“A "do it yourself" kind of place--but nice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Centric Park City
Ranked #5 of 60 Hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersGold level
Tinley Park, Illinois
“A "do it yourself" kind of place--but nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

First of all, the name of this place is the Hyatt Escala LODGE, not the Hyatt Escala Resort, or the Hyatt Escala Hotel. It's a very nice place, but it's more of a condo timeshare than a full service hotel. So don't expect lots of restaurant choices or room service. Aside from that, it is a very nice property, and located within short driving distance to historic Park City and also to the Redstone shopping area and outlet mall. We had a standard room, which consisted of a king size bed, fireplace, flat screen TV, microwave, small refrigerator, coffee maker. Nice bathroom with separate bathtub and shower. We did not use the pool or hottub due to drizzly November weather, but I could see myself sitting out there in the wintertime, with the snow slowly drifting downward. Front Desk service was A+--they were super accomodating. We kept our rental car in the enclosed garage, and just had to call the valet to retrieve it for us. Parking was free. NOTE: You may need to call the hotel for exact directions on how to get there--they said most GPS units (our included) did not recognize the address we put in.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I understand Hyatt just picked this property up about a year ago, and so I will give them a little slack, but how can there be no room service??? Let me repeat that - there's no room service. To make matters worse, there is only one restaurant unless you walk down the hill to the other lodges. About that walk down the hill... how can there be no sidewalk??? I really didn't enjoy having to dodge cars to get down to the shops and ski area. That's not really safe for adults, much less for my 4 year old who doesn't think to turn around and check every 2 seconds to see if cars are coming.

Now that I got that off my chest, let me say that the room we stayed in was very nice and very reasonably priced. However, the screaming kids at the pool kept us up until well past midnight on the first night. The pool noise wasn't as bad on the other nights but was still a bit of a nuisance at times. The ski-in/ski-out feature was not operating, due to weather, so it wasn't the hotel's fault. But again, that required us to travel back down the hill and through the dodgecar game to get to the lifts that were in operation.

The location sucks in my opinion because you need a car to get to food, shops and anything other than skiing in the Canyons. Going to Park City requires a trip in the house car down to the parking lot of the 7-11 where a city bus eventually picks you up and brings you to town. Then, when you return, you have to call the hotel to come pick you up at the 7-11 again. This is no way to travel. Definitely rent a car if you do stay here so that you can go eat at restaurants when you want without having to wait outside in the freezing cold for a bus.

My overall impression is that this could be a really awesome place but that it just needs a lot of work to get there. Hopefully Hyatt can make some magic happen. But until they do, we'll be staying in Deer Valley. If I did stay at the Canyons again, it would be at the hotel (can't remember the name but I think it was the Sundial Lodge) because it's right next to the ski shops, restaurants, and the gondola.

Room Tip: Choose a suite but make sure it's not near the pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank supersnivs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed for three nights at the end of November. Nothing but good things to say about the property itself. It is a beautiful building in a great location, but the customer service was not up to Hyatt standards. We checked in late afternoon and as soon as we entered the room saw that there was a man standing on a ladder staring in the window at us. He then proceeded to hammer and saw on the roof above our fourth floor room until we called to complain. Next we ordered a crib for our daughter and it took two phone calls and over two hours to deliver to the room. Also for our whole stay there was only one valet working so when you arrived back at the hotel you had to leave your car unattended with the keys in it to go track someone down to park your car. Overall it was not one big thing, but a whole bunch of small nuisances that added up to a mediocre experience. All of the people working there were very friendly and helpful, it was just that they seemed very understaffed. We also stayed at the Waldorf Astoria down the street and had a wonderful experience so I would recommend that as an alternative.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed in the 3 bedroom end unit. The huge wrap around deck was pretty amazing. The main lift for the mountain was just below us. It was a beautiful hotel both inside and out. The rooms and kitchens and bathrooms were nice. Probably one of the nicest hotel rooms our family has ever stayed in. My only complaint was that the pool was a bit on the small side.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
habbenb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

My girlfriend booked this for what had to be the best birthday gift for me last year.

We were lucky enough to have a light snowfall greet us as we pulled up to the Hyatt Escala. The inside makes you feel like you are in an amazing log cabin, you do not get the feel of a hotel and the front desk was extremely pleasant.

The room we stayed in was more than we could possibly expect. We walked into a complete kitchen, dining table, fireplace, couch, Plasma tv and a Washer/Dryer room. It also had a separate bedroom and bathroom.

Our day consisted of waking up, going down to their in house restaurant and having one of the freshest breakfasts we have had in a long time. Then hitting the slopes, this was accomplished by simply walking out the back door and onto a ski lift that takes you to the main entrance of Canyons.

The mountain was amazing, we enjoyed every aspect of it. If you are a beginner or semi beginner there is an unknown secret to Canyons. Don't get a lift ticket or ski equipment! Instead sign up for Canyons Ski School. For $99.00 you get: Ski Lessons, a lift ticket and equipment rental. The cost of the lift ticket alone is $99.00. If you are not an experienced skier/snowboarder take the lessons. They were invaluable!

When we were done for the day we came back to our amazing room, changed into our bathing suits and headed to the hot tub with some drinks to finish off the day.

If you happen to need anything while you are staying there, they have a house car that will take you to a near by 7-11 or to the Canyons Ski Resort main entrance that has many restaurants, bars and shops.

5* Stay all the way around.

Room Tip: This is a condo hotel so you may find a better deal on c.list...than by calling front desk.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank habbenb
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed there with my family and it was amazing, the atmosphere was just wonderful. My kids loved it and the staff was super friendly and helpful. The restaurant must be new it had not been there a few years back and the food was fantastic, my wife loved the salmon salad. Rooms are very new and are great. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. I meet the manager and she even let us check out late because our flight was in the evening... customer service at it's finest... Memorials.com highly recommends this hotel.

Room Tip: The higher you are the better the view...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had simply booked the least inexpensive hotel for my last day/night in Park City as my business trip only covered my conference portion of my stay. Upon entering my room, I immediately regretted not paying to stay here for my entire stay..and willingly from my own pocket, too! The service was fabulous and the rooms breathtakingly amazing!! I can't even put into words how incredible this place was! Truly the best place I've ever stayed and I've traveled to many different locations around the globe! The saddest part was that I was only there for one night and I didn't have my better half with me to share the experience with.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business