“Good hotel in a great location”

The St. Regis Deer Valley
Ranked #13 of 60 Hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Good hotel in a great location”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Stayed at the property for 5 nights over the first week of the 2013 ski season - initial impressions were positive - after you get out of your car, you ride a funicular (basically a tram on the ground) up the mountain face to the main hotel area on top of a hill. My 3 year old daughter enjoyed riding the funicular several times during our stay. Check in was relatively seamless and after waiting a bit for an upgraded room, we were able to get into our deluxe suite. The room layout was excellent and the entry door was very solid. I don't recall hearing any noise outside of the room during our stay. For sleeping accommodations, there was 1 king bed in the bedroom and a foldout sofa in the other room. Having a full kitchen and dining table was helpful for quickie breakfasts and lunches. To this end, during our stay, we drove over to the local grocery store and stocked up on supplies. If interested in alcoholic beverages, you may want to take a trip to the county liquor store as well as there were no adult beverages in the minibar...I assumed it was a Utah law issue. You can order from room service however. The unit had 2 fireplaces and 2 balconies, as well as an excellent view of the mountains (see the attached photos). The gas fireplaces were a nice touch, but beware that the glass enclosures get hot enough to boil water. An upholstered chair that was a few inches away from the fireplace actually started to smolder at one point. So needless to say, if you have young kids with you, you may want to be careful with the use of the fireplaces. The St. Regis standard tv in the bathroom mirror is nice to have but the picture quality is a bit grainy. My only real quibble with the room was the poor quality of the wireless internet. In a room that is over $1k/night, you expect certain things... in my case I expect the internet to be usable. It would often cut out, which made downloading Doc McStuffins episodes for my daughter to watch on the ipad pretty impossible... I received the wireless for free as I am an SPG gold member, but I definitely would have asked for a refund had I paid for it. The room also came with butler service, which we didn't really utilize all that much. However, the butler did provide us with a complimentary bottle of wine on our first night, which was a nice touch. Overall the room was excellent.

Moving along to the other features of the property - the general service at the property was good and everyone was friendly. If you ask, they can take care of pretty much anything you need. However, compared to other properties at this price point, it wasn't anything special.

The bar and restaurant - good quality food/environment, which is to be expected. The menu was a bit limited, I believe we ate there for 2 meals during the trip. There are many great options in the local area - Talisker on Main, Apex at the Montage, Glitretind at the Stein Eriksen, High West Distillery (less formal than the others) to name a few.

Spa - had a massage here, excellent facility, nothing out of this world, but solid. Offers a steam room, sauna, hot tub

Pool - I didn't use, but my wife and daughter did briefly. It looks nice, but they thought the water was a bit cold considering the outdoor air.. the hot tubs were good.

Their ski beach and outdoor pavilion was under construction while I was there (this was noted when I booked, but was said to be done before I arrived, and the message was taken down from their website which would lead you to believe that it was finished).

The ski valet staff in the basement are great - they'll help with your boots and gear. Also there is the ability to purchase lift tickets right on the spot at the hotel, as well as rent equipment on site. True ski-in/ski-out, but not for first-timers (like my daughter). Instructors from Deer Valley can meet you here as well, though again not for first-timers.

Overall location was perfect for easy access to the deer valley ski area base - you can take the funicular down and walk 2 minutes or they will take you down in a shuttle (which actually takes slightly more time as the road down the mountain is predictably long and windy). My daughter was going to the fawn program at the ski school, so it was nice to be so close to the site. Other properties such as the Montage or Stein Eriksen are higher up the mountain so would be a longer commute to get to the ski school. Those resorts seem to be more geared to slightly older kids and more experienced skiers and their families.

The shuttle service was excellent - they'll take you into town or other resorts in their fleet of escalades and pick you up when you need a ride back.. of course this could get busy if the hotel is booked up, but it worked well for us.

The real gem is the Deer Valley Resort ski area - great children's center, great instructors.. and the St. Regis being so close to the base, Snow Park, is very helpful for anyone with kids.

My overall view on the St. Regis Deer Valley is that it is a very well located and nice property and while definitely a luxury property, I would describe it as having a "generic luxury" feel - everything you would expect at this level, but nothing truly special that separates it from its peers. I was slightly underwhelmed when I compare this property to other similarly priced resorts I have frequented in the past. Would I recommend staying here again if visiting Park City? With small children, yes. For slightly older kids/no kids trips, assuming you are an ok skier, I would be interested in checking out the Montage. With the caveat that it is a first impression only, I was pleased with their service level when we visited for dinner. They treated us like hotel guests and fawned over our daughter, which she always appreciates. The price point is similar to the St. Regis.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jma5000
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Deer Valley, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear jma5000,

Thank you for your detailed review of your visit with us! We so appreciate your feedback and hope that you and our family will return again soon. We are very happy to announce that in the early new year our internet speed will be increased and new access points will be installed so that your downloads will be a much improved process. Additionally, the Mountain Terrace construction will be complete this month, and the ski beach is open already. Thank you again and we wish you a very happy New Year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California
Reviewed December 14, 2013

St. Regis was exceptional from the moment I arrived. The staff was gracious and provided wonderful service. The rooms are spacious and the grounds are beautiful.
Chef Shane and his staff are outstanding at the Grill. I recommend eating at the counter, its such a fun experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jody F
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

The St. Regis resort Deer Valley

We checked into the St. Regis on Sunday afternoon for Thanksgiving week I was taken aback by the beauty and elegance of the ski resort. To enter the resort you get to ride on a really cool funicular that has panoramic views of Park City and Deer Valley. We checked in and Vanessa was outstanding what a friendly young lady - we had a great conversation about her living on Main Street in Park City and how much she enjoys working at the St. Regis the organizational culture here is outstanding and came through immediately in chatting with Vanessa. Vanessa was very well-trained in all the amenities and accoutrements that this resort has to offer and let me tell you, they offer a lot. We went up to our room on the sixth floor and couldn't believe what a stunning slope side view we had overlooking the pools and patio decks. The rooms have delightful balconies and soul warming fireplaces. The bathroom is spacious and beautiful - marble floors a wonderful travertine tile weaved wall, I've never seen anything like it, wonderful full-size spa tub and double sinks. A spacious marble and glass shower with both a wall and ceiling mounted showerhead - I never knew a shower could feel so good. The sundry and cosmetic amenities are top-of-the-line and the bathroom was set up beautiful by housekeeping. I saw a remote control sitting below the bathroom mirror (which is huge) and I couldn't figure out what it operated, so I clicked power...

Immediately the bathroom mirror transformed into high definition television. Now that's impressive. The beds are firm and the best that are available on the market I am a bed connoisseur.

We took a few photographs of the stunning views and then went out to explore the resort. Level after level floor after floor - there are nothing but impressive features. The architecture and the building materials of this resort are top-of-the-line and there natural, it makes you feel like you're on the side of the mountain, and you are. I don't know who the designer is but they had to of won some awards with the work they did at this resort - it's beautiful in the most elegant way. It's not ostentatious or so plush that it has the feel that they're trying to hard. It's simply elegant and very comfortable you sincerely enjoy just sitting around wherever you're at - be it at the library or one of the many outdoor decks or just the lobby area which they call the grand salon. I would've named it the spectacular salon because it truly is spectacular. I flew in from Boston where I live and the time changes a few hours so I was up at five in the morning searching for coffee. Kyra saw me wandering around and quickly approached me and extended a sincere warm good morning greeting. What a delightful young lady we chatted it up for a few moments and I explained to her that I wasn't quite used to the time change and was looking for coffee, she went way out of her way to help me - the coffee service in the library is outstanding but they don't present it until 6 AM so I was about an hour early but she made a few phone calls and they set up a smaller little in room dining complementary coffee cart station for me and she had it sent right down to the lobby. Now that is service at its best. They didn't just make coffee for me early that morning - they made a great memory for me, and I love that about this place, they do it again and again.

Later in the evening we went to the JB Grill. Again A very comfortable elegant and beautiful public space. They have a wonderful bar that goes clear around the kitchen cooking line, so you can sit upon a tall stool and watch the chefs prepare outstanding cuisine. Watching them passionately perform their artwork was amazing, there was so much care and concern dedicated to every plate. They pull their sauté pans out gracefully and delicately baste and baste and baste until their featured items are prepared perfectly. We had the six course tasting menu and I would highly recommend it to anyone. The St. Regis Deer Valley is living at it's best we will never forget the wonderful experience we have had here and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed November 24, 2013

St. Regis is one of the best hotels I've ever been to. The hotel itself, the rooms, the service, the food, everything is outstanding. In the hotel restaurant (j&b grill, i think) we would call the Chef in every meal, and he would do the dishes exactly as we wanted (thanks Chef Alex for the awesome food).
The hotel is quite expensive, but is worth every single penny.

• Stayed November 2013
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This is an outstanding hotel with great service in a unique and relaxing environment. There is a lot to do in the summer and winter and the grounds are beautiful. The dining options are a bit limited at the venue but it is close to downtown Park City and the surrounding area.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Christina R
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Deer Valley, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Christina R, thank you for the great comments! We hope to see you back soon.
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

We requested an upgrade to a suite and were given the best one in the house. Incredible view, 2 fireplaces, huge Bath ( TV in the mirror) rain forest shower and sunken tub. But the very best was Alex, our British butler!!! So helpful, he made anything possible?
The entire staff at the hotel was more than could be expected. This was a wonderful trip and we will go back. Oh yes and a super spa and athletic club.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Carolyn1127
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Deer Valley, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Carolyn1127,
We’re so happy that you enjoyed your suite. Alex is the head butler for all of St. Regis so you were definitely in good hands. Thank you for your review and we hope to see you back soon!
SC
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We were diverted from W Vieques ahead of Hurricane Irene and had to end up somewhere Delta flew and had a Starwood property. Polar opposite from a sunny beach, but couldn't have asked for any better alternative. We had never been to Park City, much less a ski resort in the summer, but anyone having an opportunity to visit this hotel should do so. Coming from the humid and flat Deep South, it was totally mesmerizing to be in such a beautiful landscape, and even the high heat was comfortable. St. Regis Deer Valley is second to none. The service, amenities, activities and atmosphere were all first class. We felt like activities director Robbie Preece was like our own personal guide to the hotel and city. The bike riding and hiking were excellent on the property and especially off. Park City is a wonderful town, and the St. Regis offers complimentary shuttle service around town...even though it is within walking distance. The vistas are great, the restaurant and of course the St. Regis bar were top notch as well. Even though we were hoping to vacation on an island, St. Regis Deer Valley was probably as good of an experience as we could have asked for.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Deer Valley, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
CarolinaTripfish,

What a fabulous story! We love that you enjoyed your unexpected diversion from the island. Robbie has all of the great insider knowledge of Park City and he is thrilled that you felt so special. We hope that you will get to experience Puerto Rico soon, but hope even more that you’ll be back to visit us. Thank you for your review!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Park City
Homestead Resort
Homestead Resort
#2 of 2 in Midway
Hotel Park City, Autograph Collection

Been to The St. Regis Deer Valley? Share your experiences!