future is bright with Shadow Ridge! Thanks again for making our stay pleasurable!

Room Tip: Any room with Shadow is perfect !