“Ski Vacation”

Old Town Guest House
Ranked #2 of 3 Park City B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 6, 2013

First and foremost, as a female solo traveler, I felt extremely safe staying at the Old Town Guest House. I stayed 6 days in Park City in early January, 2013 in the Treasure Hollow room. The room is spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was great; fully stocked with toiletries, scale and thick bath robes. Even when the temperature hovered slightly above 0 degrees, the water in the shower was hot and the room was toasty. The breakfast was always filling and the coffee was ready for me as soon as I was up. The afternoon snacks were a nice treat. Both the innkeeper (Robyn) and the inn owner (Deb) are skiers so they were a wealth of knowledge about skiing in the area. Upon the advise of the owner of the inn, I did not rent a car and that is the right decision for anyone willing to walk about and take the free city buses around town. The inn is a 2 minute walk to Park City Mountain Resort. From there, it is a short bus ride to the Canyons and Deer Park Ski resorts. The city buses are equipped to handle skiers and their equipment. I was able to ski all three resorts and found my favorite to be PCMR. Deb was also able to make arrangements for me to ski Alta and Robyn joined me for a tough day of skiing. The Jacuzzi on the back porch was the perfect way to end a day of skiing. When I was in need of a message, Robyn was able to book one for me on short notice with a wonderful massage therapist. I am not a big party person, so my evenings were spent either walking around the old town area of Park City or simply relaxing in my room near the fire place. The city was preparing for the upcoming Sundance film festival, and on one of my walks, I happened to come upon the art museum. I watched a free screening of a movie that was to be presented as part of the film festival. I also managed to catch a movie with Deb and Robyn. I just can't rave enough about how well I was treated and really feel I found friends in the wonderful women I met on this trip. I highly recommend this inn to any solo female traveler.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife & I got the chance to stay at the Old Town Guest House around the 2012 PCPTP and were very happy with the choice. Deb sent us on various bike rides before and after the race that were spot on - bonus we rode from the house to the house!

Breakfast was great, hot tub was hot and clean, sun deck rocks and the room was quite, clean and comfortable. Location to walk to bar/food and Park Silly market was great.

Definitely will go back. If you are looking for an active vacation in Park City then try the Old Town Guest House.

Room Tip: A couple staying for a week and got to stay in the McConkey suite, thanks again Deb. The extra spac...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This had great reviews and I was looking forward to checking it out. The reservation system and response emails were well organized and timely. The Inn itself was average. The big deck was nice, but appeared sort of abandoned and like it hadn't been used in a while. The flowers looked tired. Inside, average furnishings, decent towels, and a comfortable bed with bedding that was in good shape. The toiletry amenities were plentiful. There were some cookies on the counter when we arrived. Sodas and other snacks were available at a nominal price of 50 cents each. I thought it was a little odd that they were selling GU labeled as being professional samples for 50 cents each as well. The bathroom was very small, with no place to perch toiletries. We shared a separate shower with one other room. The shower was clean and I didn't feel the need to use shower sandals. I think what was disappointing was the lack of owner presence. We never did see the owner and there was not much of a feeling of outreach of hospitality. It felt like this Inn is a business, period, which is fine, but one usually feels a little more "touched" by little touches when staying in a B and B. The gal overseeing things was very kind and good with providing info when we did see her. The breakfast was simple and tasty, but not inspired. Muffins, scrambled eggs, granola, etc. The location of the Inn is really good- just about a five minute walk to Old Town. So, all in all, it's a decent place to stay and I felt like the value for what we paid was okay. I'd stay here again, but might look around to see what else was available too.

Room Tip: Our room, Quittin Time, was private and quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Marilyn K
MilesL, Owner at Old Town Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

During the time in which this couple stayed, I was leading mountain bike rides all day for the other guests. I had offered for them to join us, but they weren't mountain bikers. Of course the flowers on the deck looked a bit tired... we were in the warmest summer in awhile and watering to keep flowers looking super bright was not a good choice for water conservation. Not sure about the GU comment... GU is one of my sponsors for trail running... I love that I can pass on Gu's at such a reasonable price to my guests!! 50 cents for a GU!! What a deal!! I am not allowed to give the away... so at at retail price of $1.99 my guests love it!!

Again... I do feel bed for these guests arriving at a time when all the other guests wanted to be out the door and riding ASAP. I cater the the outdoor enthusiast... so some of our practices might seem "weird" to those who don't know what "GU" is or why things seem empty on an amazing riding day. We are enviromentally aware and do not over water the garden or flower pots.

Hopefully this clears up a few of their comments.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

We loved our stay at the Old Town Guest House because we felt like a local in Park City. Easy to park, easy to walk to town, great relaxing deck, clean living room, charming rooms each with a different feeling. We will come back this winter! Our 12 and 9 year olds loved the place and the breakfast too! The McConkey Suite was large and easy to relax in. Thanks for making our visit to Park City so special!

Room Tip: Families will like the McConkey Suite. Bunk bed in separate room for kids!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This review is long overdue – Deb my apologies!

My wife and I were attending the first half of the 2012 Sundance film festival in January. While searching for accommodations, I came across The Old Town Guest House. The rates advertised were reasonable for any time of the year, but especially reasonable for the film festival. So after checking other reviews on Trip Advisor we booked our 5 night stay. I received a great confirmation email with all the necessary information about the property and check-in procedures, as well as great advice for our visit.

Upon arrival in Salt Lake City, we took a shuttle from the airport and arrived in the mid-afternoon. As described, the check-in was “self service” and we had a welcome note with our key. We stayed in the Treasure Hollow room which was right off of the living room – the room was bright and spacious with plenty of closet space and a big comfortable bed.

On our first day we skied instead of attending the festival so we set out to the ski area. After a great breakfast and a couple of cups of coffee, we borrowed a community backpack and set out for a day of skiing. It was a short walk down to the end of the street and we were at base of the mountain. At the end of the day, it was another short walk back to the house – very convenient. The hot tub was a welcome relief after a tough day on the slopes.

The rest of the week we were up and out at the crack of dawn in order to view our early a.m. movies so we regretfully missed breakfast on those days. Again, the location of the house is very convenient - only a short walk to Main Street and even less to the bus stops on Park Avenue.

A quick word about the inn keeper Deb: Deb knows Park City, the mountains, and is a great host. She truly seems to love what she is doing and it shows! Don’t miss the chance to have a conversation with her – she has some great stories….

I have recommended The Old Town Guest House to many family and friends and plan to stay again on our next visit.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2012

My wife and I very much enjoyed our stay in the Treasure Hollow room at the Old Town Guest House. This is a large room, with a large private bath, small sitting area, large bed, big windows and separate entrance. It is on the main floor just off the living room, so it might be noisy if the inn is busy. It was very quite when we were there, only one other guest. The OTGH is an easy walk to Main Street, to the incredible yoga studio "The Shop" offering Anyusara yoga, and to the "library" where the local film buffs offer quality movies. We enjoyed the large outdoor deck, the warm and tasty breakfasts, the daily home baked goodies, and the friendly atmosphere of this well appointed but relaxed inn. Especially enjoyed the outdoor sport enthusiasm of the owner Deb and her assistant Sara. They really got us excited and helped us to have some great Alpine hikes, and bike rides. We will definitely come back

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I'm a photographer and travel a lot. When I'm in Park City, I always make a point to stay here. Since I am constantly on the go, I always make a point of reviewing reservation policies due to inevitable schedule changes. I have always found Deb to be of the greatest assistance when making alterations to my schedule. It is important to understand that a reservation is a two-sided contract and the the terms should be respected and understood especially due to the size of this wonderfully cozy place where holding a reservation means turning other people away.

Room Tip: I stayed in all of them and I love each room's character. Not a bad one in the house
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business