“A comedy of errors--Lost reservation, no pillows, shortage of towels”
Review of Silverado Lodge

Silverado Lodge
Ranked #29 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Reviewed January 28, 2014

This was our fifth time at this property, and our worst visit by a long way. After arriving, we were told that, in the changeover to Vail ownership that happened right after we reserved (months ago), they'd mis-keyed our reservation and therefore had nothing for us. This was 2 days after Christmas, so I believed them, but I was none too happy. Eventually, through a lot of negotiation between Vail's head of reservations and our travel planner, they did come up with a small one BR queen room (we had reserved a large 2BR with king beds). It was 304A, with a bedroom wall that adjoined the noisy elevator where apparently people kick the walls all night with their ski boots. The next day they moved us to a bit larger king bed one BR (handicap accessible, so much roomier floor plan, rooms 101 A-B, right on the lobby but not very noisy, considering). Still, not what we reserved and had prepaid for, but an improvement. Our child had to sleep in the worst sleeper sofa ever--may as well not have had a mattress. The front desk was unevenly staffed: The girl who was there when we checked in was hopeless. She was untrained and immature and has no business working in this industry, period. (She offered to "comp us a cot" for our child when telling us there was no second bedroom. We paid $900 a night to have our reservation lost, and she's offering to comp us a $20 cot?!) She also works at some of the other properties at the resort, God help them. The other desk help and the door staff were very, very good. The first night we asked three or four times for a pillow for our child (the one without a bed), and never got any. Shortage of towels was the buzz among the people staying there. Finally someone at the front desk confessed they just were out of them and could not get more. There also are no dressers in the bedrooms, so good luck unpacking. Trying to get a few extra coat hangers so that we might unpack was a challenge, but one that we eventually conquered after many complaints. I will say that Vail's management eventually credited us quite a bit against the cost of our expensive stay for the inconvenience, and that helped me feel better, but the overall experience left a very bad taste in my mouth. The property's manager, whom we met on the second day, was kind and helpful, but there's only so much he can do in a situation where he has a reservation and no rooms. I hope that once they've managed the property longer, they'll work these bugs out. The property has always been a favorite of ours, but they've got a long way to go to get back to where they used to be.

Room Tip: Do not get room 304A as it is right next to the elevator and you won't get much sleep.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Susanne H

Reviewed January 26, 2014

So we stayed in room 001B. The room was probably the tiniest room I have stayed in in 40 years of travel. The furnishings were upscale- if they were there at all! What I mean is- NO DRESSER because there wasn't enough room for one! No waste basket in the bathroom- because THERE WASN'T ENOUGH ROOM FOR ONE! (OK, they stashed one under the sink, but there was no room on the floor). Just unbelievably tiny. And we paid $300 for this room! (although it was during the Sundance festival dates).

ALSO, when we arrived: the toilet flush mechanism was disconnected, the bulb above the shower was out, and there were no batteries in the TV remote.

It is clear from other reviews that there must be accommodations with much more room. However, when we asked to switch, the staff told us that all rooms were the same size! (NOT).

So be very careful about what you sign up for with this property.

By the way, the staff was very nice about addressing the 3 issues mentioned above (toilet, batteries, bulb), and even left us a very nice cheese plate in our room on the second day- but being nice in response does not excuse the problems that should never have occurred. And if you do not have a touch of claustrophobia-- you may after staying in room 001B!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Let me first say this is a nice hotel on the Canyons property and exactly what you would expect in a nice loge style hotel on a ski resort. We rented two three room suites and they were roomy, clean and well maintained. That said there were three issues that this hotel could fix easily and I'm somewhat amazed they were not paying attention to the details. 1) The TV's in the suite were laughable. They were so small and difficult to use we were really disappointed when we wanted to catch the game. Honestly these TVs were so cheap I doubt you could buy them at Wallmart. For a resort of this caliber/price these should be replaced immediately. 2) No water pressure... and I truly mean none. Taking a shower was like camping and this was consistent across both suites in 8 bathrooms. 3) This is NOT ski on/ski off. Why they have no simple trail down to this and the other hotels is a mystery but there is a shuttle that will take you up the hill. Although very efficient at taking you on the mountain you end up walking back down every time and there is not even a good sidewalk let alone it is too difficult to do it in ski boots. The resort needs to have a consistent stop for the shuttle that is reliable as every time the shuttle dropped us off in a different place and we always had to walk back. This would have been miserable if I was with my kids. 4) they need an ATM in the lobby of this hotel. The only ATM available is in the other hotels and a significant walk

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I have stayed here for a couple of times for conference. The room were good, kitchen were well equipped, good selection of cable tv and beautiful view of Park City valley from room's balcony. The bathroom is clean and huge. Staff were great and helpful. The hotel location in The Canyons makes it easy to access to Walmart, Tangers outlet & Park City main street via free shuttle bus. The hotel could be better if they could have a restaurant which serve breakfast/dinner.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 13, 2013

For five days, I stayed in a three bedroom--three bathroom suite with full kitchen, living room, washer/dryer, and balcony. The room was very clean, quiet, comfortable, and well furnished. I had seen the lodge rated with three stars when other big name places had full star ratings and overly expensive prices. Regardless, I decided to stay at the lodge thinking that I would get an average room and experience. Instead, I ended up having a better room and experience than when I was in Aspen, CO. Safety was never an issue, and parking was always convenient and within an enclosed garage. Daily, the friendly cleaning staff made sure that the room was returned to its cleanliness and well-stocked state, without having to be asked. I felt as if the Silverado Lodge made an investment in my stay, rather than just having my wallet make an investment towards their bottom line. I would highly recommend this place to anyone--HIGHLY recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Jimmy P
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Great rooms; my room was a 2-floor thing with kitchen, two fireplaces, two TVs etc. Nice mountain view, although the parking in the back takes away some of the breathtaking beauty of the mountains in autumn colors (green, yellow, red, orange, pink, and white all mixed). We got great off-peak-season conference rates so I suspect this room is probably a lot more expensive during skiing season.

Last year I stayed in nearby Sundial Lodge (part of the same resort), which is also great, but Silverado's rooms are a notch better. Service at both places is great; the staff is friendly and helpful.

The indoor parking is a plus from a security perspective.

I have attached a few photos from my room (and the view from my room). Enjoy!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Ok place. Bad pillows, bed comfortable. Unattended desk upon arrival. Did not clean up coffee service the first day, called and asked for a clean service, never came. More staff and this could be an easy 4 star.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business