“Great hotel, but inconsistent info”

Montage Deer Valley
Ranked #3 of 60 Hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, IL
“Great hotel, but inconsistent info”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I arrived here with my husband and 2 children for a 3-night ski vacation. This is a lovely hotel that attracts well-traveled families during the peak season. To sum it up:

Pros:
- Extremely friendly and unusually attentive staff
- Fantastic ski valet service
- Beautiful spa and fitness
- Nicely appointed lobby, comfy rooms with lovely views, large bathrooms
- Very family-friendly feel...kids were very happy
- Heated outdoor pool; indoor pool also available for kids at certain times
- Healthy options available at breakfast buffet
- Easy check-in and check-out

Things to know:
- Rather poor information systems (I’ll describe later)
- Staff not well coordinated on information (will also describe later)
- Limited onsite dining options (only two primary restaurants and tiny coffee shop)
- Room windows do not open; not all rooms have balconies

As stated earlier, the IS for this hotel may have some coding errors that need to be remedied. We had booked our stay on the Montage website and were quoted a rate of roughly $600 a night for a room with two queens. I received a confirmation email a few days later from a hotel staff member which confirmed our visit, but did not publish the rate. Upon arriving, we were told that our rate was now $900 per night! I tried to double-check my confirmation and realized that the rate was not published in the email and, therefore, had no real way of verifying. We accepted the higher rate because my husband and I are generally non-complainers. But, I will certainly make a screenshot of the web confirmation page in the future.

We had a made a dinner reservation that night through the concierge with the hotel at Apex (their onsite restaurant). The hotel staff had our dinner reservation for our arrival night, but Apex staff had it for the day after…a little strange that the hotel and restaurant would not have the same info.

In addition, we experienced a similar lack of information consistency between the hotel staff and the staff at the onsite ski equipment shop regarding shuttle timings and other ski-related info.

We also booked dinner at nearby Fireside restaurant through the hotel concierge. The hotel staff member suggested that we book the sleigh ride at Fireside, and that the sleigh would pick us up at the hotel and take us to the restaurant. My family does not usually have much of an interest in sleigh rides, but since we viewed it as a means of transportation and we were in the midst of the Christmas holidays, we booked the sleigh ride. When we checked with the concierge desk to confirm the reservation and sleigh ride pick-up, we were told that the sleigh does not pick up guests from the hotel and that we would have to trudge through the snow to get to the restaurant. Luckily, another staff member overheard and told us the hotel offered a driver service for quick trips around the area and gave us the ride. As for the actual sleigh ride, I would not recommend this. We thought it would be a charming holiday ride through a forest, but it was more the equivalent of doing wheelies in a parking lot...a little monotonous and waste of time.

Despite the frequent slips of information handling, we had a great time at the Montage and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Make a screenshot of your web confirmation that lists price
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chicago_Traveler78
MontageDeerValley, Manager at Montage Deer Valley, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Chicago_Traveler78

Greetings from Montage Deer Valley and many thanks for the kind words you expressed about our resort.

We understand that when travelling the quality and reliability of information is critical and rest assured we are addressing the points you have outlined in this regard.

I would like the opportunity to speak with you personally so please call me if your schedule allows at (435) 604-1321 and most importantly, we look forward to welcoming you back to Montage Deer Valley.

David Mars
Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
manhattan beach
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I did not sleep here but had good friends that did so I ended up experiencing every amenity the hotel could offer and was treated just like a guest. The service was first class, the staff friendly, helpful and willing to go the extra mile. From the S'mores after skiing to the kids tubing hill you can not ask for a better place for kids to play and adults to unwind...but, it comes at GREAT cost. I will give you some examples: a glass of Jordan Cab: $30. A bottle of Rombauer $95 (retail is $30). I would suggest stocking the room with Apres-Ski Bevies and do not forget that Dominoes delivers for the kids. All in all, based on my experience, I will go back with enthusiasm but will bring a case of wine.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed at the Montage for 3 nights in early February. There are obviously nice parts about it--the amenities, the sheets/beds, the fitness area/spa.

We were in a room 2 levels above the lobby--our room was basically directly above the entrance driveway. The room itself was pretty but the good view is really on the other side of the property--I felt like I was literally hanging out with the valet or looking at the side of the hotel, so it wasn't worth it to keep our blinds open. Our friends were on the same level as the lobby facing the driveway and said it was awful and quite un-charming.

I felt fairly stuck at the Montage. Aside from the more formal restaurants, there is a single bagel/coffee place open for breakfast where the service is extremely slow because there is only one person working there. I was not skiing as much as my spouse, and I wish I had stayed somewhere where I could more easily explore shops and outdoors. At the Montage you can't even really walk or run outside because you are in the middle of the mountain. I went to the gym every day; the gym is extremely nice, and there is a great pool and spa. A van will drive you into town and pick you up whenever you want--but really is it worth a 15 minute there and back drive with wait times to go on a 3 mile jog?

Last year we stayed at the Sky lodge in town--I found this to be so much more fun--the energy was different and we could walk outside of our doors to music, restaurants, shops, cafes, etc.

We had an issue with the reservation where we had to change the dates of our reservation by one night. The manager on duty handled the issue very poorly--to the extent that the greeter who did in-room check in told me the manager wanted us to know "what we would be responsible for." I found this attitude extremely unprofessional for a resort of this stature. I have never had any issues with management at a 5 star resort in the past. While the staff at the hotel (housekeeping, valet, gym, etc) were extremely friendly, I was extremely turned off by the management issue.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need more insight. Again there are good and bad aspects to staying here. When I debriefed with a college friend of mine lives in Park City and works in Deer Valley; she told me she much prefers the attitude of the St. Regis.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the side facing away from the entrance and facing out to the mountain vista. Ask NOT...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank sparky207
MontageDeerValley, Manager at Montage Deer Valley, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Sparky207,
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback on your most recent stay at Montage Deer Valley.

We certainly work diligently to ensure all of our guests have a wonderful stay and our apologies as this does not seem to be the case with you.

In regards to your comments on limited dining options outside of our traditional restaurants, we are sorry we did not point out our Daly’s Pub which features a casual menu along with vintage arcade and bowling alley.

I would the chance to discuss your stay with you personally so please call me if your schedule allows at (435) 604-1321.

David Mars
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I was nicely surprised about the comfort I felt in this hotel. The room was very nice and quiet . Only bed was very soft, not the best for your back.
Spa in the hotel is amazing. The only thing I can complain is that after I used dry sauna and complained about the low temperature, they close it and it remained close for our 11 days long stay. I hope that next year it won't happen again, because after skiing it is very nice to use the dry sauna.Other stuff there were just perfect.
I also enjoyed the ski service - possibility to have boots, ski etc ...always ready at the enter to slopes.
Next year will come back .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have stayed in five star ++ resorts all over the world, from the Lanesborough in London to the Royal Pita Maha in Bali, and many in between. The Montage Deer Valley was the only resort experience I have enjoyed where I can offer no helpful criticism. The bellstaff had been radio'd in upon our arrival with our last name, and we were escorted immediately to our breathtakingly beautiful room. It was spacious and luxurious. If we were not having our ski boots removed by a ski valet and then having a cup of hot cider handed to us (TED!!), we were sitting by the fire making S'Mores or enjoying a cocktail in the lovely lounge.

We couldn't make it back to the room without finding a professional photograph perched on our bedside table, documenting our outstanding stay and experiences with Jonas the resident Bernese Mountain dog, or our group of posers getting ready to ski, or some other special event (TED!!).

My entire family encountered the most sincere group of service staff I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. We will come back as often as possible, skiing Deer Valley, by the way, is now my favorite.

Room Tip: Our rooms was spacious with two sitting chairs and a fireplace. What more could you ask for?
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
st. louis
Reviewed January 29, 2013

After experiencing four nights at Montage Deer Valley, I can honestly say that the staff, the hotel and all of its services and amenities are in a class of their own. From the valet team who helped us get up and down the mountain in the hotel shuttle, to the staff photographer who was there capturing pictures to make memories, the entire team was polite, helpful and professional. My group went to Park City daily/nightly (shuttle was very convenient), skied (the location just steps from the lifts couldn't be better), tubed down the tube hill (captured on film), ate S'mores by the fireplace, took pictures with the hotel dogs and had food and drinks that were delicious.We had a fabulous time. I hope to be back soon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank GeneralManagerIgnaci
Harpswell, Maine
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I went to the Montage on a day pass and it was superb. The facility is serene, beautiful and nurturing. LIttle details make the difference - dried fruit to snack on in the lounge, gas lights around the hot tub. prickly pear infused water in lovely cisterns to enjoy, luxurious robes and towels. The staff is friendly and helpful, but not overbearing. There's a nice workout facility and you can take classes from spin to stretch. The showers have wondeful products from herbal shampoo to lavender body lotion. And the steam room followed by cold blast and lounging on a chaise to feel the effects and reconnect to yourself - priceless.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo