“Amazing stay!!”

Ranked #25 of 60 Hotels in Park City
New York, NY
“Amazing stay!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Amazing stay in every way. The staff was attentive and accommodating to a T. The property is small and intimate, and stunningly decorated. I've also stayed in the Goldener Hirsch in Austria and can say that this one has done a wonderful job emulating that style and making it feel like an authentic European ski resort right here in the US.

It's VERY close to the slopes, the staff will drive you around to Park City and will recommend great restaurants. The rooms are spacious with fire places and balconies, and the beds are very comfortable. Huge bathrooms. I am already dying to go back!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We normally rent a condo in Deer Valley, but we found a great deal on the internet for GH for a late season family ski trip. GH is a small, Austrian ski inn type experience. It is mid-mountain right next to the Stein Erickson lodge. It is easy walking distance to the slopes and ski lifts.

We had a suite which contained a separate bedroom for us and the kids slept on a fold out sofa in the living room. It was sufficiently large for the 4 of us, and the extra space was helpful for a week long trip. The rooms/furniture are a little dated and traditional, but that was consistent with our expectations for a small Austrian style inn. Amenities also are limited--no pool, workout facility (although there is a stairmaster), etc.

Although we missed the convenience of a kitchen, GH serves an extraordinarily large breakfast every morning. The food both at breakfast and dinner was very good. Dinner was, however, expensive, so we ate out in Park City most of the time. It's convenient to have a car because GH has a garage under the building and does not charge extra for parking.

The staff was exceptionally good and really made our stay a pleasurable experience. They went out of their way to help us and make us feel comfortable. They would always be available to help with ski gear, answer questions, drive us to town, and accommodate our requests. It's what distinguishes this kind of small inn from a much larger hotel with more amenities.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JDH1975
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

This place is beyond contrived with the decor, but quite a fun stay. I must say, if you are looking for an Austrian experience, go to Austria not Utah. We had a deluxe room which had a beautiful bed, a sitting area with a fireplace, a balcony and a very large bathroom with a luxurious air tub and a separate extra large shower, as well as two large flat screen tvs. The service at this hotel is outstanding. The feeling of this hotel is more of a large bed and breakfast where the front desk staff member shows you to your room. The continental breakfast is small, but delicious. The area surrounding the hotel is fun to walk around and shop, and Park City is not too far of a drive. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Two couples in our family went to the Goldener Hirsch Inn at different times in 2012. Both couples stayed two nights. I, and my bro-in-law, both reported not being totally comfortable in the beds. I was OK but my hips were a little sore in the mooring (maybe I’m getting old – 54- but at home I’m more comfortable). The beds don’t have box springs. More of a European style mattress on wood slats. That would be the single reason I would not go back but if a good enough deal came up I would still go back because I really like the ambiance of the hotel. I think the deal was around $300 for two nights including 1 meal for 2 and commentary continental type breakfasts (retail $9 each). The meal didn’t cover tax and tip. Both couples had about $20 added to the bill at checkout (in addition to meal tax and tip) that we didn’t question but didn’t understand. Maybe it was tax on the room. Just a note to be aware of unexpected costs if you’re doing a promo option.

The food was good but not as outstanding as the non-discounted price should indicate it would be. I’ve had very enjoyable food at less expense restaurants (2/3 less expensive) that I want to go back to. If I was paying regular price at their restraint, the price relative to how much I enjoyed the meal would send me elsewhere.

The staff was great overall! However, a personal medical need arouse in our family and we asked for the ability to pick a different date or get a refund. Management was not open to flexibly. So be aware of that inflexibility. The nature of our medical problems was a 5 yr old with vomiting and potential strep (my wife had had strep previously, I was diagnosed that week and we took our son to the Dr the day of our reservation). It was not a trivial move to try to swap our reservation. It was for our 10th anniversary and the stay was a gift from a sibling – so who would want to disappoint a spouse and waste a siblings pricey gift.

On a personal note, the serving staff dealing with the meals was a bit reserved. More like servants than comfortable with customers unless the customer engaged them. I’m uncomfortable being treated in a distant formally way. I was glad I could engage them and they were happy to respond. My conclusion is their emotional distance was probalby part of their job expectation.

That pretty much summed up the experience. A great place, great ambiance, staff I liked but policies that were unyielding.

Room Tip: Our room was L shapped, Looked and felt nice. Sisters was rectangular and was not as nice feeling.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbia, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

My second visit to Goldener Hirsch Inn (Chateau), and I enjoyed my visit even more the second time around. I received a warm welcome, complemented by service of excellence. Staff members were above all courteous and very professional. They honored my request to stay in the same room, and made my stay very enjoyable. This time around I had my colleagues join me, as I wanted them to experience the beautiful place. They too were equally impressed by the graciousness of the staff, cleanliness of the hotel and superb in-house cuisine with exquisite wine list. I am looking forward to visiting again and highly recommend to all travelers to discover this amazing and magnificent Chateau in Deer Valley, Utah.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

The Goldener Hirsch was a delightful place to spend a couple of nights near Park City, Utah. The small hotel looks like it was picked up by a giant helicopter in Salzburg and set down in Deer Valley on the mountains above Park City. The exterior and interior authentically created an Austrian experience with antiques and realistic restorations of Austrian painted furniture in every room and public area. The restaurant offered an authenic Austrian menu with plenty of American choices and a great wine list. Service was impeccable and attentive.

I was there with my wife, daughter and 4 year old grandson. We had adjoining rooms with a private foyer which made for a suite like situation though the rooms did not open into each other. Our room was larger with a sitting area which made it more like a suite. As other reviewers have noted, the bedding was truly luxurious.

We were there off season (they were closing the next day to reopen when skiing begins) so the village in which the hotel is located was for all practical purposes closed already--no people, most stores closed, etc. With no restaurants open in the village and downtown Park City being at least a mile away--straight down--walking to food and entertainment was not practical, but we expected this at this time of year. We did spend time in Park City and found it to be delightful, too, with lots of great restaurants and shops.

A good experience, but certainly a fabulous experience at the height of the ski season!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel in a gorgeous location. We loved the traditional Austrian decor, our spacious room, and our super comfy bed with crisp white linens. The entire staff treated us great. Everything was clean and exceeded our expectations.

The hotel restaurant is amazing! We can't remember when we last had such a delicious meal. We had the cheese fondue, Halibut "Chowder" and Wagyu Beef, and the apple strudel and chocolate souffle for dessert. Every mouthful to die for!

We can't wait to go back! But this time we will plan less time out and about and more time enjoying our comfy accommodations!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple