“Amazing Yellowstone Winter Photography Workshop with Wasatch Photo Tours”

Wasatch Photo Tours - Tours and Lessons
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Join David C Schultz, award winning, internationally recognized landscape and wildlife photographer and Wasatch Mountain local on a private 1/2 or full day private photo tour with lessons. You'll explore the back-roads and trails in the Wasatch or Uinta Mountains and the Heber Valley in search of the perfect location and conditions for capturing memorable images of your visit. Lessons are geared towards exactly what skills you wish to improve. Post processing, including Photoshop and Lightroom lessons also available. Tours begin and end in nearby Heber City.
Reviewed January 25, 2017

I just completed my six day photography workshop at Yellowstone National Park with David Schultz who owns Wasatch Photo Tours. My experience on every level far exceeded my expectations and I learned so much from David.

Prior to the trip, David was extremely helpful in providing guidance on extreme cold weather clothing as well as camera gear. (It was -25 each morning when we set out). He answered my emails promptly and we had several telephone calls. Bottom line, he was always available.

I can't say enough about David's workshop/tour. He only allows two photographers per trip which is genius. I saw so many 15-30 passenger vehicles disgorging photographers all carrying tripods and monster 800mm lenses. Talk about a logistical nightmare. We were in a Chevy Tahoe with snow tracks and we could stop anywhere and anytime we wanted. If we were driving and saw something we wanted to photograph we just told the driver to “stop” and out we went to shoot or we’d just roll down the windows and shoot from the car. David's Yellowstone workshop isn't cheap but you get what you pay for. It’s important to note the price includes your hotel room, breakfast and lunch each day as well as the cost of the vehicle rental and driver. I researched and yes there are many others for much less but you get what you paid for and you're likely on the "animal house" bus. No thank you.

I highly recommend David Schultz for your next Yellowstone photography trip.

1  Thank mtlycrew
westlight, Owner at Wasatch Photo Tours - Tours and Lessons, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2017

Hi Bill! Hopefully you've warmed up by now! Thank you first for joining me on this tour and for allowing me to share Yellowstone and all the photo opportunities it provides. I also appreciate your comments, and thanks for uploading some of the photos you captured doing the trip. I'm happy that you saw the benefits of going on one of my 2 person tours as opposed to the 15+ passenger offerings out there.

Hope to cross paths again! Happy shooting and good luck with the "big lens" purchase. :-)

All reviews
"photographs"
in 36 reviews
"capture"

Reviewed November 17, 2016

Insightful two days with David ... he really upped my game as an amateur photographer ... all in the beautiful backdrop of the Wasatch Range and Heber Valley.

David S, Owner at Wasatch Photo Tours - Tours and Lessons, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2016

Hi Stan! Thank you for taking the time to place this review and thanks for the rating! Looking forward to seeing and working with you in Yellowstone this winter.

Reviewed July 17, 2016

Exploring the Grand Teton area with David was an amazing experience! The 3 days of my tour were filled with breathtaking landscapes, wildlife and so much helpful instruction. David is a very patient teacher and just a pleasure to spend time with and learn from! His knowledge of the area and where to be at what time allowed me to witness and photograph horses being round up galloping through dust right in front of me with the backdrop of the majestic Tetons. Our focus on focusing was so helpful to me and I’m still using my back focus button. Thank you so much, David!!!

David S, Owner at Wasatch Photo Tours - Tours and Lessons, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for the positive feedback! We certainly had great weather. It was wonderful to be able to show you around some of the lesser known areas around the Tetons and to be able to help you with your photography. Hope to cross paths again. Maybe Yellowstone this winter? :-) Tell everyone I said hello!

Reviewed July 12, 2016

I spent a very productive day with David Schultz. He is the kind of teacher who will tell you as little or as much as you want or are ready for. He can be a photo tour guide or a professor of wildlife and landscape photography. If you like to take pictures with your smartphone, then he’ll take you to the right places and help you with composition that make the star of your social network. If you are serious and need to refine some specific skills, then he can focus on those details too. As an amateur with my first DSLR and less than a year of practice, David helped me understand light, settings, composition, processing and most important for me on this day – where to spend my limited vacation time near Park City, Utah. It was a good day.

2  Thank BoyceFitz
David S, Owner at Wasatch Photo Tours - Tours and Lessons, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2016

Hello Boyce! I certainly appreciate the review. I'm happy to hear that the time we spent exploring the Wasatch Mountains was of such benefit to you and your photography. Not sure I can live up to the title "professor" but I'll let others decide that one! Wishing you nothing but safe travels and excellent photos.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 5, 2016

The two weeks with David far exceeded my expectations!

I am an experienced traveler and have high expectations.

Everything on this trip was professional and superb!

A Nikon Ad featuring David intrigued me to participate in a two week personalized tour.

I have to say ... David is worthy of the title "Master of his Craft".

David’s passion and enthusiasm for photography was apparent immediately.

Prior to the event I received several emails that included many useful suggestions covering concerns I was having with my camera settings and depth of field; his quick expert replies helped make our outing a successful one.

He is a very experienced and talented photographer; creative with light and colour, and has an innate sense for strong compositions.

He is very down-to-earth, personable and quickly understood where I was at in terms of my needs to get to that next level.

During the photo shoot David was always close by to answer questions and always offered suggestions.

He gave me great advice about how to extend my journey/experience.

Now after the trip, he is always available to answer my questions and has replied to several of my follow-up questions.

I highly recommend David’s tours and his company.

I will return for more! Thank you for a once-in-a-lifetime experience David!

— Doris Ferrarese

David S, Owner at Wasatch Photo Tours - Tours and Lessons, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2016

Thank you Doris for the review and for allowing me to share with you my technical knowledge of photography as well as the very important part of seeing the light and composition. Had a wonderful time exploring the coast of WA and the OR Columbia River Gorge with you. So many wonderful photo opportunities we had.

Hope to cross paths again in the future!