“Fantastic time at the High West”

High West Distillery & Saloon
Ranked #4 of 266 Restaurants in Park City
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Come visit Utah's first distillery since the 1870's, and the only ski-in gastro-distillery in the world. Located in Old Town Park City, at the bottom of Quit N' Time ski run and next to the Town Lift. High West Distillery and Saloon is an intimate gathering place serving nouveau Western fare, a full selection of fine wine and spirits, and our own small-batch, mountain-crafted, award-winning whiskeys and vodkas.
manhattan beach, ca
“Fantastic time at the High West”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

My husband and I went to High West and had the best time.
Food was great...loved the whiskey glazed cod fish and the Moscow mule (double-yum)

• Visited July 2012
whiskey-food, General Manager at High West Distillery & Saloon, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear M-
thanks for your visit and great review. The Cod and Moscow Mule are our favorites too!
hope to see you again,
Saloon Ops Dir / Exe. Chef

Salt Lake City, Utah
“It's high time you get on over to High West”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

There is no shortage of great food in Park City. Good restaurants are as common as beautiful mountains and Subaru Outbacks up there. Lots of tasty options. But we know the tastiest. High West Distillery and Saloon.

We're practically related to the owner (my sister in laws cousin). We've heard lots about it. Heard it was great. Why oh why did it take us so long to stop in and give High West a whirl?

For some reason burgers at a saloon in Park City never quite made the top of my list when there are so many other spots I love. That's a lousy excuse, eh? I hate excuses. Especially ones that keep me from delicious food.

The atmosphere is perfect. Perfect for a family dinner. Or a nice dinner with your spouse. Or a fun night with your friends. You would feel comfortable in a cowboy hat and huge belt buckle or a sparkly shirt and heels (hey! I was on my way to a Michael Jackson/symphony concert so naturally there some sequins). This is a place where anything goes.

We looked over the menu. Interesting and impressive. We were hoping the food would taste as good as it sounded. Normally we would have glossed over the Shishito peppers. We aren't huge pepper fans. But that is what the experts suggested so we got them.

Always listen to the experts.

We ordered their summer special corn and clam chowder, the Bison steak with chimichuri butter, and the schnitzel. Our mouths were watering. Luckily we weren't too drooly when our server brought out bread. Two little cornbread looking biscuit things and some...rye? I started with the cornbread thing. Stop the press. This is the best cornbread I've ever had. Is it cornbread? I think so. I wanted to order a dozen more. And then more to take home. They should have a who-can-eat-the-most-cornbread-biscuits contest. Betcha I'd win. Unless my husband was also in the contest. He loved the bread too. Nice start High West. Well played.

Then the peppers came out. Um, hi. I guess I do like peppers. My favorite was the whiskey battered. And the roasted. They were both delish. The pink sauce they served with the dish took away from the taste of the peppers. And I'm usually a sauce girl. This sauce looked right up my alley. But it was just meh. And the peppers were wow.

The soup was not what we expected. It was brothy and the flavor was subpar. We were on a pepper/cornbread high. The soup was a kind of a buzzkill.

Our main courses arrived and looked beautiful. Aesthetically pleasing doesn't always mean palate pleasing. In this case it did. Pleasing seems like too subtle a word. Our palates were beyond pleased. We were back on our food high.

My bison steak was cooked to perfection. The veggies were great and I asked for another dollop of butter. She brought me two. Nice.

Our other dish was equally divine. I would consider myself a schnitzel connoisseur. I love a good schnitzel. And this one tied for my all-time favorite. It was crisp enough. Had the perfect amount of sauce. Topped with carmelized crispy pancetta. Need I say more? It was wonderful.

We ate ourselves silly. Just as we were about to order dessert we realized we were going to be late for the concert. So sad. I've heard their donut is to die for. So I will be back.

I will be back for your pulled pork. Your burger. Your lemonade. Your short ribs. Your brussel sprouts. Your desserts. All the things I wanted to try but didn't for lack of time and room in my belly. Yes, High West I will be back. Our next meeting can't come soon enough.

More info http://www.onourbeatenpath.com/2012/07/high-west-best-of-park-city-eats.html

• Visited July 2012
whiskey-food, General Manager at High West Distillery & Saloon, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
hi havkidswiltravel-
thanks for your visit and great review! experts say: gotta try the burger, pulled pork, s'mores and grillswith. That would have sent the "food-buzz" off the charts. Please let us know when you are coming back. I'll make sure you re-try the cockle clam and corn chowder. It is one of our most popular soups; sorry we dropped the ball on your bowl.
saloon Ops dir / executive chef
San Diego, California
“Great Food and Service”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This is a working distillery. It's had to get in without a reservation. The decor is very western. We went there for lunch. The food was very good and our waitress friendly.

Visited August 2011
diane-
thanks for your visit and great review. We are sorry you have had hard times getting in. We are working on resolving this problem. "friend" us on facebook and stay current with our new locations!
james
saloon ops dir / executive chef
Dallas, TX
“Loved this place!”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

The food was unique, in season and delicious! Everything we had was very memorable. The service was top notch. The whiskey's were very good, and I learned a lot about the distilling process. Loved the location and atmosphere. Be careful if you try the moonshine- it's potent!

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank Christian377
, General Manager at High West Distillery & Saloon, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Christian-
We just wanted to thank you for your visit and great review. Sounds like you had the full high west experience right down to the silver (moonshine) whiskey. Thank you for helping us spread the High West word!
Boston, Massachusetts
“A lovely gem of a restaurant”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We visited in early July and was very surprised that most restaurants close by 9 or 9:30pm. We found this wonderful Saloon that stayed open till at least 10:30-11. The staff were amazing and the drinks with their own homemade vodka were the best in town. I would highly reccomend a stop here on your next visit to Park City......