“Ski trip to Deer Valley”

The Chateaux Deer Valley
Ranked #10 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My first visit here. The Chateaux provided all I could want for a Deer Valley ski vacation: luxurous room, fast and free breakfast, easy walk to skiing, shuttle van, and most of all, friendly, courteous, and helpful staff - at all levels. Plus the price point was reasonable for Deer Valley. We will likely return next year for a second year at Deer Valley. The mountain ain't shabby either. Regards to Jacqi and thanks so much.

David

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank David48435

Reviewed March 6, 2013

It was my first time staying at the hotel and I was in town for a weekend father/son ski trip. Check-in was a breeze (I booked my trip directly with the hotel in advance for a two-night package that included lift tickets and breakfast, and Kathie the concierge was very helpful with airport transportation arrangements to/from SLC). Location was very convenient, easy walking distance (75 yards, no problem event with ski boots on) to three mid-mountain lifts. An available shuttle took us to dinner at J&G Grill in the St. Regis so a car was superfluous. It's true that our room was in a second building separated by an underground garage, but I appreciated the protection from the weather and it wasn't a big deal. Ski rentals right in the building. Room was great -- more than enough space for two people and furnishings were fresh, not tired. My only knock is food service: there is no breakfast room service, and the workflow during breakfast in Cena, their restaurant, was dumb. The buffet table was in a corner right next to the kitchen doors, and I felt like I was playing Frogger dodging the kitchen staff (whose unnecessary hustle conveyed panic rather than professionalism) while jockeying for position with other diners. The food was good, so if they could move the buffet table and tell the staff to relax, that would be nice. Better still would be a breakfast room service option. I will definitely stay at the Chateaux again and would recommend it to friends and family who can afford it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Checked in at the Chateaux and things not going well. My wife booked a four day ski vacation for my daughter and I and prepaid for 2 days rentals and lift tickets. Like many resorts during peak season there are strict cancellation rules so the whole stay was prepaid at time of booking. During check in I was advised we had two days at a package rate and two days at the rack rate. I was told the package rate included two lift passes for my daughter and I and I was even asked to sign a separate form acknowledging receipt of the lift tickets. Then was directed across the lobby to the ski shop to get fitted for skis when ready. After lunch our room still wasn't quite ready so went to ski shop to be fitted. I was asked if we had a reservation and I answered that our rentals had been arranged through the Chateaux. I was then told that the shop doesn't do any rentals through the hotel. We were fitted for skis and then charged two days rental. When our room was ready and we were checked I opened my package and found a voucher for two days ski rental. So neither the hotel desk staff or the ski shop staff seem to know what's included or how things are supposed to work between the two businesses. When I went back to the shop with the voucher I got a whole lot of attitude from the manager like "if you don't show him the voucher he doesn't know you're through the hotel" Really? How about saying "our ski rentals are through the hotel". Not enough of a clue? How about the fact there's a room charge already recorded in the system and clearly visible to the shop? I've encountered that attitude a few times before with outfitters associated with resorts. They consider themselves expert fly fishers, skiers, sailors or whatever, they assume the resort guests are neophytes and seem to resent the fact their business is dependent on those doltish guests. Whatever. I'm reserving judgement on the Chateaux until the end of our stay but I would steer clear of Arcs Ski n See.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank JAB010383
ggendron, General Manager at The Chateaux Deer Valley, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your post and please accept our apologies for the frustration you experienced upon check in with ski rentals. Due to your feedback, we have reviewed our arrival process and have made reviewing of the ski rental vouchers for the ski shop a point of emphasis moving forward.

I hope that the remainder of your visit went well and look forward to your comments regarding your overall experience at The Chateaux Deer Valley.

Respectfully,

Greg Gendron
Hotel Manager

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I recently stayed at the Chateaux from Feb 13-17, 2013. This was my first time staying at this property. I must admit I was super impressed. This kind of praise for a hotel stay does not come often from me as I am seasoned traveler for business and pleasure. First off, the location of this property is awesome and close to the mountain if you are skiiing. The hotel was very nice and really had that luxury ski lodge vibe. The room was clean, with a large bathroom, mini kitchenette including a microwave and small fridge. My room had a cozy fireplace which was great to turn on after a day of skiing. My great experience actually stemmed from the amazing level of service. Front desk staff were super cheerful and helpful. The courtesy shuttle dude was excellent and timely. He made sure I was dropped off to the right restaurant on main street and would even come get me when I was ready. The staff in the restaurant and the bar within the hotel were super cool and friendly as well. All the staff really made an effort to know who you were and to be as helpful as possible. The level of service was akin to my expectations of staying at the Four Seasons - on this trip, the people at the Chateaux exceeded my expectations in almost every way possible. A very nice suprise for this seasoned traveler.

Room Tip: I would get a room with a fireplace - so nice after being outside all day.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

The room was extremely small and the room was located separate from the main building so you had to walk through the underground garage to get anywhere. The ceiling was peeling in the bathroom and just looked unkept and old. The blowdryer in the room also didn't work. For $400 a night all of this is absolutely unacceptable. The service was pretty good considering everything else. The ski hill is just a short walk across the street so that wasn't bad.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank aabarton
ggendron, General Manager at The Chateaux Deer Valley, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Dear aabarton,

Thank you for your review and for your positive comments regarding our service and easy access to Deer Valley Resort, both of which are certainly pillars of our success.

Please accept our apologies for the room and its accessibility not being to your liking. We should have done a better job in showing you how to access all of our rooms through our outdoor courtyard that has a beautiful water fountain and outdoor fire ring.

Please come back to visit us again as I am certain given another chance we will exceed your expectations.

Respectfully,

Greg Gendron
Hotel Manager
The Chateaux Deer Valley

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed Feb 20-25 at the Chateau in Unit 399, a one bedroom condo overlooking a pool and hot tub. It had a fully equipped kitchen, that we did not use, but admired for its snazzy appliances. The two gas fireplaces created a nice ambiance, particularly for the snowy day we stayed indoors. There were a couple of room issues that were brought to the front desk, but resolved immediately. The service was spot-on. Everyone from the front desk, the concierge, the bar/wait staff to the ski rental shop were friendly and made us feel special. The morning breakfast could not have been better. We like a healthy and hearty breakfast and the Chateau's was exceptional. The location in Deer Valley to the lift was great. The driver service rounded out the excellence of the stay. No matter where you wanted to go, you could get there. No need for a vehicle. And All Resort Shuttle services the Chateau, making for seamless service from the airport. A shout out to all staff - your cheerfulness goes a long way. We will return!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I own a business in Denver and recently took our company (5 of us) to The Chateaux for our annual company vacation. From the moment we arrived the staff took care of our every need ranging from ski valet, concierge, housekeeping and bar/wait staff. We dealt with the same people every day and they were personable and courteous. They set the tone for our trip and seemed like friends by the time we left. We rented a three bedroom suite that had all the amenities we needed and was perfect for a group of our size. Every morning we started off with the buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant and the food was delicious. It was a great way to kick off a day of skiing. As great as the breakfast was to start the day, the hotel bar was the perfect place to come unwind after a day of skiing and the 200 yard walk from the base of Deer Valley Resort. The bar had live music in the late afternoon and the bar staff were great.

This was my first trip to Park City and Deer Valley in particular and the Chateaux was recommended to me by a very close friend. I have every intention of coming back and would love to bring my family next time. If you want a luxury hotel that looks after all of your needs but with a down to earth, friendly attitude, then this is the place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends