“Nice But Not Exceptional”

Montage Deer Valley
Ranked #3 of 60 Hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles
“Nice But Not Exceptional”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I don't usually write reviews. Actually, this is my first review. Even though this hotel has a lot of positive feedbacks, the inconsistency service I experienced really compelled me to write this review to let the readers know what to expect if they choose to stay at this establishment. Like most readers and reviewers of 5 star hotels, my review is from a persepective of a world wide traveler staying at most high end hotels. However, this review is focused on comparing Montage to other family oriented luxurious hotels.

Prearrival:
After making my reservation for 5 night stay over Christmas 2012, I was pleasantly contacted via email by guest relation assistant Jenessa. She helpd me with various tasks of setting up my family vacation. She arranged for a Christmas tree in our suite, stockings for my children (5, 3, and 1 year old), sleigh ride, restaurant reservation, lift tickets, etc. She was very thorough, prompt, and polite. I was thnking that if this hotel is anything like how Jenessa was, we should be in good hands. Only minor mistake she made was the ground transporation arrangement. She was planning to send a house van to pick us up at the airport. Not to sound spoiled, but I have yet to step out of a private jet into a van upon arrival. I told her to send an Escalade SUV or equivalent which she complied.

Arrival:
We were promptly picked up at the airport and transferred to the hotel. Check in was smooth. There were many staffs in the front to greet us and help us check in. Ground is very nice with a beautiful view of the mountain.

Room:
We chose the two bedroom Alpine suite on back of the property. This suite is the only suite that gives you a direct access to the slope from the patio. If you have children like me, they will be able to step out on to the patio and play in the snow. This suite is small but the location is much better than the Empire or Presidential suite. Empire suite is slightly bigger. Presidential suite is much bigger but same boring Tuscany decor. Nothing special about theses suites. The walls are very thin with minimal sound insulation. You can hear everything going on in the hallway. Also, the two bedroom suite isn't really directly connecting rooms. You need to go through a foyer to get to your second bedroom. When I see this type of design, it suggest two things, either old construction (like The Lodge at Pebble Beach) or new design who cares more about maximum occupancy rate than client's comfort.

Restaurant:
After check in, we had lunch at it's signature Apex restaurant. We had multiple dining experience (breakfast, lunch and dinner) at this restaurant. They were all good. Nothing exceptional but very good. We're not talking about Michelin rated restaurant here. Staff were many but some were confused about what needed to be done. I had to ask multiple times for water, and waiter often didn't know who ordered what. Also, the staff kept pouring regular ice water into my bottled water glass. Annoying. I stopped them few times but then gave up. I guess not many guests drink bottled water in this hotel. No big deal. It's other main restaurant is the Daily's Pub. Food here is also very good. It's more like a game room (it has bowling alley, Wii consoles, arcade video games, pool table, etc.) that serves food. Service is again spotty but what do you expect in a game room. This hotel has a third small dining area called Yama Sushi. This place is terrible. You can't even call it a restaurant. It's in the hotel lounge where they sectioned off part of it and call it a restaurant. Menu is very limited and food is way below average. Avoid this place. In-room dining was good. Delivery was prompt, and food was in par with most 5 star hotel.

Service:
Like many other 5 star hotels, there were many staffs at Montage who greeted you and said hello as you walked around. These staffs are nice perks but I judge service by how promptly and accurately things are done when I request it. For exmaple, I called the housekeeping for assistance in my suite. I had to call 3 times before they came. I spoke to concierge desk about getting a restaurant reservation. She told me that she will call me back but never did. But what really made me upset was when the hotel shuttle took my family over to a nearby location for late afternoon sleigh ride. When we were dropped off, I told the driver to pick us back up in exactly 30 minutes since that's when the ride was going to be over. He never showed up. It was freezing that night. Imagine being stuck in the cold waiting for a ride with your two young toddlers and a baby. I had to call the hotel mulitple times and waited over 40 minutes before we were picked up. I don't like complaining but I was really upset. I spoke to the manager when I returned. He listened politely and asked me if I was dining at their restaurant that night. I told him yes, and he informed me that he was going to come by and talk to me more about it. He didn't come by, and I never saw or heard from him. This hotel is located up in the mountain. You can't go anywhere without a car. It's few shuttles and house cars are pathetic in providing prompt service. You have to wait 30 to 45 minutes for a ride, and I hate waiting when I'm on vacation. It is free though. Like other 5 star hotels, I would have liked it if this hotel had car and driver service on the premise where you can just jump in and go. I don't mind paying at all for this type of instant service.

Spa/Swimming pool:
Spa facility is very nice. It has dry and steam sauna, very clean and modern. There is small workout room with new cardio equipments and free weights. The indoor swimming pool was also very nice. There were certatin times of day when children was allowed in the pool. My kids really enjoyed it.

Skiing:
Nothing bad here. The hotel is located mid-mountain with excellent skiing options. Ski valet was good overall. You had to wait for things sometimes but not too bad. I put my son in ski school and also private ski instruction. Both were excellent with very attentive instructors.

Overall:
No hotel is perfect. There are always some flaws however minor. I know this and my expectation is always tailored by it. Top notch hotels are all about service. Some properties might be dated, food may not be great, but one common theme these top hotels share is exceptional service. Montage at Deer Valley is average at best. It is not in the same level as lets say Four Seasons or St. Regis (I believe these two hotels are best at serving family accomodation). It's somewhat disappointing since I had good experience at Montage Beverly Hills and Laguna Beach locations. When we were at Deer Valley property, the hotel was near full compacity. If service is poor due to this, it cannot portray itself as a 5 star hotel. Either you need to raise your room rate or hire more staff. Also, I rarely blame the staff for poor service. It's the management who is to blame for not training its staff properly. The management looked really proud that the hotel was at almost full compacity. When I see this, it is a sign of mediocrity. You need to raise your room rate. Elite hotels never shoot for full compacity. If you are a traveler like me who value service above all and willing to pay top dollars for it, avoid this hotel location. St. Regis or Stein Eriksen will be a better choice in Deer Valley.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank Starrblazer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Solvang, California
Reviewed December 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Montage for a romantic "babymoon" vacation before our little one arrives. The hotel itself is huge, gorgeous and estate-like yet very warm and inviting. We stayed in a one bedroom peak view suite. It was very spacious, clean and beautifully decorated without being overdone or presumptuous. It felt like a home away from home. With fireplaces in every room, huge marble bathrooms and gorgeous views we hardly wanted to leave the room during our stay! The service and staff are impeccable and everything one would expect from a five star resort. They remember you, genuinely offer a warm greeting or assistance and are happy to help with any request. The food is very good and they offer a variety from upscale dining and room service, to casual fare at the pub downstairs (which by the way has bowling lanes and pool tables... fun!) My husband also frequented the vista lounge, where the kind and friendly bartenders kept him well served and entertained during my daily must have pregnancy naps. We also frequented the amazing spa. I had a facial, which was to die for, and my skin was glowing for two weeks. My husband is a fitness guru and was so pleased with how large and well stocked the gym was and used it daily. Although we didn't utilize the pool and hot tub, it is a must see: a massive European style atrium lounge with a full size pool and raised hot tub overlooking the snowy valley below through giant windows. We were "wow"ed by everybody and everything at the Montage. Every little detail of this resort comes together to seamlessly create the perfect getaway. You truly never need to leave the building your entire vacation if you so desire. They even have a perfect little coffee shop "Buzz" on the main floor for specialty coffee addicts like myself. We came pre-ski season, but will definitely go again when we can ski as a family as they offer ski in /ski out with locker room, ski concierge and all the trimmings. One thing worth mentioning is the location. It was perfect for us... about 5-8 minutes drive up the hill above the town of Park City... truly a sanctuary and getaway with spectacular views of the entire valley. And oh so quiet! It is a consideration though if you are a family/group looking to walk to other venues, restaurants (although the hotel does offer complimentary SUV shuttle service throughout town). We had a rental vehicle so this was no issue for us. My initial post upon arriving at the Montage sums up our entire, lovely experience here "We just checked into a little slice of heaven."

Room Tip: The peak view one bedroom suite was perfect!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed December 18, 2012

This was our last hotel we stayed at on our journey throughout beautiful Park City! Stayed at 3 different hotels and this one was unfortunately my least favorite of the 3! The views were incredible but you have to drive up the entire mountain to get there! Having two small kids that want to be close to everything thats happening in the town made it very difficult to stay here. We did however LOVE the restaurant, great service and even better food!

2 Thank Katie W
MontageDeerValley, Manager at Montage Deer Valley, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Katie W,

Greetings from Montage Deer Valley and thank you for taking the time to write a review on our resort. While we are thrilled that you enjoyed our resort’s service and cuisine, we are of course disappointed that you found our mid-mountain location not to your liking.

We do hope that we have the pleasure of your patronage in the future and also hope you take advantage of our complimentary Mercedes transportation as well. Please feel free to contact me personally at (435) 604-1321 if I can be of assistance in any way moving forward.

David Mars

Resort Manager
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I have enjoyed several fantastic get-aways to the Montage Laguna Beach and thus felt confidant that I would be just as thrilled with my mid-Dec. trip to the Montage Deer Valley....."Thrilled, over the moon, double back flips is a better way to describe my impression of the Montage Deer Valley. From the first moment you drive up the curving road and see the massive lodge, you know that this is a very special place. It feels like you are embarking on an old European lodge in the Swiss Alps. Even though it's a new property, it has the character and depth of a lodge that's very established. On entrance into the hotel, the service was excellent, almost everyone I encountered knew my last name and gave me a heart felt welcome. I was then walked to my room, and was not disappointed by the fantastic decor. I was traveling with my husband, my mom, and my 2 children, so we booked two rooms side by side. I was very impressed to see that the two rooms shared a foyer and then split off onto opposite sides of the entry way to give you more privacy between the units. This lay out is absolutely perfect for people traveling with a grandparent or a nanny. When I walked into my children's room, my family was blown away by the huge poster that was hanging from the wall. It was huge bold painted letters welcoming each of my kids by name to the Montage. That really provided a "WOW!" moment for me. "This place knows how to do it right", I thought to myself. And that thought carried through for the rest of my incredible 3 night stay. A++++ to you Montage Deer Valley. I honestly wish I could move in and never leave. You have everything I could ever want there: excellent service, excellent food with several restaurant options, a huge game room and bowling alley for my kids, an indoor spa pool and jacuzzi that my husband said reminded him of Hearst Castle, btw that your kids can enjoy for 2 hours in the morning and the evening so as not to feel left out, an amazing gym, a hill for sledding right off my hotel rooms patio, fire pits, an outdoor pool, plus 2 adorable Bernese Mountain dogs that come out 3 times a day to meet the hotel guests and delight your children. The hotel is simply perfect! I honestly don't think I can stay anywhere else the next time I make it to Park City. It's that good.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

I am a 20 year hospitality professional, This resort is as close to perfect as I have ever encountered in a mountain resort. From the facility to the food to the service, I have not found a single thing that is less than perfect. Great job by this brand and the leadership of this fine hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank R2vegas
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel just before Thanksgiving for 3 days, and it was truly a special place. Just when you start to take good service for granted, this place makes you truly feel appreciated and understand what REAL service is about. The resort is impressive upon arrival. It’s beautiful, but you could tell that from the photos. What you don’t see in the photos is exactly how clean and organized everything is. The driveway, the lobby, the hallway, the rooms, everything is perfectly set. From the moment they open the front doors and greet you by name to the front desk awaiting your arrival, you feel as though you are their prize guest.
The rooms: In one word, immaculate. Unless you have a presidential suite, they are small enough to be considered cozy, but that’s good considering how cold it gets. That said, you never feel cramped with walk in closets, showers, and big bathroom. Did I mention there is a gas fireplace in the room? The bathroom and fixtures are straight out of a Kohler design catalogue, and the little things are provided. Q-tips, makeup cleansers, mouthwash, and bar of soap so luxurious and bubbly I actually brought it home for my wife. I could care less about bars of soap, I use tons of them as I travel, but this was memorable. Speaking of memorable, the chocolates they leave bedside every night are delish. These aren’t Andes mints, they are gourmet delicatessens on a level with Ghirardelli or Lindt’s best. The linens are clearly a high thread count and the room is made up discreetly twice a day. See a trend here? It’s top notch.
The resort and spa: Therapeutic. The indoor spa and pool are fantastic, large and comforting. The outdoor spas and pool are heated, so the snowstorm that was going on while I was there was not an issue, and made the outdoor Jacuzzi and pool that much more enjoyable as the snowflake fell.
Service: Excellent. No request you have is too much. To illustrate, they carry Coke products at this resort, but a colleague wanted a Pepsi. The answer was not I’m sorry, but rather, it will take a minute and we can get it. Sure enough after a trip to the local 7-11 (or wherever), they had it. I asked for a Fiji water despite their being generic water in the gym area, sure enough they made it happen a minute or two later. 5 star service.
Overall: It may be pricy during ski season, but it’s truly a top notch resort that ski side. That’s hard to beat. In off season, you can enjoy a beautiful room and resort for much less. Final word, I am trying to find excuses to come back. Enough said.

Room Tip: A humidifier helps if your sensitive to dry mountain air. They will get you one.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank quicksilvergt
salt lake city, ut
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I don't normally complain about hotels, but there was one big "Ewww!" that really colored my stay. After wearing the bathrobe, I slipped my hand into the pocket and found a key card for the room. It wasn't mine and it wasn't my husband's, because we both had them. Obviously, it was left over from a previous guest. It was still in the cardboard sleeve with our room number on it, so it hadn't accidentally been through the wash. The only conclusion I could reach was that I had been wearing an unlaundered robe that a previous guest had worn! This really shocked me, since the housekeeping otherwise was very good.

The staff were okay, but not as accommodating as at other 5-star resorts (notably Stein Ericksen at its best). The accommodations were fine, but the all-beige color scheme was extremely boring and some of the materials (such as the fake-wood composite siding) looked like they would be more at home in a high-end trailer park.

The layout of the hotel is very confusing, and when we asked for a map, the staff said they used to give them out, but they only confused the guests, so they stopped. What?!? They must have been very poorly designed maps to be even more confusing than the beige-beige-beige halls that offered no landmarks. It would have been extremely helpful to have a "You Are Here" sign at the elevators and elsewhere in the labyrinthine halls where it was so easy to get lost.

My husband's company has an annual retreat to Deer Valley, and next year I'm lobbying for a return to Stein Ericksen.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank barbizondamazon
MontageDeerValleyUT, Manager at Montage Deer Valley, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Barbizondamazon,

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns about your most recent visit to Montage Deer Valley. While we are pleased that you enjoyed the accommodations and the food in Apex, our apologies for the experiences you had that necessitated such a review.

Rest assured that all of our laundry including bathrobes are removed and cleaned after each guest departs. We do hope that we have the chance to welcome you back to Montage Deer Valley in the near future.

Please feel free to call me personally at your convenience so that we can assure all of your concerns have been addressed. My direct phone number (435) 604-1321.

David Mars