“A Wonderful but busy "ski in - ski out" Resort in Utah” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis Deer Valley

The St. Regis Deer Valley
Ranked #9 of 60 Hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersSilver level
“A Wonderful but busy "ski in - ski out" Resort in Utah”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

This is a great hotel but avoid school half term as it was just too busy and the excellent staff were stretched. Public places like the lobby and terrace were competitive and frankly not relaxing.
Arrived with much anticipaton but the room was not ready, disappointing given room rate which is expensive. Staff at front desk were young and not capable when we checked in which added to the annoyance and when we returned from dinner, no turndown service. There is clearly no com cation between different departments, ie one evening I called the butler to complain about no turndown but said with children it was too late but still Housekeeping knocked on the door ten minutes later while kids were sleeping. Food excellent however both in room dining and the main restaurant . Service also good and the Butlers were responsive. However when one pays "Aman like" prices, one expects amazing service, they were just too busy to deliver even great service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Deer Valley, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear patrick_hogan,

First off I would like to thank you for your feedback. President’s Week is our busiest time of year and I am so sorry you did not feel relaxed while you were here. Second, you are absolutely right. Our busy time is not an excuse for the problems you experienced and we strive to create a stay above and beyond expectations. I hope you’ll return again to feel a flawless and relaxing stay, improved from your most recent. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

The St. Regis Deer Valley is simply the best ski resort in Deer Valley. First the location - it is on the Deer Hollow run, ski-in/ski out. You take the elevator from your floor to the lower lobby, and you will find ski valet on your right, and Jans ski rental shop on your left. There is also a Deer Valley resort desk where you can buy lift tickets and arrange for ski lessons. It can't get any easier than this.

There are multiple nice resorts that are ski-in, ski-out. What sets St Regis apart is that the hotel's funicular on the other side takes you directly down to Snow Park lodge within minutes, where the kids ski school / child care facility is located. Our daughter loved the ski school. Every morning, we just dropped her off, then we were off on our own. If you stay at Montage or Waldorf, it won't be this convenient if you have kids going to ski school.

Service is top notch. Every staff member is friendly and helpful, and they start to remember you names after a couple of days. The ski valet service is excellent. If you rent skis, the Jans rental shop will take all your rentals to ski valet, who keeps all the equipment overnight. They offer to help to put on and take off boots. When you are ready to go out, the skis are outside waiting for you on the snow. When you come back in, you can just leave the skis on the snow and walk back you.

The room is beautiful. We stayed in a huge suite, with a separating living room, bedroom, 1.5 bath, and a full kitchen. It was so comfortable.

The restaurant J&G Grill is one of the hottest tickets in town. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner never disappoints.

The Remede spa is relaxing and beautiful. The heated outdoor pool is a nice touch with the views of the mountain.

The hotel has a lot of nice traditions, that are complementary to the guests - coffee/tea in the morning; hot chocolate bar with various toppings (chocolate chips, marshmallows, M&M's, whipped cream) in the afternoon; making smores by the outdoor fire pit in the evening. Various kids activities such as making gingerbread house or 'kids night out' (basically let parents to have a nice dinner on their own) were offered during our stay.

With such a great hotel as the St. Regis, and the terrific terrain and conditions at Deer Valley, we eagerly look forward to returning next year.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a large family, you will enjoy the suite. Don't miss the hot chocolat...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

St. Regis Deer Valley exceeds the St. Regis reputation. Beautiful location, private & isolated from town (comp. car service will take you too and from the village until 11pm daily), ski in/ski out is amazing, impeccable service, to-die-for hot chocolate bar in the afternoons, smores by the fire nightly, peaceful and serene. They did an amazing job isolating the busy bar & restaurant from the hotel lobby & library by creating a separate entrance for non-hotel guests. Most importantly, they treated us as if were were the only guests in the hotel, always receiving 100% of their attention. No hold times, no waits, just like flying first class. We love you St. Regis Deer Valley and will be back for next year's ski season!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We went to the St Regis Deer Valley to ski and celebrate my 45th birthday in February. The staff could not have been nicer! 5 stars all the way around.

The room:

This first thing I want to note is how quiet this place is at night or in the morning. If you want to sleep in you will not be disturbed. You will not hear doors slamming or people in rooms next to you at all. This was a welcome change for a hotel! I had originally booked a deluxe room but was offered a great rate a week or two before my arrival to upgrade to a Deluxe suite, and I am so glad I did. It was more like a home away from home rather than just a hotel room. I was escorted to my room by my butler and found Champagne and chocolate waiting for me with a birthday card. This was a very nice touch. My special occasion was remembered by several staff members during my stay. The suite was huge at 900 Sq ft and had 2 fireplaces, 2 balconies, a full kitchen and master bath plus a powder room bathroom. There was a full sized dining table and a great den area complete with full sized couch and a coffee table that had some nice books which I was able to take some time to go through while relaxing.

Location

I love this location. A true ski in ski out property. It is right on the ski trails but close enough to town to make it an easy trip there for shopping or dinner.

Everyone here is so nice! My wife and I both remarked how this was not the nice one gets just because you a paying quite a bit to stay here, but rather that this staff is genuinely friendly and happy in what they are doing.We had a number of very pleasant conversations with the staff about Deer Valley and Park City in general. I had a few special requests that they happily accommodated me on, and quickly. They make it so easy with the ski valets I am so spoiled now. They have your skis waiting for you every morning right outside once they help you put your books on. I never once had to carry my skis in or out. 5 stars for the ski valet and convenience factor.

Extras

The best hot chocolate I have ever had was served everyday along with in whipped cream, marshmallows, and chocolate shavings from 3-5 in the lobby and was something we looked forward to everyday. If you have not had your chocolate fill after that, then from 7-9pm every night they offered the guest complimentary smores out by the fire pit. It is a good thing I was burning lots of calories skiing! Lastly, and this a big one for the convenience factor.... the St Regis has a fleet of Cadillac Escalades to run you into Park City to dine or shop and would also take you to PCMR to ski as well if you wanted. This was exceedingly helpful and the drivers were are super friendly.

The Spa

This is a gorgeous facility. I booked a 90 minute massage and was very pleased with it. I forget the therapist name but but she was great. I was so sore after skiing for many days and this really helped me be able to get back to feeling better. They also have steam room, sauna, and hot tub as well which is great after a massage.

J&G Grill

We had a lovely meal here and I had arranged to be seated at the chef's counter which was really fun and we got to interact a bit with the chef's. They even let us sample a few things. I would put this meal up in the top ten best for us. The special that night was a Sea Bass which was to die for.

My only disappointment was in the boutique. I really wanted a shirt, fleece, jacket or some piece of clothing with the St Regis Deer valley logo on it. They did have a number of really nice items we both liked but everything in both our sizes was sold out. I had this exact same problem when I was at the St Regis in Princeville so I hope they take notice and start ordering more as apparently this problem and not just here. The manger did say she would try to order the shirt I wanted, but my wife was out of luck as all the winter women's stuff was sold out from their manufacture.

I would love to return one day to the St Regis Deer Valley and I would highly recommend it. My wife does not even ski and she was able to use the time to just take in the beautiful mountain scenery and relax. She even wants to return and said she may take a lesson next time. We both just loved the look and feel of the place. This is by far the best ski resort hotel we have stayed at. I think the location is better than the Montage as that puts you so far away from town making one too isolated. I did go in one day for a drink there and while it is nice it just served to firm up my opinion that I would rather be at the Regis.

Room Tip: upgrade to a suite!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly_TPM
Dear Kelly_TPM,

Thank you for your detailed review! We are so happy you enjoyed the property. We have already taken steps to improve the boutique and I know our spa has coordinated with Princeville to send you your desired items. We hope to see you again soon. Enjoy!
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel, with great service. Access to the mountain and the ski services are fantastic. The food in the restaurant and bar are really good - you can be casual at the bar or a little dressy at the restaurant and either hits the mark. But there is a certain charm lacking - the entrance and lobby area are immaculate but feel a big sterile and corporate.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We will definitely be coming back. The service is truly exceptional in all aspects. My wife fell while skiing and hurt her face and lip. They had a staff member check her out and sent ice cream and toppings to her room. The ski in /ski out is a real plus. All staff were always cheerful and helpful. The transportation provided was always on time. Any little inconveniences were negated by the overall experiences we all encountered. The food was exceptional at any meal but the truffles pizza cant be missed , nor the jalapeno margaritas. Also highly recommended is the spa. What a great way to unwind after a day on the slopes.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Family of four (couple, 11 year old and 7 year old) stayed at the St. Regis for five nights. Here’s a summary of our experience.

Positives
• Location – you can’t beat the gorgeous location, beautiful slope views, ski in/out amenity, Jans equipment rental on premise
• Ski valet – over-the-top service that includes help with putting on/taking off your boots, quick pick-up/delivery, and permanent smiles on the entire staff. Kudos to Vanessa and her team.
• St. Regis Traditions – champagne saboring, hot chocolate bar, and smores were fun events and a hit with the entire family
• Room Service – wide variety, beautiful presentation, and excellent service. The $5.00 delivery charge, 23% service charge, and fill-in-the blank gratuity are steep, but the entirety of the product is excellent.
• Concierge – came through as expected with necessary reservations, but also provided very good suggestions (Lofty Peaks for Snowmobiling and Tubing) and helpful tips (no corkage fee at the Seafood Buffet on the first bottle)
• Platinum Breakfast Amenity – a very welcomed and appreciated $40 breakfast credit

Negatives
There were very surprising pockets of chinty-ness which disappointed:
• (Cliché Alert) “Never look a gift horse in the mouth” BUT “If you’re going to do it, do it right.” Such is the case with the three aforementioned Traditions. On two separate occasions, the 2-hour hot chocolate bar ran out of hot chocolate and there was a 15-minute wait for the new batch. I never saw any employees visiting the smores area during this two-hour event, thus resulting in an absence of napkins and a generally unkempt area. During the champagne saboring, about 75% of the heater lamps were not turned on because the hotel had run out of propane.
• The breakfast oatmeal bar which provided a quick alternative to the restaurant was temporarily closed so “that the guests would dine at the restaurant” according to one employee. Yeah, I bet!
• Low-end toilet paper. Rough! No more need be said.
• Non-plush towels. Pretty standard towels, and a far cry from the decadent Ritz quality.
• “Not a problem.” Call me old school, but when I say thank you, I expect to hear, “you’re welcome” or “it’s my pleasure.” When staying at the St. Regis, I don’t believe that I’m ever creating a potential problem.

All-in-all, it was an extremely enjoyable stay with a few minor disappointments. The kids (and their parents) will forever be spoiled during future ski vacations elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Monjeme
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Deer Valley, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear Monjeme,

Thank you so much for your detailed review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and your experience with Vanessa and the Ski Valet team. Our St. Regis traditions are an important feature of your visit, and what you experienced during your stay is not what we strive for on a daily basis. We have already made improvements from the feedback you have given us, and so appreciate you taking the time to share this. We hope that you’ll reach out to us when you and your family return and allow us to exceed your expectations in every way.