“Be Prepared to have your Breath Taken Away!!! Mountain Luxury at its Finest!”

Ranked #2 of 60 Hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Golden, Colorado
“Be Prepared to have your Breath Taken Away!!! Mountain Luxury at its Finest!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

Our family recently met in Park City/Deer Valley over the 4th of July, and called the Montage home for a week- and what an amazing week it was. Be prepared to feel like you were taken away to an enchanted castle in the mountains.

5 star service started the minute we arrived at the resort, as a message from the bellman to the front desk signaled the greeter to meet us in the lobby, who welcomed our family, with keys ready- gave us a brief tour, recorded all of our information on an I-pad, and showed us to our gorgeous room. It was a very personal and impressive touch.

For a group of 5, the set-up of the rooms and the options you have for connecting units is fantastic. One main door allowed access to our 2-connecting suites. The mountain-classy room decor, gorgeous bathrooms and extremely comfortable beds made you look forward to getting back to the room after a long day outside exploring the mountains (not to mention there were delicious truffles left bedside each night!) Our particular room overlooked the pool on the ground level and had a beautiful stone patio, where we enjoyed our evenings. Not only is the main pool and 3 hot tubs beautiful, but they're open 24/7! Hot robes even await your exit from the pool. Could possibly also be the most comfortable pool lounge chairs that I've ever enoucntered. If you dont feel like an outdoor swim- the Spa's pool will literally take your breath away. Feel like being impressed even further?- head to the Spa even if just to utilize the steam room, sauna, and whirl pool. The 3 ladies of our group definitely felt like royalty after taking an hour to enjoy the spa ammenities! So many extra special touches that you have to experience for yourself!!!

Also- make sure you're at the resort at 8pm each night for the fireside smore parties that both adults and kids will love! Delicious house-made marshmellows in a variety of flavors and gourment hot chocolate. Who can pass us a delicious carmel or mocha smore while enjoying the gorgeous mountain view and socializing with the other guests?! Nightly entertainment can be found in the restaurants and in the main "sitting room." Dont let my title of sitting room fool you- this may be the grandest and most impressive social gathering space I've ever spent time in. From the spectacular fireplaces, oversized leather couches, pool tables, high ceilings and large floor to ceiling windows and doors, allowing access to either the pool side of breath-taking valley view side, it's a perfect space to enjoy a family game of pool or enjoy a glass of wine fireside while enjoying the entertainment.

The Montage makes getting to Park City effortless and the staff will see that complimentary transporation is arranged for the 10-15 minute drive down the mountain. The valet staff was extremely attentive, friendly and professional.

Also- For dining- I highly reccomend Burgers and Bourbon. The burgers are delicious- gourmet- and creative. Hike a couple extra miles too so you can try out a bourbon milk shake! You will not be dissapointed. Feel like bowling a game while enjoying delicious pizza? The Montage can offer this. Feel like experiencing fine dining fireside- the Montage can do this as well.

I could continue on and on with nothing but amazing things to stay about the Montage Deer Valley. The resort will take your breath away and the staff will see to your every need. The only problem is that you eventually have to leave, and the time you spent there will feel dream-like, SO please enjoy every minute of the enchantment and the time you'r able to spend in this mountain resort with your loved ones.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
MontageDeerValley, Manager at Montage Deer Valley, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Kelly H:

Thank you for your truly glowing review of Montage Deer Valley and for taking the time to share your observations with TripAdvisor members. We strive to provide families with unforgettable memories and your comments let us know that we are on the right track. I will be sharing your words with all of our teams - from guest relations at check in to Daly's Pub & Rec, the Alpine Pool Deck, Burgers & Bourbon, Spa Montage, our transportation team and, of course, our VISTA LOUNGE - the 'sitting room' that is the entertainment hub of our resort. Knowing that the accommodations, service levels and amenities allowed you and your loved ones to share in the beauty of Park City this summer means the world to us and we very much hope to have the opportunity to welcome all of you back to our 'enchanted castle in the mountains' in a future season.

Sincerely yours,

Montage Deer Valley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
chester county
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

Montage is a posh joint that costs a lot. Nice rooms w fireplaces etc etc. But the food is just so-so. Certainly not on par with the hotel. For example an ala carte breakfast was served with soggy "breakfast potatoes" that had been sitting in a steamer for hours. Or three burgers, one order of fries, two sodas and a bourbon came to $100+. Burgers were just OK. But at that price I expect more. Eat in town.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank hockessin1
Dear hockessin1:

Thank you for joining us and for taking the time to share your comments with TripAdvisor members. We are truly grateful that you enjoyed our luxury resort and that you found our rooms (and fireplaces) to be satisfying and meeting your standards and expectations. I'm sorry to read that you didn't find your dining experiences to be on par and I would like to personally invite you back to enjoy Burgers & Bourbon and a morning breakfast meal with our compliments on a future visit so that we can demonstrate quality that meets and exceeds your expectations. Thank you again for staying with us and we would very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in a future season.

Yours sincerely,

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

Spectacular is the word my friends and I used over and over during our recent trip! The property along with the vistas are amazing. Luxurious without being stuffy or pretentious. The property has wonderful amenities and on site activities. The rooms were large with fabulously comfortable beds, fireplace and sitting area, and sunken tub and glorious shower. All the elegant touches including turn down service, pampered indeed. The concierge helped us with day trips and activities outside the property which included rafting and hiking at Sundance. After our activities in the morning, a relaxing afternoon by the pool and a cocktail, was the perfect way to end our day! Not sure everyone knows about Deer Valley and Park City as a summer setting but the weather and activities were amazing. Finally, the staff was efficient, earnest and friendly, I would recommend this property to anyone that wants a spectacular summer vacation!

Room Tip: I love the grand lawn side of the hotel so you can see the mountains for miles.
Green Features: They are environmentally friendly! Linen and bedding reuse policy. Compost practices. Energy efficient appliances! Organic, local food practices.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear LLD18:

THANK YOU for taking the time to share your truly 'spectacular' review of our resort with TripAdvisor members. We appreciate your comments about our spacious rooms and baths, recreation, amenities, and especially your comments about our concierge and our 'earnest and friendly staff.' Most importantly, we are grateful that you noted how 'spectacular' Park City truly is in the summer. The water sports, hiking, rafting and our perfect weather make for a truly sublime getaway. We are best known for our winter sports, but our summers are as perfect as it comes and we are so happy that you were able to join us. We look forward to welcoming you and yours back again next summer!

Lithia, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

When I first pulled up to the Montage Deer Valley my breath was taken away by the natural beauty of the area. The resort is nestled among the scenic mountains of Utah and had a special feel right from the beginning. My pleasurable experience did not end with the natural sights. The service that I encountered during my stay was fantastic. The staff was extremely polite and always willing to help. The rooms were in prestine conditioned and taken care of constantly. The many amenities and restaurants left me plenty to do during my stay. Overall, the Montage Deer Valley was a very special resort and I would not hesitate coming back again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
MontageDeerValley, Manager at Montage Deer Valley, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Jacob M:

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with TripAdvisor members. We appreciate your comments about the beautiful setting of the resort and the quality of the guest rooms as well as the restaurants and recreation/amenities. Of course, it is your comments about our service levels that mean the most to us, as they let us know we are on the right track in presenting the highest quality guest experience that we can. We would very much look forward to welcoming you back to Park City!

Highlands Ranch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stayed here on business. Amazing service and incredibly nice property, but that's it. A hotel like this should be compared to awesome mountain properties like the Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch. Unfortunately, it falls short. The property itself is amazing, the rooms are well appointed, the bar area, especially the sports lounge, amazing. The whiskey is second to none. Problem with this property is the area, stuck on a mountainside with little to no infrastructure, away from the main village, etc.

Room Tip: Get a mountain view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank tboz1976
MontageDeerValley, Manager at Montage Deer Valley, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear tboz1976:

Thank you for the kind words you shared about our resort with TripAdvisor members. We appreciate your comments about our well-appointed rooms, bar areas 'amazing service' and Daly's Pub & Rec. Thank you also for noting our 'Book of Bourbon' - with more than 100 whiskeys and bourbons from around the world! We appreciate your saying that the resort is 'amazing.'

The resort's mid-mountain location at Deer Valley Resort gives our guests unparalleled proximity to true ski-in/ski-out access during the winter season and the 400 miles of biking and hiking trails during the summer season. At the same time, our fleet of Mercedes Benz house cars provides complimentary 24-hour transportation to the galleries, clubs, restaurants and shopping of historic Main Street - located just five minutes from the front drive (though the pristine setting of the hotel certainly makes it feel a world away).

Thank you again for joining us and we would be honored to welcome you back to Park City in the future.

New Smyrna Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

Our family of 5 (adult children) stayed at the Montage over the July 4th weekend for 5 nights, enjoying 2 very large adjoining rooms and large outside patio. It is the most beautiful and largest hotel I have seen, beautifully decorated and just a pleasure to lounge around in. The nightly music was tasteful and very enjoyable. Beautiful and expansive spa, pool area and hot tubs. Our room was large and comfy and bathrooms are outstanding. Loved all the special touches that housekeeping provided. Staff was very professional and helpful. Shuttle service was a pleasure to use to take trips to Park City. Loved the s'mores times nightly. It is a very family friendly hotel and was a pleasure seeing the families enjoying times together. We will always remember the Montage as our "castle in the mountains".

Room Tip: First floor rooms in the wings are quiet and our adjoining rooms had a very nice patio. Used the ele...
Green Features: Bath towels can be used more than once. They seemed to be fresh daily. Not sure how often sheets were changed.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
MontageDeerValley, Manager at Montage Deer Valley, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Donna H:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about our resort with TripAdvisor readers. We are so happy you and your family could join us over the 4th of July weekend and that you enjoyed the beautiful rooms and baths and large outside patio, live music, Spa Montage, resort grounds and Alpine Pool Deck. We're glad you were able to utilize the resort transportation for trips to Main Street Park City and that you enjoyed our tradition of nightly S'mores. I will be sharing your complimentary words with our terrific housekeeping team and remind all of our resort associates that their extra efforts to create a personalized experience made a difference for your stay. We look forward to welcoming all of you back to your "castle in the mountains!"

San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

I was so excited to stay at the Montage Deer Valley as I have been on the property in Laguna Beach, CA a few times and it is one of the most beautiful hotels in Southern California. Montage is in the league with Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons so my review is based on what I'd expect out of those hotels. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with my stay at Deer Valley as a lack of attention to many small areas detracted from my enjoyment of the hotel and left me with a negative view. Almost every experience with this hotel fits the "Nice, BUT....." mold.

I reserved the Montage over the Stein Eriksen because of a special package through Chase Luxury Hotel Collection that included a number of attractive perks such as early check-in, guaranteed 4pm checkout, a welcome amenity, breakfast credit, and a couple other things. If I knew I would have to fight to get all of those things I would have just gone elsewhere. I don't understand how a hotel at this level could have partnerships with other major corporations and not get it right. The last thing I want to do on a getaway is go to the front desk and have to argue for everything.

Check in agent was nice, BUT had only a partial list of the perks that came with the package I reserved and I did not like their check-in process. They do this weird thing where they meet you at the front and walk you to your room for check-in. Maybe some people like that, but I thought it was odd and almost an invasion of privacy. Maybe I'm the strange one. The agent couldn't confirm a 4pm checkout and didn't see it in the system. No mention of a welcome amenity. They had no idea if you could see the July 4th fireworks from the hotel. You'd think everyone was asking about that. The agent even confirmed via phone later that a 4pm check out wasn't included but we could call the next day and see if it could be accommodated. I had to end up at the front desk later with the manager and show my confirmation e-mail. Then they magically found it. I mentioned the welcome amenity again as well but wasn't acknowledged.

The room itself is very nice and has what you'd expect - comfy bed, huge bathroom, large toiletries, a patio, fireplace, fridge, and nice lighting. BUT...
1) There is no coffee maker. Actually, I'd expect a Nespresso machine in a hotel like this but there is absolutely nothing. They have free coffee in the lobby from 6am to 9am and a coffee shop open only until 3pm. I was so sleepy from waking up early, I would have loved a Nespresso.
2) There was a loud vent fan right next to my patio so that kind of ruins the peace and serenity. I realize that's just a reality of life but I didn't like it.
3) The turn down service was done for one person but there were clearly two people staying in the room and the reservation was for two. It's the little things that matter!
4) There is no property map in the room. This is a huge place and it is confusing to get around. I usually don't use those maps but would have loved to have known where things were.

This is a beautiful property so you probably don't want to spend too much time in your room. Throughout the property are firepits and Adirondack chairs that you can relax in. If you have kids, you'll love the pool. This hotel was overrun but families but that is to be expected in Utah on a holiday weekend. The grounds are nicely maintained (of course!), BUT...I could not believe the condition of the Adirondack chairs. I took pictures just because I was so surprised. Exposed nails, broken chairs, pieces lying around. Wow - someone is clearly asleep at the wheel. You could seriously injure yourself on this furniture. They should get the plastic version as they are much more durable and comfortable.

The spa is huge and gorgeous! There is a nice lounge with snacks and tea. The hot tub is nice and they have a steam room and sauna. The indoor pool is a short stroll away. BUT...

1) The spa closed at 7pm when we were there but they were intent on kicking everyone out by 6:30. This was infuriating and borderline inappropriate. Don't advertise 7pm hours and then tell everyone they need to get out soon at 6:15. It's a place you are supposed to relax, not get hurried.
2) The spa pool has a food and beverage service - very common and a nice touch. I ordered a beer and 25 minutes later was told they were out. Selected something different and that was brought relatively quickly. However, they have a nerve to tack on a $5 delivery fee on top of the 18% gratuity. The $8 beer quickly turns to more than $13. I have never been at a Ritz or Four Seasons that would have the gall to tack on "delivery" fees to pool service as if it was room service. Wow!

The hotel restaurants are nice and pricey, as you'd expect. Had a decent dinner at Bourbon and Burgers and then breakfast at Apex. The pretzel at Daly's is delicious. This part was surely a highlight... BUT...

1) You could spend an hour trying to find the Bourbon and Burgers place because it is inside Apex and there are NO signs anywhere. It's like they hid it on purpose.
2) Was seated outside at Apex for breakfast and forgotten for about 20 minutes until someone noticed that we hadn't been served.
3) The breakfast credit naturally did not appear on the bill at check-out with the package I had. Yet another thing to beg for and get corrected.

It stinks to only have 48 hours on a trip and go for a relaxing weekend in the mountains and just as you begin to relax and enjoy yourself, something comes up that makes you grit your teeth. Unacceptable for a hotel at this level. The Montage Deer Valley is a lovely property but I would not rush back. If the Montage wants to compete with the best, they have a LOT of work to do. If I want a mountain getaway I would rather go to the Ritz in Lake Tahoe or Bachelor Gulch, CO.

I never did get that welcome amenity but that makes sense since I never felt welcomed here....

Room Tip: Avoid a room next to an exhaust fan. It ruins the serenity of the mountains.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank everyshadeofblue
MontageDeerValley, Manager at Montage Deer Valley, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear everyshadeofblue:

What a disappointment to read how many of the elements of your stay were not to your expectations (or, frankly, to our own internal standards). I appreciate your taking the time to give us this feedback, which I, personally, guarantee that we will use to correct the issues you have enumerated. I am having our engineering team expedite the refurbishment of our Adirondack chairs immediately and I am reviewing your comments with our Guest Services team, Housekeeping (turn down service), In Room Dining beverage service and Spa Montage teams, as none of the requests you made should have been a ‘struggle’ to achieve. We do thank you for the kind words you shared about our Spa Montage facility, resort grounds, restaurants and beautiful rooms and baths.

I’m sorry you were not comfortable with our signature check in service. We have never felt it was appropriate to provide a guest a room key upon check in and wish them ‘best of luck’ in finding their way around a property where they have never been. I understand most hotels have conditioned guests to tolerate this ‘fend for yourself’ attitude, but we have trained our team to provide these personalized escorts as a warm welcome. I completely understand that you found it invasive and, again, I would like to extend our sincere apologies. Upon your return, feel free to let our Guest Services agents know you are very comfortable with the layout of the resort and would like to make your own way to the room – we will most certainly comply with your wishes. While coffee pots in the rooms are not one of our brand standards, upon request we would be more than happy to provide you with a pot coffee in your room replenished throughout the day - and I will make a note that this is something you would expect to have in any future visit.

It is critical that all our guests know they are extremely valuable and are provided our warmest possible welcome. I would invite you to give me a call, personally, prior to your next visit to Park City, so I can make sure our team appropriately compensates you for your less-than-ideal experience last week.

Sincere regards,