“Great place, but the service needs to improve” 4 of 5 stars

Hyatt Centric Park City
Ranked #9 of 60 Hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersGold level
Salt Lake City
“Great place, but the service needs to improve”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

My wife and/or family and I stay in Park City 4-7 times and this was our first time staying here. I chose this property because we were looking for something nice and I did not want to pay the $1000 plus per night for one of our favorites. For PC at this time of year, this resort was priced reasonably for being on the MTN on a ski in/out situation. The resort is gorgeous and the rooms (we saw 2), were big, clean, beautiful and amazing to stay in. I give the rooms an easy 5 stars. The service I would give 1 star and say it needs some serious work. The resort seemed was poorly managed and employees were lost, confused and/or disinterested. Here are some examples:
1. When I check in they gave us a room without a bed... yes very weird. When I called the front desk on this, they did come through with great customer service on this issue and got us moved promptly and upgraded us.
2. The kids running the valet were disinterested and unwelcoming (even though I was a very good tipper).
3. The ski valet was busy and we watched them tell people to carry their own skis up to the second floor and drop them off.
4. We signed up for a spa package on the Hyatt web site. When I called to find out where on the resort it was located and found that they did not have a spa on-site. I asked where I was going and they did not know. This was frustrating and the web site said nothing of this when signing up. We did find it at another hotel, but we were late because of the situation.
5. The fitness center was located in another building adjacent to the one that we were staying in. I got up early and went to work out and there were no hooks to hang your jacket. So I took mine and folded it up on a table that had nothing on it. One of the employees came in to get something and saw my jacket and placed it on the floor without talking to me. Very rude.
6. When it was time to go, I called the front desk to check out and the guy said that I have ti come to the front desk to check out. I had paid for my room in full and charged nothing to my room, so I asked why. He placed me on hold for over 5 minutes, and never came back. I finally hung up. I stay in hotels every month of the year and this is the first place that has ever told me I can not check out by phone. Pretty pathetic.

Even with all of that, the room was so nice I plan to try the place again. I am just hoping for an improved service experience.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank housermania

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

We stayed in one of the 3BR, 3.5 bath suites, which was very nice and roomy. The kitchen/living area was open concept and very inviting, and there were 2 separate decks off of the unit. The fitness center was decent, as was the hot tub/pool area. The only downside is the fact that the staff is very young, and at times, not as attentive to the minor details that separate the good from the best. Service was prompt when requested, but when you stay at a place like this, and pay the price you're paying, you expect some of these things to be proactive vs. reactive. Had a minor glitch with some ski equipment at the Ski Valet that cost us a few hours of skiing one day, but overall a decent place to stay. It could be so much better if/when they tighten up some of their processes/procedures. "Provisions" store was nice to have for some essentials, but a full restaurant/bar will be welcome once it's completed later this year.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MikeMNh
Norman, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

This resort was amazing. We stayed in the 3 bedroom suite on the 6th floor. The rooms were great; however, I certainly agree with everyone elses reviews. The lighting in the bedrooms is TERRIBLE. During the day, it's not an issue at all because there are tons of windows with great light. At night, it is so dark in the rooms that you can't distinguish the different items of clothing in your suitcase. That is absolutely the ONLY thing I have negative to say about Escala. Every afternoon when you come in off the lifts you are greeted with warm cookies. We never waited more than 2-3 minutes for the shuttle. The staff was extremely helpful with whatever we needed. There is a front loading washer and dryer in the 3 bedroom suite (don't remember seeing that online) and enough detergent and softner to do a ton of laundry. I found this EXTREMELY helpful. Really lessened the laundry burden when we got home. Overall the experience was amazing. We didn't want to leave. We will definitely go back next year!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

Ski in Ski out was easy and a 2 minute walk from Canyons Base. Shame there is no restaurant or bar - that would give a bit more of a personality to the place. Having said that, the apartments are fantastic (a little more light please?). We lacked a few bits of basic crockery but a call to reception rectified this almost immediately. The Ski valet is great and if you are thinking of skiing in Deer Valley (highly recommended) or Park City, they can arrange a taxi for a flat rate of $15. The shop on the ground floor is basic but does do a good coffee (difficult to come by anywhere else other than Deer Valley!!) Would recommend this to anyone coming to the Canyons.

Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

Used Hyatt points, stayed 2 nights in a King room. Interesting that there is no information about the rooms about the hotel or the area. Must be because Hyatt just took over? Not sure how long it will take to get this up and running like a hotel. Ski Valet on sight very nice; outdoor pool area nice; locker rooms nice. Room had poor lighting for reading, as previously noted, hard to control temp with thermostat. Comfy bed and bath. Very close to "Newpark" area just down the road, had nice meals at "Good Thymes". Mountain was nice, not too crowded, a bit too many narrow runs for snowboarders. Posting pics of fitness area; room, since there were not many posted. Enjoy

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy D
Morristown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

We were fortunate to get an upgraded room from the front desk and stayed in a 1 bedroom, 2 bath suite with a gorgeous kitchen. The ski in/ ski out location is super! You can rent skis onsite with the ski valet, the gym was very clean and the jacuzzi super after a day of skiing. We loved skiing the Canyons - it's very big with some good terrain. The service was really good at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Hoboken, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

My wife & I just returned from Hyatt Escala Lodge. We loved the place. We are Hyatt Platinum members in their Gold Passport program, and it helped us to get an upgrade to a gorgeous suite - even though were did not pay to stay there, we used out Hyatt points. So, that was a great bonus!!

The room/suite was great. Location is awesome - right there next to the lift to the Canyons resort. Literally ski out about 50ft to the lift. They also provided car service to the very nearby Sundial lodge where you can get dropped off & picked up to go skiing. About a 20 second drive away, but necessary when you are full of ski gear.

I would say everyone was super nice to deal with. But there were some niggling things about the service which made me give 4 stars instead of 5 stars - such as, there was only one robe in the room, we called & asked for a second robe. It was delivered promptly. But the next day when I tried to use it, I realized it was missing the belt to close it. I called down & asked for it - it never came. Next day I asked the housekeeper for a new robe, she said "Right Away" - but it never came. Third day I made it clear to the front desk that I was irritated that I never got one - and it arrived in 5 minutes. It was not really a big deal, but it was just not what I hoped for.

Also, the ski valets seemed overwhelmed. On our last day there, when we tried to hand him our ski/snowboard - he asked if we can take it up to the 2nd floor ski shop/storage facility ourselves since he is swamped. Huh?? Not what you expect to hear.

i know this place only recently opened up as a Hyatt - and I believe that perhaps they are not as fully trained & experienced as they could be, so we were pretty easy going since we had so much fun skiing/snowboarding there.

They do not have a restaurant on site, just a "pantry" store of sorts. We never used it. We had an SUV rented and went into town for dinners. El Chubasco was a great authentic Mexican restaurant hat we really enjoyed. Also, be aware that my GPS that I brought with me is less than a year old, but could not seem to find the Hyatt's address. So, bring their phone number with you to be sure you can contact them in case your GPS does the same. I think it is a very newly developed area. The front desk was able to help me. Also, we had a very good experience at the Canyons Resort spa.

I doubt you would be disappointed if you stayed here!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple